1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Paul Responds to TSA: Introduces 'American Traveler Dignity Act'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rtsy, Nov 17, 2010.

1. rtsy

rtsy Member

The man seems somewhat upset.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwsdq69AHnw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwsdq69AHnw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. SunsRocketsfan

Dr Paul is awesome!

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This is a good idea that I can support.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Give me a f'ing break -- walk through the x-ray.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Exactly.

[​IMG]

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

And the big deal is...?

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

radiation exposure

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

The systematic removal of our rights all in the name of making us safer, which we aren't.

9. Rashmon

Except this is not a removal of rights any more than walking through a metal detector.

If you don't want someone "touching your junk," walk through the scanner.

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Umm, yes it is.

11. Rashmon

While I tend to side with you philosophically, this is the real world, and I don't want someone's philosophy decreasing my safety.

There are two options in this situation, pat-down and scanner, and if you turn down one you better be ready to accept the other.

What right is being denied? What is your alternative?

12. rhadamanthus

You honestly feel safer with this stuff? With report after report and article after article condemning and verifying it as little more than theater with the handy benefit of making some folks very wealthy?

Even if you don't buy that, huge lines to get through security strike me as an easy place to kill a few hundred people with a suicide bomb. Where do you draw the line at this stupidity?

There is most certainly another set of options:

1) Don't fly - if enough people do this, trust me, the "security" will go away very fast.
    2) Change the rules to something less ridiculous.
    3) Can the TSA and the whole department of homeland security as a giant cluster**** of money-wasting. (my preference)

Right? A very nebulous term... Ignoring long philosophical or legal arguments, what is being denied is my "right" or my "preference" for rational and effective travel.

My preferred alternative would be to go back to what we had pre-9/11. Everything since then has been enormously expensive with virtually no tangible benefit.

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

14. Rashmon

1. Don't fly...unlikely
    2. Change the rules...always an option...in every situation where rules exist
    3. Reassess Homeland Security cluster****...Agreed

You do make some good points regarding crowds as a target. Anywhere a crowd exists.

All the more reason to seek ways to protect our safety in non-invasive convenient manners.

Like some sort of a passive scanner that you just walk through. Kind of like a metal detector, or some other type of scanner that looks at your whole body.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I really don't see what the big deal is.

Maybe if the government wasn't involved people would stfu?

16. rhadamanthus

The big deal is the wastefulness and stupidity inherent to each of these new "security" measures. I have to give up my time, my privacy, and my ability to rationally analyze the situation. More to the point, I have to pay for it.

It's silly, stupid, and without any redeeming value. That's a big deal.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

reading some of yalls comments here is really depressing.

you are the 'cattle' that paul is referring to at the end of the video.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Would it bother you if this was fully controlled by a private airline and you paid for the security in the cost of your ticket?

19. rhadamanthus

I don't claim credit for this, but it's spot on:

All that needed to be done post 9/11 was accomplished when they fortified the cockpit doors. The only reason the attacks on 9/11 were so outrageously successful was that no one had tried it before.

To what lengths are you willing to go in the name of your abused obedience to unnecessary authority?

A terrorist could put explosives up his ass, he could bring anthrax spores on the plane in an envelope, he could very easily short the batteries on a laptop. Heck, as reporter after reporter and report after report has confirmed, you can still get knives on a plane without too much difficulty.

Stop being such pansies. If someone wants to kill you, there's not much you can really do about it after a certain practical point. Be vigilant, be concerned, be constructive and reasonable. But don't be an irrational nitwit. That just makes life miserable for no reason.

3 people like this.
  20. rhadamanthus

Yes, it's still dumb and I'm still paying for it. And a private corporation could not do this because they would be sued into oblivion.