1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the biggest rookie bust thus far?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by chow_yun_fat, Jan 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I would have to say Dunvealy Jr. I'm glad the Rockets didnt get him. I've always like Stoudemaire tho...because there used to be a really good player with the same last name. I was also high on Woods...but he's probally buried in the Portland bench somewhere.

2. CY02

CY02 Member

1 Houston Yao Ming, C, Shanghai Sharks
    2 Chicago Jay Williams, G, Duke
    3 Golden State Mike Dunleavy, G/F, Duke
    4 Memphis Drew Gooden, F, Kansas
    5 Denver Nikoloz Tskitishvili, F, Italy
    6 Cleveland Dajuan Wagner, G, Memphis
    7 New York Maybyner "Nene" Hilario, F/C, Brazil
    (Rights traded to Denver)
    8 L.A. Clippers (from Atlanta) Chris Wilcox, F, Maryland
    9 Phoenix Amare Stoudemire, F, Cypress Creek HS (Fla.)
    10 Miami Caron Butler, F, Connecticut

Dunleavy is at least getting decent mins. Are the likes of Tskitishvili and Wilcox even playing?

3. cmellon

cmellon Member

And some initial Yao-bashers actually say Chris Wilcox is da man and will pick him if they got #1 lottery pick.

4. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

I'd have to pick Skita over Dunleavy and Wilcox, but it's close. Skita was a high pick and there was ever more hype over him than Dunleavy, and everyone knew Wilcox needed more time. But the thing is, Skita doesn't even get minutes in Denver, and they don't have anybody over there. Whenever I've seen him play he just shoots 3s, and he doesn't make a whole lot of them. I'm beginning to think Denver made a huge mistake picking him, and I think they know it too.

5. SLA

SLA Member

if you're talkin about top 10.........none of them were that bad. they were all OK but some did extremely better. They are all pretty good. I guess the biggest bust out of those 10 has to be Mike Dunleavy. He doesn't get much playing time and he can't find a way to score.

YAO HAS ALREADY PROVED HE IS NOT A MYSTERY.
    Jay Williams had a TRIPLE-DOUBLE.
    Mike Dunleavy has done OK.
    Drew Gooden has showed he can play.
    5. I guess MR. Tskita is OK. His team is just TOO SAD.
    Dajuan Wagner has returned from injury and is scoring 20+ per game. :)
    Nene Hilario can play...really..he can.
    Chris Wilcox is OK.
    Amare..........I AM GUESSING HE IS GOOD.....
    Caron Butler has done a great job...Heat's 2nd best player

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Skita is like 18 years old and coming from Europe. He was drafted as a project. Heck, he was a project in Europe. He got like 10 minutes a game over there. However, if you've seen him play, you can tell he is going to be a star. Kinda like T-mac when he was a rookie. Put up terrible numbers but you could see the potential.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agree. Skita was drafted based on his potential. He wasn't playing much in Europe either. He should be considered the equivalent of a high school prospect here.

Dunleavy, on the other hand, was supposed to be well-schooled. His offense was supposed to be quite smooth already. I think he is more disappointing than Skita and Wilcox.

8. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

dunleavy. he was the 3rd pic and is playing like a 2nd rounder rookie

9. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Dunleavy's not a bust. He can play; it's just that his body is less NBA-ready than that of guys like Stoudemire and Caron Butler. And because his game isn't just using his athleticism to dunk on people, he has to adjust more to the team game on this level.

Just Monday night versus the 76ers, he played six minutes in the first half -- and scored 11 points. Then in the 4th quarter, he sealed the win by drawing a charge on Aaron McKie in the final minute (because he read the play as it was developing and easily beat McKie to the spot).

Judging rookies by the stats they put up in their first half-season is ridiculous. Hell, Joe Smith looked like a surefire future All-Star in his first few months.

10. MYNAMEIS_AMS

MYNAMEIS_AMS New Member

1st it would have to be dunlevy

but

2nd i beleve if he dont get time is NACHBAR

11. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Hey Swopa...what do you think about John Stocktons Nba ready body? Bingo.....

12. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Good job showing your stupidity.

13. pchan

pchan Member

I would say dunleavy jr.. he is the third pick.... so far I can't tell the difference between him and casey jacobsen.
    warrior could hvae just picked jacobsen with the third pick

14. ScreamingRocketJet

He looked VERY raw v Seattle on ESPN yesterday.

However, he also CLEARLY has some major skills. A very sweet shot and a nice block once on Lewis. He will be a really good player in a few years.

The monster Brazillian also was V. Impressive IMO. He's raw also, but he's already one of the best offensive rebounders in the league + can block shots. He also racked up 4 assists, one showing really good court vision.

Worst case scenario he can be another Ben Wallace. (Great D, not much O)

Best case scenario he can be Wallace and get 20 a night.

Rodney White also looked improved...and he has great size for a SF.

If they jagged James in the 2003 draft, they will have some serious potential.

15. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

If you define a bust as "relative to expectations" , and not just who is the worst rookie so far, than I have to go with Jay Williams.

Things that were said around draft day:

"This is a two-man draft"
    "If any other lottery team but Houston was picking #1, Jay would go there"
    "We'll remember Yao over Williams as we remember Sam Bowie over Micheal Jordan" (Right when I heard this, I was, OK, Yao may or may not be a Sam Bowie, but Jay Williams is definetely NOT Micheal Jordan)
    "He's ready to contribute right away"
    "He'll take the Bulls to the playoffs"

While he has had some good games, he's definitely not lived to the hype at all. For such a highly touted pick not to be even in consideration for a ROY at this point of the season, yeah, I call that a bust.

Another thing is that when a point guard is taken at #2, generally they have been great. Payton, Jason Kidd, Steve Francis, Mike Bibby were all taken at #2. That is because teams are willing to take a risk on a crappy big man, but if a PG is taken that high, usually he is expected to be special.

My bet for the biggest bust back in June was Mike Dunleavy, and while I was somewhat correct, I think he's doing relatively OK, considering that he has to play behind a "franchise" player in Jamison.

The other rookies, I think are doing great. Gooden started very strong, has cooled a bit. Wagner, Stoudemire, Butler, and obviously Yao are studs. Tskitishvili was a project, and everyone knew it (he was not even a starter in Italy), so he cannot be called a bust. Same for Hilario, even though he is farther ahead. Wilcox and Ely are just not given enough playing time behind Brand and Olowakandi, and jefires started solid but got injured.

So there, right now I think, JWill is the biggest bust in the draft.

16. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Qyntel Woods.

17. CY02

CY02 Member

Dunleavy is solid but hasn't shown any star potential which a No. 3 pick should have.

Jay Williams at least showed it in patches (e.g. that triple double).

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I agree with that. I remember all the draft guru smartasses (I think Ramsey was one of them) who said Houston would regret not picking him lalalalala.

Some posters actually suggested trading Francis for the No. 2 pick so that we could draft Yao Ming and Jay Williams :rolleyes:.

19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i just wanted to post that. Trading Francis For Williams. those guys must feel stupid.

i didn't expect much of dunleavy. and he isn't playing wel so far. so i would think he is the biggest bust so far. but i do not know if he stil is in about a year.

20. CY02

CY02 Member

I've read through the old posts. Some actually suggested we drafted Jay Williams at No. 1 and then traded Francis for a big man. :rolleyes:

We could have become the Bulls! :eek:

#20 CY02, Jan 9, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2003