1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Eagles @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well, now you see what Tony Romo has been up against pretty much his whole Cowboys career. He's had to make up for the shortcomings of the rest of the team many seasons by trying to do more as a QB to win games...which makes him susceptible to making critical mistakes by trying to push the game in a winning direction. It means forcing the action while trying to force a positive result. Romo has had some success in that but he's also had some failures. Mostly, fans want to blame the QB when it all falls apart when it's really the shortcomings are with the rest of the team not pulling their weight.

It's a difficult position for any QB to be in when they are not getting good protection. The fact is it's hard to win games with a bad offensive line...whether that line is decimated by injuries or just isn't very good to begin with. NYG is having a hell of a time; they can't run the ball. They are a predictable, pass happy offense. At least you'll got Foster who can run the ball. It could be worse without him.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

So did the Texans seriously draft Savage in hopes of him being the franchise QB one day? If so, we have a long road ahead of us...

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yeah, kind of a confusing situation. I dont understand picking a QB at that spot unless we have hopes that he can be our future QB...otherwise, what's the point? And if we do have hopes of him being the future QB, it'll be some time before we can even figure that out...however, we really have until the next draft to figure it out. If we are going to take a QB in the first round of the 2015 draft, then we have essentially wasted the Savage pick and could have taken guys like Corey Linsley and E.J. Gaines, who were drafted later, but have contributed nicely to their teams.

I think this team really doesnt know what direction to go in...seems like they play everything by ear, which is a really bad route to take in the NFL.

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Yeah, I'm thinking if you draft a 4th round QB you need to have a really good idea of what he can achieve and how fast you can get him to that level. In no way should he worry about losing his job now. But his window can't be wide open enough to ignore the position except with the hope of a 4th rounder being ready for the middle of 2015 or start of 2016.

The position is just too high profile to punt on. Every team has had to try drafting a QB early. It doesn't work out most of the time, but not even trying means you better be the Einstein of QB gurus.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

From the reports I heard, they drafted him because he was rated exactly where they were picking. I highly doubt they drafted him because they thought he was their guy. I don't think you gamble and wait on "your guy" to be there in the 4th. I think he is what he is, rated to go in the 4th, they take him with a low risk pick. If he turns out to be the guy, great. If not, so be it.

I wouldn't be surprised either if they took him just to say they took a QB in the draft.