1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey to blame?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Jan 22, 2013.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

With a lot of people including myself that McHale is a terrible coach, some people have suggested Morey is the bigger or real problem. The amount of 3 pointers and layups, so no midrange shots, seems to be in line with Morey's thinking. Now, we also know Adelman was fired because he didn't want to do some things that Morey and Alexander were asking of him, like having Chris Finch on his staff.

This got me thinking that Morey and Alexander went out to look for a gullible coach, who did as instructed and was so uncreative that he would have no option but to listen. This of course all the while having a guy who can present the Rockets in a positive way and is respected and liked around the league. Both know that McHale is respected, is liked, can talk a good game etc.

They probably know he is incompetent but fool people into thinking he is a good coach, because he's all about effort à la JVG so the opposite of Adelman. This maybe even more Morey's hiring than Alexander and to please Leslie, hired a guy who is more like JVG and a defensive coach than an offensive coach. Now with Chris Finch being the next in line who is already moulded to Morey's liking, the incompetency of our coach(es) will not stop until Leslie disallows Morey to pull the strings.

Thus, McHale cannot really be blamed here, old habits die slow so the Rockets knew what they were getting when they hired Kevin.

Thoughts?

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The 3pt and layup shot selection, i believe. The no plays run, i think is on the coaching staff.

We can no longer put the ball in james hand, have him take it up the court, and every time tell him to make something happen with everybody in the nba focused in on james.

You take james out of the equation, there goes your one and only play " give it to harden, do a pick n roll, kick it out maybe" Now were left passing the ball around till the end of the shot clock with somebody take a contested shot or harden ( only thing that works ) driving it in and hoping for a foul.

The offense needs to be changed for sure, they need to figure out the best way to set up harden to be able to score every night and not let the other team's D jump him and make it 10x harder for him, and the team.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The Rockets are one game over .500 when many people thought we would be one of the five worst teams in the league. For the season the Rockets have out performed expectations. Good grief, what a terrible thread. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rudy T had a philosophy where the Rockets led the NBA in 3 points attempted and basically one bread-and-butter play. I don't remember anyone being pissed at the time about either our simple offense, nor our propensity to jack up 3s all the time.

1 person likes this.
  5. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

exactly my thoughts were simply in a shooting slump now...were it not for the slump we would be much higher up...of 7 games loosing streak we were competitive in at least 3-4 of them till the very end...so with a bit of luck or beter referees we could easily won them...

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Says it all.

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But it was an inside-out offense based on having the greatest center of all time and a lot of good shooters. This team is does not have the personnel to be so 3pt dependent.

8. fattz

fattz Member

YES, they knew / know what we have in McHale. What are they to say we want to tank --> buy a season pass? Mchale is / will be the fall guy (I think he knew that coming in). The re-build is two years ahead of plan (Harden trade) so it shows more than it should (which is a good thing). Morey needs to move Lin (for better fit with Harden) and wait a season 2013-2014 then change coaches and all is well. McHale is not hurting anyone as the coach for now. We are not going to win a title ANYTIME SOON. It really is OK --> we are young.

Growing Pains

9. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

yes it does have the personell....its only that we were in shooting slump during this streak...our FTs were terrible we missed a lot of layups and similar

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

That offense was the key in having a championship team that is widely regarded as one of the least talented champion in NBA history. Hence, the idea that shooting 3s and simple offense can't work in the NBA is ludicrous. Because our very own Rockets ran it to perfection even over a decade ago.

No, our current team can't match that team. But do you have any reason to believe we'd be 22-21 with a different type of offense that doesn' rely on inside-out game that featured Harden?

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thoughts?

I guess you're right. McHale is incompetent for not posting up Asik, Morris and Parsons more. With those elite back to the basket threats there is no reason to shoot 3's. :rolleyes:

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Any system looks good if your shots are going in. A good system helps the team win even when their shots aren't falling.

13. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

harden ( only thing that works ) driving it in and hoping for a foul. Spot on. It's pathetic.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

LOL WUT?

I don't think you understand the concept scorekeeping.

15. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

It's about right now. Their offense has been figured out by the rest of teams.
    Rockets need a reboot.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

The only system where that has ever worked is in the Olympics, and the system called the US Olympic team.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Uhhh...ok

A. Leslie has stated his pleasure watching a team that runs so much that he actually stated in an interview with the Chronicle that he will always push to have a team that runs alot. Leslie, Morey, and McHale ALL seem to be on the same page here that a young, dumb team needs to run like crazy to win basketball games at this stage of the rebuild project.

B. As previously stated the team is over .500 and was projected to be a bottom feeder by many respected analysts. By all accounts the coaching staff is doing great if you just go based on performance alone.

C. When the players follow the game plan, they win, or are at least competetive. See the second half of the Bobcats game yesterday when the team started getting stops and running like their gameplan is drawn out to do. The 7 game losing streak was largely because the players did not have the legs or the will power to get stops and push the tempo like they did earlier in the season.

The gameplan never changed, and the coaches never stopped preaching the right things, its just that the players changed, and likely will be much more competitive after the all-star break when the schedule lightens up dramatically.

Look- I get it. Alot of people just dont like McHale. I can see how people would think he's a prick, and they dont like how he doesn't play their future superstars like Scott Machado. But I just dont understand whey fans on here consistently point to him being the problem here. The problem is the roster, and the development of the youngsters. All out of McHale's control. He can help develop players, but they have to buy in to it as well. As for Morey putting together a roster, its just going to take more time. He completely gutted the team last Summer, and is still in the early stages of putting this thing together. You wont be able to accurately judge his job for another 2 or 3 years.

I know this thread is about blaming Morey, but who you are really pointing at is blaming Morey for hiring McHale. So isn't this thread about McHale? Dont we already have a million other threads out there to b**** about McHale in?

1 person likes this.
  18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree completely!!!! Daryl Morey is to BLAME!!!!!

1. For landing us a true superstar (top 10 player)in the infancy of his career

2. For having the youngest team in the NBA challenging for the play-offs when they should be at least a year or two away from challenging.

3. For maintaining cap flexibility on an already young, competitive and exciting team with a superstar so he can aquire another all-star caliber player

4. For finding guys like Chandler Parsons year after year in the 2nd round

It's all your fault Daryl Morey!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hint: this thread is secretly a thread to b**** about McHale

20. Orange

Orange Member

Daryl Morey is the best gm in the history of sports stop the hate.

1 person likes this.