1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about Tony Key?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RichRocket, Jun 14, 2001.

Tags:
  1. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Many of these articles we read about high schoolers entering the NBA draft mention some guy by the name of Tony Key from Compton, CA in the same reference with Curry, Diop, Chandler, and all the studs.

I've never seen anything detailed about the guy nor have I ever seen him projected to go anywhere. Does anybody here know about him?

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If this is who I think it is, I remember him being part of some scandal where his high school had to forfeit games and he couldn't finish the season with them. I don't think it was anything illegal, but more along the lines of he moved from Kentucky to stay with a relative in Compton, and somehow this made it illegal for him to play on his Compton high school's team.

------------------
    "Now it is more clear that it doesn't make sense." -- HeyPeeism at its convoluted best.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I thought Tony Key used to be the public relations guy for the little Mavericks. [​IMG]

------------------

4. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tony Key wasn't even one of the top 50 players in high school. I don't even think he is in the top 100. That's why you haven't heard of him. He is just someone looking for some pub because he wasn't eligible for division I ball.

------------------

5. mfclark

mfclark Member

Tony Key's no good, he won't be drafted. He's the poster child for why you should go to college. David Stern has even told all 29 teams not to work him out at all, to drive home a lesson.

------------------

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I think I remember reading that Tony Key did not graduate from high school, therefore it was impossible for him to college. So he did the logical thing, declare for the draft and see if he gets lucky.

------------------

7. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I am going to repost this from an earlier thread.

PHOENIX -- Day Three began at Mesa Community College, a local JUCO, observing a workout for high schooler turned NBA Draft eligible player: Tony Key. Key, an already well-traveled 6-foot-10, 275-pound interior player, participated in a lengthy 5-on-5 full-court scrimmage before a dozen or so NBA teams.

Key, whose brother plays with the Harlem Globetrotters, showed all the game rust of a not-too-well-conditioned athlete. But the NBA scouts here didn't care much about his conditioning, an issue quickly resolved with a vigorous training program. What they did see was a player with unlimited upside to his game, a player who may get the opportunity to display his wares in better game shape next month at the Chicago camp.

The key question regarding such an unheralded prospect concerns just how good he can become in a few years. Teams may wish to draft this type of player late in the first round with the hope he develops into a solid NBA player while under contract to them. Key's play in Chicago next month may well determine whether he's a late first round selection or just another name added to the list of undrafted early entry candidates."

No offense, MFClark, but it sounds pretty far-fetched that David Stern would call any team and tell them not to work someone out. What is your source for this info? What lesson was he trying to teach Key as opposed to any other high schooler that declared?

------------------

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Thanks for the post Moe. Anyone have any idea how good this guy is?

The reference I saw mentioned him with the other gem high-schoolers of this draft: Diop, Curry, Brown, and Chandler. That's pretty good company in which to be included but then nobody else talks about him.

Weird.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.