1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does AJ Hinch continue to do this?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doesn't mean much.

He KNEW he was pitching as a starter in September, and was much worse than he had been throughout the season.

1 person likes this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He only had 1, maybe 2 bad outings in September. The other 3 were all quality starts.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

that percentage of bad appearances is way worse than Harris, Qualls, etc. Just FYI, if we want to use # of outings. (I understand Harris hasn't been good in a higher percentage when we include the postseason. Just pointing out that the same logic would have dictated going to Harris earlier, which we did.)

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Fiers' percentage wasn't "way worse".

In fact, it's the same 2/5 ratio (not including the playoffs).

I don't consider 0 ERs while allowing 3 baserunners in 1 IP particularly good.

1/3 of his outings were 0.1 IP most likely in a matchup catered right to him.

My main point is Fiers should've already pitched this postseason.

5. Nook

Nook Member

You are wasting your time.

During game 2 there were calls to use Fiers in the 6th. Hinch warmed him up after falling behind. The Astros blew a 2 run lead.

In game 4, there were calls to use Fiers and it didn't happen and the Astros pen gave up 7 runs in two innings.

There has been every excuse given from resting Sipp and Gregerson with a 4 run lead, to Harris having been effective in the playoffs (he hasn't), to picking through Harris'performances an invalidating Harris' struggles, to constructing absurd strawman arguments.

The reality is Hinch went with Harris because that is what he does, he is robotic and believed it was the Astros best chance to win. It wasn't, and unfortunately the inevitable happened.... Bad managerial decisions coupled with bad pitching resulted in a terrible loss.

I have said all I am going to say about it, they have their wrong opinion and we have ours.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why does he keep making moves that only look wrong in retrospect?

Wish I knew the answer to that in my life.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

very doubtful this is true

8. Major

Major Member

The reality is you complain about Hinch because that is what you do, you are robotic and believe everytime the Astros fail it is his fault. It wasn't, and unfortunately the completely predictable happened.... Bad fan analysis coupled with a public message board resulted in lots of drivel.

1 person likes this.
  9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

More like why is he making them again when it counts most when it backfired several times on him during the regular season. Redemption time tomorrow. Let's go!

10. Major

Major Member

Given that the Astros never lost a 4 run lead all season and Will Harris had never given up 4 hits in a game all season, his decisions in those situations hadn't actually backfired on him.

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Facts?

Facts?

You are trying to use Facts with these people?

Best of luck with that!!

How about let's go to KC and kick their ass tomorrow, and move on to the ALCS

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah you don't face playoff teams all season under this kind of pressure either so a pretty meaningless point on your part.

1 person likes this.
  13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Should have taken him out when there was 2 men on base and put Sipp in at that time, not when the bases were loaded. The trend Hinch has failed many times to fix. Almost as bad as McHale not calling time out's when the Rockets were blowing leads last season. But I digress, we win tomorrow and none of this even matters.

14. Major

Major Member

If he hasn't faced this kind of situation all season, then it would have been impossible for these decisions to have backfired during the regular season - so thanks for proving my point.

And the Astros did, in fact, face playoff teams throughout the season and they played very high pressure games all throughout the last few weeks of the sesaon, when the bullpen was nothing short of great.

15. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

If the Royals win it'll be remembered as the HISTORICAL post season comeback that's being plastered everywhere. I've purposefully haven't watched ESPN until tomorrow but even in looking the other way I stumbled across an article or two stating that word "Historical post season comeback" by the Royals on yahoo news and other news sources. HOWEVER, if the Astros win everyone forgets easily what just happened and If neither team makes a change then the best team will win based on statistics already set based on the previous 4 games. If either team tweaks or adds a new wrinkle to improve their chances of winning it may get even more interesting tomorrow. Looking forward to watching how this plays out and again, may the best team win

16. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

When things go right, moves by the manager we always give compliments to the players and manager, but when things go bad it is going to be the same but the opposite.

It was a bad move to allow Harris to face Cain as he is not as good vs righties as with lefties, that is a fact, second for the past month he is NOT the same pitcher and third, there should be NO reliever pitching after allowing 3 hits in a row. We are not in a long season, we are in short series.