1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wanted: child care opinions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

It's come time to start putting our 3 year old in some sort of child care. Probably starting at 3 days a week. We have a Kids R Kids close to us, but other than surf their web page I haven't done much research on them.

I'm sure a lot of you have gone through this. What should we be looking for as far as do and don'ts are concerned?

And approx how much can we expect to pay?

Thanks.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

There is a guide, I don't know if it is on the web, of all the daycares and childcare centers in your zip code. These are all registered with a central Daycare registrar.

Here is the online search: http://www.naeyc.org/accreditation/search/ (they only have the accredited ones, though... the ones without accreditation are in that bigger book that these accredited daycares will be able to let you read)
    And how to choose: http://www.naeyc.org/accreditation/search/choosing.asp

Accredited schools are inspected at random yearly and are more expensive. There are FULL DAY and half-day care centers, so prices vary. You DO want to go to an accredited one, for the inspection is rigorous, and you can bet they're clean and require their teachers to go to trainings, etc.

My wife used to work at an accredited one, so I can further give you some more assistance if you'd like.

#2 SwoLy-D, Aug 24, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

send you kid to an accredited montisorri and you won't be sorry.

My first grade daughter is doing math on the 5th grade level and was well beyond many of the other kids in her Vanguard classes in HISD.

I almost had her tested to skip the first grade when we moved to cyfair but my wife talked me out of it.

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

We have three kids. We tried a nanny and other more affordable day-cares - hated them all. We then started taking them to Kids R Kids in Katy and have had them there for the last four years (now just summers). Expensive, but we had such peace of mind with them there. My twins, who are seven now, were born 11 weeks premature and went to a pre-K program at Kids R Kids and are now in the gifted program at KISD (2nd grade).

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

What does Kids R Kids charge?
    Do you have to keep them at one location or does it give you "membership" to float your kids around? We have one close to where we live and close to where I work.

6. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

well, my wife wrote the checks for that but I believe it is around 150 to 170 per week (discounted for every additional child - I cannot begin to express how much daycare has financially kicked our ass from 00-04) depending on the age of the child. The Kids R Kids are individually owned so I don't think floating is an option unless they happened to be owned by the same guy. I would recommend the one close to home as that is the destination you and your significant other have in common.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

We have a 3 year old and we pay a Montessori $260 a month for 3 days, 8:30 to 3:00

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Where are you at?

My grandma owns a day care place near Tomball. :p

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't think changing your kid to different daycares would be good for anyone... unless you're really needing to do it... in which case... oh, never mind... surely you wouldn't have liked to go to different schools all the time... right?

Still, I don't think they'd let you do that anyway. Creme DeLa Creme sounds like a good place. Dude, just call them... don't be chicken :D You're not the first one that researches... and you won't be the last.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Ask your neighbors. I have seen dramatic differences in quality among Montessoris and others (chains).

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

my neighborhood bum in brooklyn started pushing my son around in his shopping cart while collecting bottles when my son was three. they do this five days a week 9am-3pm and it doesn't cost me a dime. he still can't do math but he is learning valuable lessons about the environment, recycling, how to treat others, and, most importantly, how to earn a buck.