1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any experts in entertainment law?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by professorjay, May 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Thanks guys. Well time was of the essence so I ended up signing. Long story of why I didn't get a lawyer in the first place; but anyways my partner's lawyer (representing just my partner) said I ended up getting a really good deal after I created a little scare with the production company. It was kind of inadvertent but at the same time just looking out for my best interests since it seems the company wants to minimize my part.

Anyways if the show gets picked up by a network there will be another round of negotiations so I'd still like to get consultation for next time. Not to mention an opinion on the current contract.

2. professorjay

Just bumping this again. I reached out to some people here but maybe they missed my messages. I'm still looking just in case. Now that I think about it, should I get an agent? Do they handle contract negotiations?

We've made a few big steps and have a major channel interested. Just shot a potential pilot episode and after editing we're waiting to see if they're going to pick it up.

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Goodluck!

Mind telling us what type of show it is?

4. professorjay

Thanks!

Sorry, but I've already had a situation w/ the production company so I think it's better for me to keep quiet. ;)

Believe me, if we make it to air I will be groveling for viewers here. And if I have my way, we'll also do a Houston/Houston Rockets episode but I'm getting way ahead of myself.

5. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I'm guessing a reality show like Undercover Boss?

Just kidding.

Well thanks for the update and hopefully you'll keep up with this thread.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Can I be an extra?

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

My only experience in entertainment is a few coffee shop open mics, and small gigs like that, however it seems like hiring an agent is definitely a prudent way to go. Even if the agent himself/herself doesn't review contracts, they could probably put you in touch with lawyers who do.

8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Starting law school next month. Should graduate in 3 years so hit me up after that ;)

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I need a bird law expert. I wrote the song Lady in Red and that jerkoff Chris De Burgh ripped it off from me.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I know people who know important people.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Another Brother may be able to give some solid advice.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Would you be able to at least tell us what genre it is?