1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A team with direction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketmike, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Ok, I'm not convinced that we're going to be perenial cellar dwellers or anything. I think we'll probably make the playoff's this year and for quite a few to come. But my question is what direction is this team taking? I mean we have tons of money tied up in overpaid players and we basically have about half of a championship roster. Ming, Francis, Mobley and err um.. a role player or two. The problem is we're paying our half of a championship team like a championship team. But lets assume we get out of cap trouble; Do we actually have championship pieces? How do Ming and Francis equal a championship. I think they are good pieces to different puzzles honestly. I'm trying to think of the last championship team that had a point guard and center that averaged over 20pts a game the same year (Shaq and Penny made it out of the east in 94-95 so thats one that made it to the finals) Magic and Kareem? did they do it? I honestly don't know, but even if they did, it probably had more to do with Magic's passing ability. If the pg and C are the main offensive options then I don't think that you get the rest of the team involved in the offense. I guess this is the problem i've had all along with the makeup of our team. I think that Ming is more "special" than francis, but they are both great players. And while I'm pretty big on moving Francis to the 2 he is a little bit undersized to play sg. He'll have a hard time guarding other sg's which means we now not only have to look for a good pg but a pg over 6'4 so he can guard the 2. I know things happen in a hurry personel wise, and there's always a first, and hell maybe i'm way off base, but the pieces we seem to be building around (and don't even get me started on mobley) don't = a champion. I'm not saying we can't be a good team, I'm not even saying we won't make the playoff's I'm just asking if this will be a problem.
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.