1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I was listening to charlies show driving back from work yesterday and it was like 6.53 and he was saying how some caller was the first rockets call he had taken all day.

Apparently there were more Royce white talk then rockets talk. Most Sports Radio is pretty stupid and all Texans all the time, but we are a pretty exciting team and at least 40% of people can watch it.

Seriously more people want to talk about Royce than the rockets? I have a feeling we might never get CSN since most of the city doesn't care.

At least maybe 25% of the calls could be about the rockets. I am tired of hearing about Texan's safety needs in 2016.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not a contender. No one cares about them. Not even the front office.

3. chongx04

chongx04 Member

They'd get alot more coverage if the majority of the city could follow them, but CSN etc

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets are partly to blame with their new TV deal, aren't they? If the Rockets make the playoff, the interest will go up a bit.

5. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

Didn't we confirm the Comcast deal have more to do with the Astros than rockets?

6. conquistador#11

I interned as a producer in my past life at a radio station in Boston and it's not rocket science how things work.
    Charlie P and the rest of talk show hosts are so full of it. People are sheep. if the Hosts actually began the show talking about the ACTUAL game rockets games, callers would line up with calls about the rockets. But no they want to be with the cool crowd and talk about ed reed and the tournament. Then these dudes ask..."why isn't anyone calling about the rockets?" well no f'n s*** you just spent an hour monologue on anything that wasn't the ROCKETS.

^^^ HE MAD! =)

I am mad because I love, win or lose, listening to the rockets post game.

7. just a word

just a word Member

Easy fix: more people start calling in.

=) can we get CF pledges? or maybe a rotation of people calling in on particular days?

8. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Matt and Adam in the morning are the only ones that are more consistent with Rockets talk. Right now though its going to be all Texans all the time because of the Ed Reed signing and free agency talk and then it will be the draft. I hope as it gets closer to playoffs though that the Rockets get the coverage and respect they deserve.

9. DBRox

You have a point. Discussions and topics mostly start with the callers. Most of the callers call to talk about the Texans so...

10. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I hear a lot of Rockets talk on 790, but somehow the Texans always become the main discussion. Nobody calls in about Rockets either.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just wait till the playoffs start. 60% of Houston haven't seen the Rockets on TV.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Rockets? I thought NASA was done.

13. nono

nono Member

I couldn't give less of a **** about the Texans. In fact, I hope a giant chasm opens and swallows their whole stadium because of the bad traffic it creates on Main street. Preferably when their fans are not there.

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I find that hard to believe because they usually have Bull on every game day. Those 3 together are really entertaining and Bull has great stories, basketball generally and Rockets related.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's called "caller driven radio" and it sucks. It's an out dated format that I'm still shocked is being used in Houston.

Sports radio should set the table for the discussions and profile their callers accordingly. Up to date sports radio stations may not even take calls during the course of a show and most will only take a 2 to 3 over a 3 to 4 hr period.

And while they are at it the stations should strictly prohibit the goofy hr long trivia games that some shows do. It's lazy radio and is only meant as a segment killer when there is absolutely nothing to talk about... Which should be never.

16. DBRox

They've been talking about Royce White for the past 30 minutes. :(

17. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Clutchfans, I'm coming to the rescue. brb, gonna call in and talk about the Rockets.

18. DBRox

Nice, we'll be listening. They've been doing a good job in this past hour or so, but maybe because its game day its obligatory.

19. cdastros

cdastros Member

I think most of the people that are sports fans have dish.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Think about it we have won 1 playoff series since 2000. There just isn't the passion for the NBA in this part of the country that there is in other markets. The NFL will always be king here and its always been that way. The Astros are in the same boat but when they were good during baseball season there was plenty of baseball talk during the season.