1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Phillips Sabotage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I know a lot has already been said on this board about the soon-to-be official hiring of Wade Phillips as the defensive coordinator of the Houston Texans. However, emphasis must be placed on how Bum Phillips, through his good ole boy network, has sabotaged the Texans and perhaps Gary Kubiak's career as a head coach.

First of all, it's no hidden secret that Wade Phillips has had his eyes on the Houston coaching job since the Texans expansion was first announced. Bum heavily lobbied Bob McNair to make Wade the Texans coach back in 2002. Now 8 years later, Bum has given Kubiak the vote of confidence only to help his son's chances at succeeding as head coach next season.

Here's what's going to happen next season, Kubiak is going to be his usual self or the friendly loser everyone seems to love these days. No amount of Phillips defense can make up for Kubiak's terrible in game play-calling and piss poor preparation before the game. So, expect the Texans to start decent and then lose 3-4 games in the middle of the season before Kubiak is finally fired. Then, who is there to conveniently replace Kubiak? Yes, that boy Phillips with a twinkle in his eye and a daddy to work his charm on McNair.

This part I'm going to personally guarantee: Bum Phillips like a good serpent will be the one leading the charge to fire Kubiak. Look for him to spew venom through leaks in the good ole boy network. The same Bum who is right now singing praises and giving his thumbs up to Kubiak, will be the one to call for Kubiak's head once things go south next season.

Now for the sabotage part.

1) If Kubiak were to be fired today, he would be Denver's top choice given Elway is going to run the front office. Good ole boy network always helps you find a job. Beyond the Broncos, no one would seriously consider Kubiak who would have to return to offensive coordinator for another startup team. So, that vote of confidence by Bum is really setting up Kubiak for failure when he gets fired next year and his one shot at another coaching gig has already been filled.

2) If Kubiak were to be fired today, Houston would go after Bill Cowher who has pretty much made it public that he wants to coach and Houston is among his top choices. By waiting a year and keeping Phillips in line as the successor, there is going to be no legitimate search for new head coach. This team, its players, and its fans deserve better than Wade Phillips by default through good ole boy network scheming.

After all is said and done, Texans fans say hello to your next head coach (in waiting): Wade Phillips.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

You have GOT to be kidding me.

[​IMG]

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Cower would not come here.

If Kubiak were fired today he would be a top ten OC next year.

4. cdastros

cdastros Member

Wade has a better record than Gary.

5. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

UH's Wade Phillips > TAMU's Gary Kubiak. Sorry 'bout it!

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Pretty much setting up what happened to Wade with Jason Garrett.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Justin Beiber has as many playoff seasons as Gary.

1 person likes this.
  8. Summer Song Giver

This Franchise is a complete joke. Watching Mr. Mcnair on Bob Allen's show last night, I have zero confidence a turn around is coming.

Mr. Mcnair has zero football savvy and it shows, his ineptness has filtered down to everyone involved. I watched Jacoby Jones laughing and joking after the win and realized there has never been and I have doubts as to whether there ever will be a sense of urgency from anyone involved with the team to win. It is not a priority and until there is a switch in organizational mindset, there never will be. This team is losers and I refuse to whole heartedly (fool heartedly) invest anymore of my time and money into watching them be happy just to be there.

Today we will watch another Defensive Coordinator be scapegoated while our player coddling Head coach cruises into another off-season. Can Mr. Mcnair really be this blind? We will be treated to more of the same until Mr. Mcnair sets in his heart that a WINNING Team is all that is acceptable to him.

Unfortunately, he is patient to a fault, this sucks!

9. msn

msn Member

the opening post is the most ludicrous bit of conspiracy theory I've seen in a while, and that's saying a lot.

you should consider a career in political commentary.

10. msn

msn Member

:confused:

What, they should be long-faced and stoic after winning a football game? The season has been dead for like four weeks. And, they won the game.

"Sense of urgency." That makes about as much sense as saying "well, they wanted it more." Ultimately, I could give a rat's behind about "fieriness" and "urgency" and "attitude" and blah, blah, blah, as long as they EXECUTE on the field. For example, what did BP's "fieriness" do for us this year? Dude forgot how to tackle at times, and still can't cover. Oh, but he's got FIRE!!!

11. Summer Song Giver

It was complacency I saw and I don't want my best players getting complacent let alone JJ. That is a flaw in the franchise when JJ is allowed to be complacent and he was dripping with it.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wade Phillips is not a bad head coach. To be honest I would rather have him than Kubiak. My only issue with Wade is we can do better, and why settle for an overcooked TBone when you can get a perfectly cooked Ribeye?

Kubiak is of course the cheap ballpark hotdog in all this.

#12 justtxyank, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  13. msn

msn Member

after the game was over??? what did you want to see?

I'm not at all against the idea that a culture change could be very necessary in that clubhouse, but the example you're pointing to here just seems silly to me.

The season's over, it's been dead for at least a month, the game was over, and it was a win. It's not like dude was laughing after dropping a pass in the fourth quarter down by 7.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Justin filled RELIANT last year and got lots of people (albeit 13-year-olds) excited. :(

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I don't think it's sabotage. I DO think Wade Phillips will be the next head coach of the Houston Texans. It makes too much "McNair sense."

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A top ten OC? Now that's a real accomplishment!

Too bad he's not a top 20 head coach and we are stuck with him again next year. Two years too many.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

**** that. if i screw up at my job for 11 months out of the year, i don't celebrate when i do good for one month.

18. msn

msn Member

no one said he was celebrating. Dude saw a footage of a guy laughing. what was the context? don't act like he was busting out the champaign over pulling out that six-win season.

again, what do you *want* to see? fifty-three guys walking around all sullen? do want to see them blubbering?

this is a stupid thing to criticize.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i think you should have a little respect for your fans and not act happy after you and your teammates and coaches completely disappointed us yet another season.

20. msn

msn Member

I think that's just silly. "Remember to keep a long face and show some fieriness--the cameras are on and the fans are watching!!"

The game, along with this piss-poor excuse of a season, was over.