1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Season-ending Q&A with Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fritz145, May 8, 2008.

1. fritz145

fritz145 Member

All,

Finally managed to catch up with Mr. Morey last night. I tried to incorporate as many of your questions as possible. Keep in mind, he's not free to discuss players on other teams or draft eligible prospects on the record, so those of you wanting to know about specific guys won't be able to glean that information from him, I'm afraid. Anyway, here's the link:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/ballz/2008/05/qa_with_daryl_morey_whats_next.php

Once again, thank you all so much for your critiques, comments and suggestions throughout the year. They've all been immensely appreciated, so please keep them coming. Most of all, thank you so much for reading. Stay in touch.

JCF

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice work Jason !

DD

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thanks Fritz! Great job as always!

I figured that was what Morey would say about a D-league team. If they can change the rules for the players to make it more of a farm system I think it would be a great way to develop our team.

Look forward to your posts during the off-season.

#3 Hayesfan, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Sounds like a draft day trade involving our pick and one of our players is a distinct possibility. I think the Rockets are more interesting in improving by acquiring an experienced scorer rather than getting another younger player.

5. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Great article fritz. I just wish someone would ask the hard questions and we could get a straight answer. Everything he said there is pretty much what you would expect him to say. I know it won't happen for a number of reasons, but thanks for the interview!

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What I like about Morey is that you know he has done his homework. When he says McGrady is the best passing wing, you know it's not just his subjective opinion but he has some sort of hard evidence to back it up.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I have to say ... I'm sort of skeptical on that stat. The Rockets were not a great 3-point shooting team or inside scoring team. But then again, neither is Cleveland so I suppose its possible. I wonder how Kobe would rank on that.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good Interview

Just wish you could have snuck in a Stevie Franchise Update

Rocket River

9. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

thx a lot for the very informative interviews jason. :)

10. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

That was a fritzin good job you did there man !

11. fritz145

fritz145 Member

Ask and you shall receive.

Francis is rehabbing and has told the Rockets he is committed to coming back and helping the team. He doesn't want his career to end like this. So the Rockets are hopeful and have their fingers crossed; especially since the Stevie of old would give them exactly what they need (scoring and play-making). That said, the team remains fully aware they can't simply assume Francis will somehow be able to turn back the clock. So in other words: If it works out, they'll be thrilled. If not, they'll be prepared.

JCF

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Sounds like Corey Maggette to me.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Sounds good. Francis is exactly what DM was describing in terms of what we need. An offensive minded player that can break his man down and score. This is a win-win situation. If Francis can contribute, great. If not, they can always package him in a trade or keep him as our cheerleader. I also like hearing that he doesn't want his career to end like this. Shows motivation that he really wants to get back and help this team.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Thanks for the international update. I'd been wanting to hear Morey's opinion on that for some time.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Or RJefferson?

16. wingz0

wingz0 Member

I agree. Some subtle hints there, but it's quite clear that the logical choice right now would be Corey Maggette.

Once again, nice article JF, always looking forward to your stuff. Cheers mate.

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I don't think Corey Maggette will push us over the top. (I'd honestly rather have Richard Jefferson)

Think Rashard Lewis in Orlando or AI in Denver. On paper it's a big addition but in reality I don't think it'll be as big of impact.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You are quite the man

Thank you!

Rocket River

19. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

excellent interview

20. GMNot

GMNot Member

Coupled with Adelman's comments about how he thinks the Rockets have a good "core" group and that with an upgrade or two, thinks they can play with anybody in the league, it sounds like a trade is the preferred route to upgrade. Most likely to be involved -- Head, Hayes (unless he becomes an offensive beast :rolleyes: ) and/or Harris at the least + draft pick(s); maybe Brooks depending on who the incoming player might be. But as Morey mentioned they don't want to give up their defensive identity. So I wouldn't expect any major defensive piece, (such as Battier) to be on the list, unless you get equal defensive capability back along with some offensive improvement. I think Battier stays in Houston for next year.

Even if Mutombo decides to come back you can't put all your eggs in that backup basket. They have to have a third big man. Is it Woods with some offseason work? Probably not. We'll just have to wait and see. If Mutombo doesn't come back, priorities shift in a hurry.

I hope the player development includes Scola making dunking second nature. Free throws for EVERYONE is a given... AND everyone learning to LOVE contact -- Francis can tutor. ;)