1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard Chen Profile

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HI Mana, Nov 11, 2012.

1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Much like the 11:55 sketch on an SNL episode, I don't expect this thread to go very far. But I came across this short profile on the Rockets' OTHER Taiwanese, Howard Chen, and figured that it might be something different to ruminate on rather than coaching, Jeremy Lin and why the rookies aren't playing.

You might know him as the Asian guy who reads tweets during breaks in the action on CSN. Although apparently from reading this board, most everyone actually living in Houston hasn't due to the Comcast dispute. I must give it up to Comcast for finding something more inane than in-game sideline coaching interviews; I dearly hope that when the Spurs come into Houston they go to the logical extension and ask Pop a question starting with "randomasshat42 tweeted at us... your opinion?".

Anyway, I'm happy to see a competent Asian in the media, and much like Jeremy Lin, has a handle on what his presence means to future generations as a role model.

1 person likes this.
  2. fishguy91

fishguy91 Member

dont know too much abt thim, seems like a nice guy tho

3. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

He is annoying as fck

4. MKL

MKL Member

Now that you're making him out like a real person, a human being. We'll feel guilty hating on him.

However, the majority of us neckbeards would rather have a hotgirl doing his job. If there is a slim chance she'll flash a nipple, the forum would explode like 15 pages begging for screenshots.

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

He's like the Jeremy Lin of the sports casting world. Watch Chensanity explode in February when he goes on an unexpected run of entertaining sports reporting and make the cover of GQ.

lol jk

6. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Yea i dont wanna hear what people are tweeting, Howard! Unless like MKL said: if there were a fine lady, id be ok and listen to every tweet

7. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Chensanity

8. MKL

MKL Member

What did you expect, he went to highschool in Houston. lol. And he was born in Canada. haha. Recipe for failure.

9. kinein

kinein Member

I'm going to have to say I understand that he isn't charismatic and due to that he is going to catch some hate - but there are a lot of local media folks in Houston from the top to the bottom whom also lack charisma - or are just plain tiresome to listen to.

I blame Comcast.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Horrible management decision to put him in the role he's in- he simply isn't good at it. It's like playing Toney Douglas- inexcusable executive decision.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Howard's a good dude; I've known him since we were in Junior High together. He's a big Calgary Flames fan, IIRC. Also, he's wanted to do broadcasting for as long as I've known him, and that's why he ended up going to Syracuse. He's paid his dues in smaller markets since graduating, and I'm glad he's got a chance to come back home and be in a bigger market.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Give him a chance.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

He is kind of annoying but reading this makes me like him a lot more. I will stop putting my League pass on mute when his segment comes on from now on after reading this. :p

14. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

The invasion of HoChen Only Fans is upon us. tinman might have to be put on suicide watch.

15. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

seems like a nice dude. quit being a dick

1 person likes this.
  16. VanityHalfBlack

He's gotten better I think, during the Pistons game, looked more natural/comfortable in front of the camera/ didn't rush his tweets or looked nervous.. Give the guy some time or hire another hot blonde to take over...

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

hes just doing whats hes told to do damn so much hatred

18. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

I thought he graduated in Harvard.

19. nbafever

nbafever Member

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but for a segment that's supposed to be light-hearted, he's not funny at all. That's why it comes off as awkward and sometimes painful to watch.

In comparison, look at how Bull and Bill come off--goofy and corny, but they are funny.

20. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

The Rockets' OTHER Taiwanese? Lin is American and Chen is born Canadian and maybe now a naturalized American.

There are no Taiwanese on the Rockets team.