1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the NFL draft was today, we would draft #14-who?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by orosiriley, Oct 30, 2014.

1. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

If the NFL draft were today, we would draft number 14. ESPN has an insider draft "Big Board" that has Jameis Winston at #14 and Landon Collins (S) at #13. Both would be steals at this position in the draft and we could use either one on our team. Any thoughts?

1. *Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon Ducks

Completing more than 70 percent of his throws, hasn't thrown an interception -- and that's with a mess along the offensive line. But this will help Mariota; he'll be more ready for NFL life. He combines above-average accuracy and anticipation with an ability to get through his progressions and elite athleticism. How well he can take apart a defense with tools other than his legs matters in terms of how he is viewed as a prospect, but his ability to throw on the run or to simply take off and pick up chunk yardage as a runner is a major plus.

2. *Leonard Williams, DL, USC Trojans

Provides impact wherever he lines up. Quick for his size, he can move all over and won't get pushed around when he's inside. At his size (6-foot-5, 290 pounds), he's a special athlete who could line up as a defensive end and drive a tackle back, or line up on the outside shoulder of a guard and create problems with power and quickness. He's the kind of disruptive, versatile lineman who can succeed in any system. A potential No. 1.

3. *Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama Crimson Tide

Should hit 1,000 yards receiving this week. Crazy good season. He's neither a pure burner nor an impossible matchup threat given his size (6-1, 210 pounds), but there's nothing he doesn't do well. He separates with ease and also has a good sense of how to find space against a zone. Where he really stands out is his ability to make contested catches. His work rate is legendary down there and will be a big selling point.

4. *Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska Cornhuskers

Missed a lot of time early, but is now healthy, if not 100 percent. A super-athletic pass-rusher with a lean frame and exceptional quickness, he could be a 3-4 outside linebacker or add some weight and be useful in a 4-3 scheme. How well he can hold up at the point of attack, particularly against the run, will be an area scouts focus on, but in a passing league, the greater focus will be on continued development as a pass-rusher.

5. *Shane Ray, DE, Missouri Tigers

Has tackles for loss in every single game. He plays with tremendous energy, beats blockers in multiple ways and gets to the passer, so it's going to work out. What I like about Ray is he combines a relentless effort level with a range of pass-rushing moves. He's not just a speed-rusher off the edge; he'll get on the inside shoulder of a tackle and drive through, creating pressure from the inside. Super productive.

6. Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M Aggies

Well, he can't play defense. A very good athlete, Ogbuehi has transitioned from right tackle to left tackle, just as Jake Matthews did out of Texas A&M. Right now he gets a higher grade as a pass-blocker, but he's no slouch when it comes to creating a push as a run-blocker.

7. Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa Hawkeyes

No changes with Scherff. He can be better in pass protection, but he's pretty good, and is the best run-blocker in the class. He uses a powerful base and quick feet to simply overpower defenders, and he can move well and line up blocks in space. He's nimble and simply needs to work on technique and use all his tools in the passing game.

8. *Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor Bears

He's still a work in progress, but he continues to disrupt so I'm betting high. Has basketball-center length at 6-9, but also packs on more than 280 pounds, which he carries well, and it has allowed him to drive blockers. When he gets his long arms extended into blockers (or in passing lanes), he can shed quickly. How Oakman is used will be a question, but the former Penn Stater is a tantalizing specimen and is beginning to come into his own.

9. *Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia Bulldogs

Unstoppable when he has played, averaging more than 8 yards per carry, and I'm not knocking him here for not playing. I rank Gurley higher than he'll probably be drafted, given the way the NFL values running backs, but he could at least go in Round 1. He's a powerful runner with the ability to run away from a defense. When Gurley gets past the line of scrimmage, watch out. He can run high, which raises durability concerns that will certainly play into his draft stock.

10. **Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia Bulldogs

Has had a sack a week for the past month. A green but talented young player with great range against the run and the ability to blow away blockers with his first step and overall athleticism, but he's also undersized (6-4, 230 pounds), and evaluators will key on his ability to hold up and play with leverage. He profiles as a 3-4 outside linebacker with the ability to both rush the passer and drop into space and cover. Not a finished product.

11. *Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford Cardinal

Stanford has been disappointing, but I think Peat has played well for the most part. He's both powerful and nimble, with the ability to drive a defender back in the run game and the exceptional length and above-average footwork you look for from a pass-blocker.

12. *Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin Badgers

He's getting the ball a lot lately, which is a concern, but he has been exceptional. Gordon is an easy accelerator, and he cuts with explosiveness and little wasted motion. He'll miss a hole here and there in search of a bigger lane, but he has good vision, isn't afraid of contact, and has breakaway speed when he gets in space. Here's hoping health doesn't become an issue because of the workload.

13. *Landon Collins, S, Alabama Crimson Tide

Super versatile, he's what every NFL coach wants right now. He has been crucial this season because Bama's actually pretty weak elsewhere in the secondary. Collins can play deep -- making good reads and taking the right angle to the ball -- and also has the ability to line up close to the line of scrimmage and run with tight ends. A strong tackler, Collins is fearless in taking on running backs but shows good technique and doesn't just throw himself at the ball.

14. **Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State Seminoles

I initially dropped Winston a little too far based on a lot of initial feedback regarding his suspension earlier in the season, and him being here reflects that. But the off-field issues will matter a great deal during the draft process, no question. He needs time to prove doubters wrong. He has special instincts for a QB, and good training is obvious. Winston's natural gifts are clear -- size, arm strength, athleticism -- but so is the ability to manipulate the pocket, see pressure early and deliver the ball to the right target. Consistency with ball placement and timing is an area that will need to improve.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Love the idea and pick. Just dont think Bob, OB, and Rick would gamble on Winston.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Cook, Hundley, or Winston being available would be NICE!

I think the Texans need a stud ILB, and I am pretty sure I read that none of those are available.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Teams as bad as us shouldn't burn a 1st rounder on an ILB that isn't projected to be elite... I think we'd have the guts to take Winston if he grades out. But if he does he probably flies off the board within 5 picks.

Surprised that Baylor project is so high, Kevin Garnett at pass rusher basically. Doesn't look like he belongs on the football field at all - not an insult, it's just freaky.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

They're going to have to teach him to not try that swim move so high up on an OLs shoulders, otherwise he's going to get a nice set of bruised ribs/kidneys in his first few weeks in the NFL.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Literally 0 chance that Jameis Winston is the pick, BOB isn't going to allow his GM to draft someone with outstanding sexual assault allegations. I get that it's still "way too early" draft talk, but it would probably be better if we talked about those who actually had a chance of being drafted by us.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Is there any chance at all that Todd Gurley would be drafted in the top 15 of the draft? I'd be willing to be that no team in thier right mind will be spending that high of a pick on a RB, ala Trent Richardson.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They may not be outstanding by draft time

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

True but this was a "What if the draft were today" post. I still think the character issues would be enough for us to pass on him no matter when the draft was though. I don't think there is enough talent there to overcome the character issues, I'd bet the Texans would look elsewhere.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Depends how he grades out. If he's up there with Peterson or McFadden then absolutely. I think a back that grades out that high can still go top 5. If the draft were today, yeah, no way.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Genuinely believe that if Connor does declare this year, he will be our pick!! There will be a competition between him and Savage for the job.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I see no chance in hell that McNair, let alone O'Brien, would endorse Winston as the pick. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

If they do, repost this post and I'll belittle myself in front of everyone here.

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Will you eat your computer screen like McClain ate a newspaper?

BTW, if McNair is deciding who they should draft.... This explains their miserable draft record & they are in more trouble than i thought.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Would you bring back Fitz at a cheaper price to backup Winston?

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Yea, sure why not.

Average backups come in handy now & then.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree Fitz is average for a backup and he'd be fine in that role.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Aldon Smith was a lengthy stiff guy coming out of college. Cancel personal issues and he was extremely productive.

I remember the hype around that guy in college and never understood it. Surprised the hell out of me!

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Lol. Not my computer screen. There's no way, though. Just saying it.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Don't see the Texans drafting a QB with so many red flags, no matter how talented or available. I wouldn't be surprised, in fact, to see them trade (or sign) another vet this offseason. I think with McNair's advanced age and health troubles, that the org has no stomach for starting a rookie QB.

20. StevieCrossover

I wished texans had a better tight end but you would need a quarterback to throw it to them.