1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Apr 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Anyone have this or had this in the past? I'm always tired even after I sleep 8 or 10 hours. My wife says my snoring is getting louder and that sometimes I stop breathing when I'm sleeping.

I cant goto a sleep lab because I don't have medical insurance and dont want to pay the $500-$1000 fee. My friend suggested something like a oxygen mask that they make specifically for snorers since that will help the breathing and in theory stop the interrupted sleep.

Any suggestions?

2. ashiin

ashiin Member

You should probably go see a doctor about that. My dad has sleep apnea to the point where stopping his breathing wakes him up as if he was under sleep paralysis. He does use the oxygen mask and it does help but you should probably go to a doctor and check it out first.

3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Go to a doctor man. My uncle has it and this can kill you.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

This x2. :eek: I had a test done myself, because I snore and wake up tired... but it was just that, not Sleep Apnea.

5. blink

blink Contributing Member

No insurance means youll have to pay a lot for the treatment options of sleep apnea (if that's what you have). But who needs healthy lungs, heart or oxygen anyway, right?

6. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I worked for a durable medical equipment company for years. Definitely something you need to get checked out. Most places will work with you as far as payment. Look into care credit so you can make small payments.

7. rocketman72

rocketman72 Member

I have sleep apnea, unfortunatetely. I've been using a CPAP (medical term for an oxygen mask), and it's very effective. But it broke and I need to get a new one.

You need to see a ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor about that; sleep apnea is not to be taken lightly. Maybe you can apply for insurance with the basic terms. The doctor will make you take a sleep study when you stay overnight with wires...I suggest you go for it.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Go to a doctor, take part in a sleep study to see if you do suffer from it.

If you do, they'll probably get you on an O2 mask.

9. Felixthecat

Actually an oxygen mask and a CPAP mask are different. Cpap stands for continuous positive airway pressure...it forces air through your airway at a set pressure depending on the severity of your obstruction. An oxygen mask provides a very low flow of pure oxygen.

10. Tuan

Tuan Member

I have sleep apnea and I have been on a cpap for nearly 7 years now. It took me a long time to get used to the damn machine.

I suggest you go see a doctor. I think I had my sleep study was done at the Baylor sleep center. Its costly though!

11. ling ling

ling ling Member

If you are broke and want to use a cpap, get one from CL. They are easily adjustible. They are cheap there. Can't get it from eBay since it's a Medical device.

12. ling ling

ling ling Member

It would have been cheaper for me to get one used than to pay for co-pay.

I have several as backup.

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Lose Weight fat boy

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

15. bdb

bdb Contributing Member

I have sleep apnea. From what the sleep tech told me, sleep apnea can also be bad for your heart.

When you windpipe collapses, your lungs don't get the oxygen they need. So, the blood being pumped around your body has less oxygen in it. Your body will try to compensate by raising your heart rate, which can be a problem over time.

You should definitely see a doctor as soon as your are able.

16. Felixthecat

Getting a CPAP from Craigslist is cool AFTER you have a sleep study done and you know what pressure you'll need. Using one at the wrong setting can mess you up too.

17. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

dental appliance

18. ling ling

ling ling Member

You can guess it pretty well.

The lowest settings is 4 psi for borderline user. You can increase it by 1/2 psi until you stop snoring.

1 person likes this.
  19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Damn. Guess im gonna have to get that insurance after all

1 person likes this.
  20. ling ling

ling ling Member

The co-pay for the exam and the cpap costs more than just picking up a used cpap machine, not to mention the cost of the insurance.