1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retiring Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Do you think Rockets will retire Yao's jersey in the future?

1. Yes, he's done so much

181 vote(s)
    40.1%
  2. No, too injury prone

99 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Ask me in a few years

171 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Do you guys see the Rockets retiring Yao's jersey in the future? I'm hoping they will someday, but i'm kind of pessimistic about that happening when I look at another player who has been in a similar injury situation that did alot for the Rocket's in his short tenure here: Ralph Sampson.

2. Htown's2kFinest

yes i think they would. he's done so much for the franchise, city, and the nba.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he gets healthy and can give us 3-4 more seasons, Yes.

4. jlwee

jlwee Member

Is only mild ankle sprain. The guy's career is not over yet. Les will sign him next season for another 10 years to be a Rocket.We will discuss this again after 10 years. :)

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Not saying about the injury just saying in general injuries aside.

6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Oh and this is for his jersey btw.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

In what sense has he done a lot for the Rockets?

I don't intend to bash him, I just want to hear your take.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think if he retired tomorrow, they would retire his jersey. Not saying he necessarily deserves it, but he has been the face fo the franchise for a decade and has been their most marketable player in franchise history. His jersey being retired will have more to do with his impact on the game outside the court rather than on it.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

oh man, your pessimistic outlook appears more rooted in a belief that Yao is done, and so all his good years are behind him. Don't be so pessimistic.

to answer your question: this isn't about tenure with the rockets, as both Moses Malone and Drexler's jerseys were retired, and had shorter tenures than Yao, already. If Yao doesn't return to his great form, his Jersey won't be retired, imo If he does, it will. simple as that.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He led us to the NBA finals, well now that I think about it that was one his few accomplishments, Dang should have thought it out before :mad:

11. dback816

dback816 Member

Simple isn't it.

Look at the retired numbers we already got hanging.

22 Clyde Drexler
    23 Calvin Murphy
    24 Moses Malone
    34 Hakeem Olajuwon
    45 Rudy Tomjanovich
    CD Carroll Dawson

Now remove your nostalgia goggles and stop being a pathetic old grumpy man. Where does Yao fit? Is he better or in the same league of at least one person there? If yes, then his jersey should obviously be retired.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This is actually a VERY good question, honestly don't know. I think he really hasn't done enough, YET, but he has been the face of the franchise for a while now.

13. makman

makman Member

How about we wait till he's done playing

14. Akim523

Akim523 Member

None of those guys on the list brought you 1.4 billion fans.
    not even close.

15. toby

toby Member

They did bring me a championship.

16. Summer Song Giver

Yao has done nothing on a basketball court to warrant retiring his jersey, you retire jerseys of great players; you don't retire jerseys of good players whom you've made money off of.

Chuck Hayes, Shane Battier and the rest of the scrubs he's gotten weak sauce Chinese shoe deals for can hang his jersey from the rafters in their houses, if the Rockets do it, it would be a disgrace to the players before him who have had theirs hung.

3 people like this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

All those players went to the Finals as a rocket and four won a championship for the rockets. One of the others was a three time league MVP.

Yao does not belong.

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

He basically completely turned our franchise around both financially as well as creating interest from fans, media and free agents alike. So yes.

19. rocketman73

rocketman73 Member

i feel we should retire Yao's jersey because he has done things for the city and also for the franchise. he may have been injured a lot but he still gave his effort and support to the team and organization. also he support the city too. he is very important to our team and our city.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i7rsqsNf4SE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i7rsqsNf4SE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

How many epic NBA playoff games has Yao won? About as many jerseys as he's going to have hanging in the rafters at Toyota Center. None.

1 person likes this.