1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solving the College Football Pay Issue

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MosKeemYao, Jul 23, 2014.

1. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

I think the main reason why this is such a big issue is because there isn't a non-amateur minor league for the NFL, so CFB acts as it.

To resolve it how about CFB teams being able to offer scholarships like they normally do but have a salary cap ($3m) which they can offer to players who don't want an amateur tag. It would be like free agency (term length, amount...) these players would then be professionals so they have no obligation to attend the school (it would be out of pocket).

This could potential benefit smaller market schools who could offer all there money to one superstar and have a team of scholarship players and so forth.

Good?Bad?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It would be interesting to see how many would opt for a scholarship vs. a lump-sum payment every year for their participation in a college football program.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I think there are a number of things that should change about the NCAA rules, I think all the clamor about paying athletes, and star athletes, completely misses the mark.

The issue is allocation of revenue brought in, not "how much those athletes" make for the school while getting "screwed" themselves. So yes clearly athletes should be able to do certain things - get jobs, have bigger daily stipends, whatever. But the bigger issue is how much coaching staffs make, etc.

At the end of the day, the system is completely based on the underlying school structure. Meaning, it's not Johnny Manziel that is the A&M program, but rather the A&M program is the A&M program. Does/Did Manziel lead directly to a huge bump in the programs economic success? Sure... but the program will go on long after Manziel... meanwhile, "minor leagues" for football have never caught on, and frankly are unlikely to ... again what is making the college football product what it is is the underlying SCHOOL/college system behind it. There are fervent and loyal Longhorn fans because on the whole those are Longhorn alumni. They're Longhorn alumni because they went to school at UT. A program which of course is a public institution whose budget is still, in part (though a much smaller part these days then previously), is funded by the state... but it's the same argument for private institutions (which while inherently are more profit motivated, remain institutions of higher learning and thus exist ... purposefully ... to educate).

I don't want to see star Longhorn players getting half a million plus or whatever. I want them to be able to live appropriately while getting their college education, but I'd rather the cash coming in from the football program to go back to the school.

But similarly, I'm not that excited (or excited at all) about Charlie Strong making nearly $10 million dollars, or the average for division 1 football program head coaches being north of $1.6 million. To me, that's the bigger issue... how to still get the "star" coaches to maximize the program (both in performance and profitability, which would then maximize return to the school) without also paying them ridiculous amounts of money.

Also, there's the whole NFL age restriction issue... but the NFL is it's own "company", and i guess if they want to have an age restriction, they can (though to the extent they are allowed special collective bargaining rules, perhaps there is a legal ground there to require them to remove the age restriction... though I also think for a sport like the NFL, an age restriction helps).

tl:dr .... the pay issue to solve, to me, isn't so much the player issue, but the coach issue.

4. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

Ironically I think paying the players would solve the coaching pay scale. How do you attract players who are not set on a certain school (either because of geography or parents alma mater..)? The competitive advantage schools can offer is either exposure, facilities, or coaches. This causes a bidding war for having the best out of those 3 things.

By not having player's pay schools will pour more money into those things.

What costs more paying a head coach and building a new training facility or paying the top player in the country 6 figures?