1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Paul Millsap actually better than Carlos Boozer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Millsap as a starter this year

18.4 PPG
    11.7 RPG
    2.4 APG
    1.5 SPG
    1.3 BPG

56.7% FG
    69.2% FT
    12.7 shot attempts

Boozer as a starter last year

21.1 PPG
    10.4 RPG
    2.9 APG
    1.2 SPG
    0.5 BPG

54.7% FG
    73.8% FT
    16.0 shot attempts

The numbers seem to indicate that Millsap gives you similar offensive production while taking significantly less shots, and while playing much more effective defense. With both Boozer opting out after this season and Millsap becoming a restricted free agent, is the writing on the wall that this is Boozer's last run with the Jazz? I don't see how they could warrant re-signing both, and Millsap is 4 years younger, a better defender, and has no history of health issues as Boozer does.

* I used Millsap's stats from this year and Boozer's from last year to represent more comparable situations. For example, Deron Williams was out most if not all the time that Boozer was healthy this season.

#1 ClutchCityReturns, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. kikimama

kikimama Member

Who cares, they are the Utah Jizznuts. Both are douche bags. I guess Millsap will become a bigger douche soon enough.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He isn't better than Boozer but having him will make it easier for the Jazz to let Boozer go this summer.

4. ClutchCityReturns

I'm not arguing one way or the other really, but why do you feel that Boozer is better? His offensive numbers are only slightly more impressive overall, and his defense is definitely not on the same level as Millsap. Are you giving a lot of weight to Boozer's sustained body of work? Do you feel that Millsap is still sneaking up on the competition? If so, I agree those should count for something, but I'm not sure how much.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and to think...we chose steve novak as our 4 that year. :(

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i dont think he is anymore, for the first few games yes, but he has had what 18-19 straight double-doubles? teams definitely know who he is right now. if he keeps this up making the all-star team as a reserve isnt an absurd idea anymore.

i am just glad I was able to get him on my fantasy team as a FA about 3 games into his double-double streak.

and

whats with the novak dig? ;)

7. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

I think Boozer has more of an offensive arsenal, and has proven himself in the playoffs. I would give Milsap the edge on defense, though. He seems to be a better shot blocker and rebounder.

Right now, I would say Boozer is still better.

8. Asian Sensation

You absolutely have to take into account the sustained body of work. Boozer has put up 20/10 + for the past two (near) whole seasons and is and would continue to be doing that (even though he's missed games to injury). Boozer is still in his prime at age 27 and I still can't get over how badly he took Yao to the back of the woodshed in the 06-07 Playoffs.

Millsap is impressive and he is highly efficient filling in for the time being. Best of all he seems to keep getting better. With that said however, I think Boozer is the more refined player by far. Also you'd think Millsap's efficiency may drop off over the course of a whole season. Boozer is a legit 2nd option/star on any team. Millsap is at best a 3rd option. I say this because Millsap doesn't have the post moves/go to moves to that of a Carlos Boozer. Many of Millsap's points come from sheer hustle/dedication and making the right cuts and getting open aka a product of Sloan. Both are the beneficiary of a great coach who designs nice plays and being spoon fed from a stud PG helps too.

9. ClutchCityReturns

I agree with everything you said, but I also give consideration to Boozer's injury history. He's only played in 69% of possible games over the past 5 years. In comparison, McGrady has played 79% of his game in that same period.

Perhaps I'm straying too far from my original question (who is the better player?) but I figure health is an aspect worth considering.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Talk about a system player.

I just hope no other team is looking at these stats and thinking "He'll do the same thing here".

I never thought Boozer was all that special either, he fits well with Sloan's offense just like Millsap does. Actually, there are only a few players on their team that i think would have the same impact in a different system. The other thing the Jazz have to worry about is who's backing up for Millsap if they let Booze go?

11. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Well, I'd say Boozer has a VERY reliable mid-range jumper and is extremely quick for his size driving left. He also has a pretty good post game. Overall, I'd say you could plug him into most teams and he'd be pretty effective.

As for Millsap, I think it's too early to say how good he is. Bynum was supposed to be huge this year wasn't he? 1 or 2 months does not a player make.

12. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

maybe its just jerry sloans offense which puts PFs in a place where they can be more succesful. i mean how else would you explain karl, boozer and now milsap turning into an allstar. boozer wasnt very good before he went to utah.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Put him on any other team and his production will go back to his cleveland years. Sloan knows how to get the most production out of the 4 position.

14. ClutchCityReturns

For a second year PF, I'd say his numbers were pretty darn good...

15.5 PPG
    11.4 RPG (probably good for top 5 in the league?)
    2.0 APG
    1.0 SPG
    0.7 BPG (could be much better, but is also a career high)

52.3% FG
    76.8% FT
    Only 12 shot attempts per game

Looking at his improvement from year 1 to 2, I think the slight improvement in offensive production he exhibited from 2 to 3 would have been expected even if he stayed in Cleveland.

15. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

No.

My message is too short.

16. ClutchCityReturns

Interesting read.

I think it falls in line with how I feel about the situation. That is, while Boozer has shown the ability to be slightly more productive than Millsap, and for a much longer period of time, but he might ultimately be the better guy to keep because he's younger, has no history of injury, and will be cheaper.

In the end, I think they let Boozer walk.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the answer is yes, for what he costs, and what he does by playing within their system.

Boozer is better overall, but not so much so that his cap hit will be worth it...pay a guy a lot less that does about the same thing and is healthier and plays harder.

Yes, he is better.

DD

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't know, he'd have to sustain it longer to really compare. it does allow them to put that money somewhere other than boozer.

utah's roster is a little scary looking with 3-point threats they have. in addition to the flopping that the league continually allows them to get away with, they may have a championship shot when they get healthy. i really don't like saying that, but they have a nice little mix of players.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What is should tell you is for every morey the magician crap, utah has pulled mo williams,cj miles,ronnir brewer, ak-47, milsap, and now koufus and fasenko in the lower part of the draft and or 2nd rd. That's called talent evaluation.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Boozer wasn't as effective offensively pre-Utah. Put Millsap in another uniform and he won't be as effective either. The Utah offense creates misleading offensive stats for that position. Like a Texas Tech QB. No Millsap isn't better. But if you put Mo Taylor at that position he would average 16.