1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

SO they talk a few minutes of Rockets to begin the show and right in the heart of the conversation and randomnly in the middle, Lance says something along the lines of "but I want to bring up what Bell Bellycheck said"

1. Who the F is Bell Bellycheck? Never heard of him before.
    2. And why randomnly out of nowhere right when a Rockets conversation is going

SMH

2. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

The really sad thing is, I can have intelligent conversations with my friends about the Rockets, but a Majority of the time, It's because they are another team's fan. One is a Mavericks fan, another a Heat fan, another a Warrior fan, Celtic fan, etc. There are some Rockets fans I can talk Rockets with, but most don't even know what they're saying half the damn time. Granted though, I can probably have a barebones conversation with a casual Rockets fan, but nothing too deep.

About the average fan statement, that is BEYOND true. I remember walking into a grocery store after visiting a Texans game. It was the 2013 Seattle game in which we lost because of poor game management and horrible turnovers. People saw my Jersey on and asked me if we won. I told them we lost because of some awful turnovers by Matt Schuab, and half the people in the store didn't even know who I was even talking about. What lol? They literally said that we need a new Coach and QB, but they didn't even know who our current ones were. Things like that used to shock me, but they don't anymore. I quickly realized the moment when people were bashing Kareem Jackson and Derek Newton for resigning and calling for Rick Smith's head, just how intelligent our fanbase actually is.

3. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

Thanks reeko. All of this is on point and anyone who's lived in houston long enough will tell you the same.

4. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

I will add that this is not to say that every Houstonian is a dumb sports fan, it's just that those slower fans outnumber other fans here and it's not close.

5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Charlie is known for doing that... always interrupting the caller. He's very intelligent and knows his stuff though.

Matt Thomas on the other hand prides himself on listening to the caller.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Because Charlie is a condescending douchebag a lot of the time and always rude to his callers. Other than baseball, I find he is pretty out of touch with a lot of things (and I couldn't care less about baseball). I wasn't to enjoy a show, not listen to a know it all take calls for 3 hours and just talk over people. His show is totally caller based and 100% sports, way too boring for me.

PGS is getting hard to listen to particularly because of Lance, he is clueless about basketball and is a dick to Adam whenever he wants to talk about basketball.

Matt Thomas is the best in the business, he and Ross kill it every day

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think Lance reads this thread. During the Morey segment he talked about how he was watching college football for the NFL draft and that he took a few minutes to glance at the rockets game. It was quite humorous to me.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This is one of the main reasons Texans management is able to get away with keeping and overpaying trash qbs like they do. Freakin fan base didn't step up until it got too embarrassing. A lot Houston fans just aren't really into the game. They just want to go to buffets and restaurants and eat eat eat.

9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Lance is at almost every home game. He's been a lower bowl season ticket holder for years.

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Seriously is this true that Palillo's show is the lowest rated drive home show on Houston radio?

OK I understand 610 could be higher because of the Texans, but the 2 ass clowns at 97.5 are just extremely tough to hear, and I can not believe the trash in 1560 could even be better than him.

No way.

11. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

If you're listening to local sports radio you're doing it wrong. Listen to NPR, Pandora and if you want to listen to good bball talk podcast The Starters, Clutchfans, or Jalen Rose and Jacoby.

I used to be like the rest of you. Frustrated with crappy local sports talk then i made a decision to never listen again. My commutes are so much better these days:)

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Ranking in 2012. The Media Ranking the Local Sports Radio Shows from Worst to First

2. Charlie Pallilo (790) -- 3 p.m.-7 p.m.
    No one in Houston has a bigger sports brain than Pallilo. He's almost a savant. His four-hour drive time show is everything the stats and history geek could want and more. He has gotten to be a much better interviewer as well and ably carries his entire show solo. It's true that he is acerbic. The know-it-all, brainiac persona can rub people the wrong way, particularly when he is raking a caller over the coals for a perceived lack of knowledge, but no one brings the hardcore sports talk like CP. I'm still waiting for that perfect pairing to help balance him out, but he is so good by himself, it makes little sense to rock the boat.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Agree with this. Lance gives quality info on what he knows best and that's clearly football. I've been seeing his NFL draft write-ups on sports groups on FB and he's on NFL Network now so he's blowing up.

I mentioned that Adam is a real Rockets fan. That doesn't make him very knowledgeable about the sport though. An example of this is that he thinks the Clippers are a worse match-up for the Rockets than the Warriors. The Warriors are the #1 offensive and defensive team. They blow out everyone. That's the last team I want to play and consequently would love to finish at #2 or #3 so we can avoid them until the WCF :cool:

The young, grumpy sounding dude seems to watch more sports than both Adam and Lance. Guys in the business that get paid for it seemingly watch less sports than most of us fanatics. These guys don't watch a lot of college football either...listening to them speak about it was painful this past season.

I don't listen to Charlie any more. Not because of content. Morning = sleepy = sports radio. Afternoons after work = crunk = music.

14. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I think there are a lot of so called texans fans who don't really pay attention the game and just know about hear say or what other people's opinions are that is popular. I bet most people who say Kubiak's play calling was too predictable didn't even pay attention to plays he calls, just hear that's the popular opinion about him.

15. Indaface

Indaface Member

Lots of those fans, what's funny is among my group of friends everyone is pretty knowledgeable about Texans/Rockets goings on/analysis. Most of us all watch the games and keep up with the latest and greatest. Conversations with them is always great.

It's at work where I get subjected to all the casual fans who listen to 610 or 790 religiously and base all their opinions on what a show host/caller is saying. It's hard trying to get through those convos without sounding like an ******* but man the uninformed trying to talk like they are informed because of what some guy says on the radio is pretty annoying.

16. Aaron_D

Aaron_D Member

They've got to talk about what resonates with the most listeners. Right, wrong or indifferent, they've got to play the hits.

17. hakeemthagreat

Driving to work listening to Lance talk about his excitement for the Astro's after a Rockets nationally televised game yesterday smh. Houston radio really despises the Rockets

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Well, it IS opening day...

It would be total BS if all they talked about was the Astros and Texans

19. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Yup, As long as Lance has a reason to talk about something other than the Rockets. Now that there is absolutely nothing to say regarding the Texans, he goes on to random topics to avoid the rockets. Astros opening day I understand but my whole drive to work which takes about 45 minutes, there was not one single mention of yesterdays game.

I actually want to see the Rockets make a deep playoff push and get this city all crazy again just so I can see how Lance tries to squirm away from the Rockets discussion despite of all that. "Well yeah, the rockets are facing the warriors in the western conference finals tonight, but i want to go over the Texans draft picks again right now" and on & on & on for the next 3 hours.

20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Call in and then they'll talk about what you call about. It works, I do it from time to time. I get them to talk about U of H from time to time. If they'll take a Cougar call they'll take a Rockets call. You can call up and say something as simple as "I watched the game yesterday and Harden was amazing, do you think they can win it all?" Then Adam will start running down the options of who the Rockets will face. Lance will tell you a story about how this team reminds him of old school XYZ and they'll talk about them for awhile.

They aren't Matt/Adam but they do love talking Rockets. Remember Lance does a bunch of NFL work.