1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA expands area behind the basket

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NL Rocket, Aug 26, 2014.

1. CertifiedTroll

Mehh I like it, simply because the players dont have to worry as much about where they land. It may lead to some harder drives to the basket.

2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

It wasn't a freak accident, that stanchion was too close. It was a scrimmage but it's still no excuse.

3. Zbed

Zbed Member

Aren't the Fiba stanchions closer than NBA stanchions. I think in the NBA you have an extra foot or so.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Under the basket angles can be cool for still shots, but are horrible for live-action shots. I'm glad that they've slowly gone away from switching to the baseline camera for breakaway slams. Just keeping it at the standard TV angle gives a much better view IMO.

5. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I agree 100% also if they want a different view, the backboard view is just fine. It is basically the same as the baseline view, but from above...

6. torocan

torocan Member

Long overdue, and in fact they should have gone further. It scares the crap out of me every time I see a player crashing into the photographers or the fans with floor seats. There should be enough room for players to land without worry about whether they'll land on a chair or a cameraman.

And the NFL has cameramen on the sidelines, but it's very different than the NBA. The NFL players aren't landing on wood flooring, the media are generally standing, and there's a LOT more room for people to get out of the way when they see a player running at them with a full head of steam. Not to mention NFL players are wearing helmets and padding and there's padded walls to break their momentum... it's far more likely the media guy gets hurt than the player. They're also not usually running full steam while jumping high into the air on every play.

As for FIBA rules, the stanchions that hurt PG in LV weren't in compliance under NBA or FIBA rules. NBA rule is 4' minimum from the baseline, though most NBA teams set their stanchions even further back than that. Thomas and Mack was 3'11" (shorter than even the minimum NBA distance).

Here is an image from Eurobasket 2013... notice the distance of the stanchions and the absence of ANY photographers under the basket, and that court side seats are separated by a padded barrier.

[​IMG]

Here is one of the 2012 Olympics

[​IMG]

The problem is that UNLV was a NCAA court, not a Fiba or NBA court.

7. afk

afk Member

So it's the PG-13 rule.

8. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

ABOUT DAMN TIME.

Seriously.

I cannot remember a player being seriously hurt by running into reporters (at least not to the point where they miss games), but was the league going to wait until something like that happened to make a change?

I'm glad they made the change.

9. Marteen

Marteen Member

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I dont know about soccer, but i remember the eric cantona incident in premier league if ur familiar with soccer (old school soccer)

11. PhiSlammaJamma

If they put a camera on James Harden, we could all watch the offense with very little motion disturbance.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Good, they should have done this a long time ago.

13. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

About time, kinda got annoying watching players crashing into the camera men after a hard foul or block.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden has been our on-court camera man to take video of the opponent's offense.

Mystery solved. :grin: