1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman Becomes Quadruple Amputee After Giving Birth!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tested911, Feb 12, 2007.

1. tested911

tested911 Member

I don't know if this has been posted and I know its been a while since this news came out but WTF!!!!! I mean this is supposed to be one of the most joyous moments in your life and you wake up and you don't have any arms or legs?? Video is so sad...

Woman Becomes Quadruple Amputee After Giving Birth

Woman Becomes Quadruple Amputee After Giving Birth

POSTED: 5:59 pm EST January 19, 2006
    UPDATED: 4:06 pm EST January 20, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Sanford mother says she will never be able to hold her newborn because an Orlando hospital performed a life-altering surgery and, she claims, the hospital refuses to explain why they left her as a multiple amputee.

The woman filed a complaint against Orlando Regional Healthcare Systems, she said, because they won't tell her exactly what happened. The hospital maintains the woman wants to know information that would violate other patients' rights.

Claudia Mejia gave birth eight and a half months ago at Orlando Regional South Seminole. She was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center in Orlando where her arms and legs were amputated. She was told she had streptococcus, a flesh eating bacteria, and toxic shock syndrome, but no further explanation was given.

The hospital, in a letter, wrote that if she wanted to find out exactly what happened, she would have to sue them.

GET WFTV NEWS HEADLINES BY EMAIL
    9 a.m. Headlines
    Noon Headlines
    4 p.m. Headlines
    News of the Strange
    Breaking News Alerts

"I want to know what happened. I went to deliver my baby and I came out like this," Mejia said.

Mejia said after she gave birth to Mathew last spring, she was kept in the hospital with complications. Twelve days after giving birth at Orlando Regional South Seminole hospital, she was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center where she became a quadruple amputee. Now she can not care for or hold her baby.

"Yeah, I want to pick him up. He wants me to pick him up. I can't. I want to, but I can't," she said. "Woke up from surgery and I had no arms and no legs. No one told me anything. My arms and legs were just gone."

Her 7-year-old son, Jorge, asks his mother over and over what happened to her. Neither she nor her husband has the answer.

"I love her, so I'll always stick with her and take it a day at a time myself," said her husband, Tim Edwards.

The couple wants to know how she caught streptococcus, during labor or after. She doesn't know. She knows she didn't leave the hospital the same.

"And why, I want to know why this happened," she said.

Her attorney, Judy Hyman wrote ORHS a letter saying, according to the Florida statute, "The Patients Right To Know About Adverse Medical Incidents Act," the hospital must give her the records.

"When the statute is named 'Patients Right To Know,' I don't know how it could be clearer," Hyman said.

The hospital's lawyers wrote back, "Ms. Mejia's request may require legal resolution." In other words, according to their interpretation of the law, Mejia has to sue them to get information about herself.

That's the sticking point, the interpretation of the Patients Right To Know act, a constitutional amendment Florida voters passed a little more than a year ago.

Mejia's other attorney, E. Clay Parker, said the hospital is not following the law

"We were forced to file this and ask a judge to interpret the constitutional amendment and do right," Parker said.

Mejia hopes the right thing is done. She said not knowing exactly why it happened is unbearable. She only hopes she'll be able to soon answer her little boy's question, 'What happened?'

"He told me everyday, 'What happened,' and I don't have any answers for that," she said.

ORMC said Mejia is requesting information on if there were other patients or someone on her floor with the streptococcus. They said, if they release that to her, that would be a violation of other patients' rights.

I hope this lady sues there ASS off... I mean common how does she not want to know what has happened?

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If this is true, she'll be awarded multiple millions of dollars, even though she had to have signed consent forms allowing the surgery.

There is a such thing as "implied consent" in hospitals but this only has to do with emergency/life-threatening care, so that should not apply here.

Either:

She's a dummy and didn't read her consent forms/listen to what was being explained.

or

The hospital performed this procedure without her knowledge/consent and will be sued for multiple millions of dollars and possibly shut down.

Given it's not black or white - there's gotta be a rather large grey area - I truly hope that if the latter half is true that the hospital is shut down.

3. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I dont understand, why can't the hospital explain it to her without being sued?

4. Two Sandwiches

Even if they can't explain it to her without being sued, they can't NOT explain it to her without being sued.

If thye don't explain their reasoning, something that I'm about 99% sure is required by law, she'll sue them. I'm pretty sure that they're already sure they screwed up, thus, she'll sue them. Because she already has grounds to sue them, and she'll suredly win, if releasing her info is gonna result in them getting sued more, why release it?

Honestly, if this gets more press, the hospital will either get pressured to release whatever it is or to shut down, and if it's a large hospital (just guessing by the name, it sounds like it is),

5. Two Sandwiches

I don't know what was going on.

To finish that:

If it's a large hospital (making a superficial judgment based on namesake, it seems like it is), I doubt they'll close it down.

6. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Pure speculation: some other patients transmitted the flesh eating bug to her, hospital did not have adquate hygine equipments/procedures; so the "violating other patient's rights" is just covering up their arse.

A friend of mine had baby in a local hospital and the baby got minigities, almost died, only got diagnosed after transfering to another hospital.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

speculation from #houstonrockets...

Zac_D: i'm very curious to hear the hospital's side of that
    Zac_D: i want it to end up having been justified
    Zac_D: that'd be amaaaaaaazing
    ChuckG: she was giving birth next to the rabid wolverine ward
    Zac_D: "there were aliens oozing out of the pores of your limbs. we had to remove them for the safety of the earth"
    ChuckG: but she got gangrene from the toilet seat
    ChuckG: ha, see a plot twist
    ChuckG: you thought she would get rabies
    ChuckG: it turns out it was gangrene

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Wasn't the husband around when all of this was going on?

9. Remix

Remix Member

Guys this just a simple case of..

[​IMG]

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Pretty crazy man. Like a nightmare. Just imagine waking up like that! Movie time...

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hate to tell you this, but the amputation/tragedy happened back in 2005 sometime. The date of that story is actually almost a year after it happened. From what I recall, eventually the hospital was forced to turn over records that showed what happened. She apparently got gangrene/flesh eating bacterial infection somehow. I'm not sure what updates on the story there are, but it may be worth Google'ing. Sad, sad story.

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Found this on Wikipedia.

Claudia Mejia of Sanford, Florida contracted the disease in May 2005 while at the Orlando Regional South Seminole Hospital in Orlando, Florida to give birth. Twelve days later Mejia was transfered to the Orlando Regional Medical Center to be treated for necrotizing fasciitis along with toxic shock syndrome and had both her arms and legs amputated. She sought information on whether there were other patients or someone on her floor with the streptococcus that she might have contracted it from but the hospital refused for fear of violating the other patients' privacy rights.[2] As of May 2006 a lawsuit has been filed.[3]

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No in Texas, though
    Good ole Tort Reform would limit her to like 250K at most

Rocket RIver

14. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I only point this out to nettle DrewP, but if a chiropractor had done this, it would "debunk" chriopractic care in general. Since it was a hospital, it was just a bad doctor.

;):cool:

But this is a sad, sad story. It would kill me if I couldn't hold my baby. I can only imagine how a mother must feel. As for the doctors - I understand bad things can happen, but covering things up and not being open and honest is absolutely ridiculous. They deserve whatever punishment they get.

15. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I can't even imagine what the damages value of this would be. Surely it'd have to be higher than killing her.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I think that is only if somebody sues a doctor. She'll probably sue the hospital, if not the company that owns the hospital. I don't believe suing corporations or hospitals is covered under tort reform, but I could be wrong. Is there a lawyer in the house?