1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 BCS National Championship Game: (1) Florida St. vs. (2) Auburn

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Dec 7, 2013.

?

Who wins the 2014 BCS National Championship game?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2014.
  1. Florida St.

29 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. Auburn

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

True, but I'm not sure Clemson is that great. Auburn beat 3 top 10 teams. FSU played like... Duke.

2. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

I can't believe I'm rooting for an SEC team... but I feel compelled to root for Auburn after their win vs. Bama.

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

And FSU beat 2 by an average of 32 points. Of the top 10 teams Auburn played, Alabama was legit (though it took a fluke play to win). The other two I'd classify more like Clemson, not ultra impressive.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Auburn was in several close games = tested. FSU = untested. Heat comes around the corner, Auburn is experienced... FSU = untested. Sorry bros, I don't create the tests. Bama was a favorite over Auburn, Auburn surprised people. They keep on surprising people. They have the mojo.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You continue to surprise me with your absurd football takes, which is saying a lot.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

FSU is untested because they're so much better than everyone else they play...

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes they were certainly tested by Miss St and Washington St., as well as LSU. They were also tested by Alabama, who they beat on a fluke play, and Georgia who they beat on and even flukier(is that even a word) play. They were even tested by A&M who defensively didn't test much of anyone this year.

You are right FSU wasn't tested by anyone, including Clemson who is better than 4 or 5 of the teams listed above and beat one of them. I won't be surprised if they aren't tested on Jan. 6th either.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, I don't think they'll win, but if it's close, a test... I'll take Auburn.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Auburn from the first month of the season is a VASTLY different team than Auburn from the last month of the season. Surely that's obvious.

I'll give you the Georgia play being a fluke, but what was "fluky" about the Alabama play? They were more prepared than Alabama was on that play and they capitalized on it. It's not like they were tied for 59 minutes and 59 seconds off of a fluke...

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Or let me rephrase...

It was a fluke play, but not strictly because of luck. It was a play you hardly ever see, but Auburn was prepared for the situation while Alabama wasn't.

11. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I think Florida State wins by at least a TD. Something like 34-27 sounds about right to me.

12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Fluke: noun 1. an unlikely chance occurrence, esp. a surprising piece of luck.

I believe that a 109 kick off return off a miss field goal as time expired to win a game has an unlikely chance of occurring.

:)

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

A fluke is when something happens that you did not intend. I don't think fluke is the right term in that Auburn intended and was prepared to return the field goal if it was missed (which was likely to occur from that distance). Although it was an unlikely occurence, fluke is generally used from results that occur based solely on luck (that are unintended). I.e., that was a flukey pool shot. Fluke is when a team gets something they don't deserve. Alabama should have given a bit more effort in covering.

14. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

hoping for a good one, the national games these past few years have been underwhelming to say the least

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Let's go! WDE

16. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Roll Nole Roll

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Want FSU to win, but bet on Auburn. This way I'm happy either way.

18. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

How many trick plays will Auburn run? Gus will have something up his sleeve.

Also, why do people cheer when they win the toss? That pisses me off haha

19. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Auburn can't let them convert that 3rd and 16, but good defensive stand holding FSU to a FG.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Jeez, this FSU defense is intimidating.

I guess it's usually the HC/OC on the sidelines telling the QB what to expect from the defense, but I wish college QBs could read defenses better.