1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Bashers - Replace Rudy with Who???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I'd be rich if I could have a nickel for every time someone bashed Rudy in the last 10 days. Anyone can complain. Let's hear a solution.

Rudy isn't perfect, but he is a good one. For all you Rudy Bashers, who could we get that would be an improvement??

You are on the clock and the silence is deafening.

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

If we did, as I've said before, I think Pete Carril would be a great choice.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Phil Jackson! :D

4. Rileydog

Carril - assuming it's possible, not a bad choice. But convincing student athletes to pass the ball is quite difft from talking sense into Cat and Co. I'm not sure the extent to which Carril is responsible for getting Sac to pass, but they don't appear to have the pigheaded personnel that we do. On balance, there's a possibility of improvement, but the risk might not be worth it. Still, not a bad suggestion.

Phil Jackson? Nah, he'll wait until after Francis and Ming mature. Then he'll swoop in and be the "genius" coach that brings us (back) to the promised land.

5. Another Brother

Wow that's the first time anyone has remotely agreed with me on PC. Look at what Brwn is doing with Memphis. If Rudy has one fault it's that he is one of the boys. An older, experienced coach that teaches BASIC basketball would be nice. Having said the I'm still a HUGE Rudy fan

6. Another Brother

Wow that's the first time anyone has remotely agreed with me on PC. Look at what Brwn is doing with Memphis. If Rudy has one fault it's that he is one of the boys. An older, experienced coach that teaches BASIC basketball would be nice. Having said that I'm still a HUGE Rudy fan

7. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Based on the lack or extremely slow improvement of some players, we just need a couple of assistant coaches - like high school and college coaches to teach fundamentals to some of these showboaters. :) Or someone who will actually make guys sit when they don't listen to him. And repeatedly show their mistakes to them on tape, so they get to suffer like the fans did last year and the year before.

8. Rileydog

Easy to say "someone."

Hard to say who.

9. Rileydog

BIg difference with Hubie Brown's situation . . .

it's easy to go from terrible to not bad.

It's hard to go from almost-playoffs to the playoffs (particularly in the West)

Likewise, it's even harder to go from playoffs to elite.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How about these coaches:
    Indiana- Thomas
    Detroit- Carlisle
    New Jersey- Scott
    Seattle- McMillan
    Phoenix- Johnson

These guys didn't have much prior coaching experience but look how well they are doing. Indiana, Detroit, and NJ are championship contenders thanks in large part to the coaches.

11. Raven

Raven Member

For me it's a very easy decision. If the Rockets fail to make the playoffs this year, I would replace him. Loyalty is important, but you can't ignore four lottery seasons in a row.

I would interview these men:

Mr Mean Larry Smith
    Jeff Van Gundy

I would also put out "feelers" to Pat Riley, but I'm sure the Miami Heat owner would have something to say about that.

Raven

12. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Calvin Muhphuckin Murphy.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still think Rudy is a great coach...but if Rudy left or was let go, I wonder how the Rockets would do with a coach like Jack Ramsey...

Wasn't Ramsey the one that coached the Blazers team with Bill Walton? It just seems like a guy that knew how to utilize a player like Walton would be quite adept at utilizing a team with Yao Ming. But Ramsey is pretty old now...maybe he would be a bit overwhelmed with today's game.

14. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

I know we hate the jazz, but I think Jerry Sloan does agood job in Utah. He sticks up for his players but isnt just one of the boys. Hes shown he can develop young white players for some odd reason, but the young black players like Deshaun Stephenson and Quincy lewis havent quite developed.

15. Another Brother

No offense RL but Dr. Jack is one brain cell away from being Ronald Reagan.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Pete Carril is going nowhere; he is SEVENTY-ONE yrs old. Are you kidding me?? That's like saying we should get Tex Winters, imo. And yes, he is absolutely the coach responsible for choosing that offense, he and Eddie Jordan (King's head coach), who were there the yr before Divac, Webber and Peja started playing together. Now Jordan is the assistant at New Jersey responsible for their offense (but Scott gets the naive praise). I'd bet we would have better chance getting Eddie Jordan from NJ that Carril from the Kings.

my vote is to keep it in-house and think in terms of new assistants.

Larry Smith...I don't think Boylen is as good for our head position. If we were to reach into the pool of experienced head coaches, I would go for Van Gundy, too.

17. Another Brother

Bad Blackjack player, sorry, he is the weakest link....goodbye;)

18. nineteen

nineteen Member

Thomas,

Ditto. Murphy can bring knowledge, respect and enthusiasm to the job. He is also a Lifetime Rocket. If Rudy got the chance, Murphy Deserves the chance.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm not against Rudy but I sure wish they'd let go of all the assistants that came from the video room and hire some offense (x&os) and defense coaches - real coaches.

20. mackomon

mackomon Contributing Member

I think Van Gundy would be a great replacement:

1. Itching to get back into the game with renewed outlook and energy. The break will help him get back into the NBA.

2. Great coaching mind with X's and O's.

3. A couple of 50-win seasons with Ewing AND STARKS :p .

4. Knows how to handle the big man.

5. Luvd Yao even before the draft. Praised Yao at his last guest broadcast of a Houston game.

6. Passionate and a hard worker.

7. Been to the playoffs and can handle the pressure.

8. With players like Francis (instead of Mark Jackson or Charlie Ward) and Mobley (instead of STARKS), and a great center like Yao (props to Ewing), I see wins.