1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610] Daryl Morey Interview (5/19)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 19, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. faraza84

faraza84 Member

in class, could someone put up a recap. thanks

3. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

it hasn't even started yet :D

4. BleedsRocketRed

phew just in time!

5. BleedsRocketRed

coming up right now!

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Daryl: McGrady could be ready for the start of the season.

7. rocketsmetalspd

Ready to be traded that is.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I am pretty sure they are not gonna trade him.

1 person likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will attempt a recap as I drink my morning Peppermint Mocha.

Typed as listened in real time, so please excuse the typing errors.

H = Host
    DM= Daryle Morey
    C= Caller

------------------------------------------------------------

Host: Season finale of the DM show, will Jack Bauer join the Rockets? Who shot JR....

DM: I think Carl landry was the one that was shot.

HILARITY ENSUES !!!

DM: I jumped of 24 in season 3.....because episodes like 4 - 22 are just filler, the writers are just writing episodes going...can't we get to episode 24 please...just make it 8 instead of 24...but that doesn't roll of toungue.

H: You had an interesting season - was it a shock or surprise how the team underperfomed in game 7, even though it was supposed to be tough.

DM: It did surprise beccause the team had battled all year, thought we would give ourselves a shot in the end, we didn't but we should be proud of going 2-2 without Yao Ming, which is pretty impressive, maybe if we got game 3...but the Lakers are a good team got to give them credit.

H: They took advantage of their size.

DM: Yeah, we had 25 million playing against their 70 million, they turned up the D, and without Yao and Tracy it was too much to ask Ron and 2nd year player Aaron to carry the scoring load.

H: Plans going forward?

DM: We will be pretty active, in the draft, we have picked up 4 picks in the last 3 years, we have Ron and Von to address, and the trade front might be active this year with the economy, sort of like baseball, like deals are lower than agents are looking for and no agent will want to sign a deal lower than normal or be the first to do it.

H: Are teams settting up for 2010 free agency?

DM: Teams will be on both sides of the 2010 equation, and teams in a tough economic spot will be trading with teams in in a much better economic state.

H: Steve Nash deal?

DM: Adam coming in with a a caller question.

H: Do not expect you to respond

DM: I would get fined for that.

H: Where you surprised the Celtics lost game 7 at home

DM: Yeah, a little because they have only lost like 2 in 40 years, but he thinks the Magic are the better team overall, but once they started making their 3s, it gets tough..and that was what they did in game 7

H: When will Tracy be able to play, the latest?

DM: The earliest is the start of the season, but that is a long shot, the latest, unsure, these injuries are hard to predict ...but on the front end, he could be ready at the start of the year

H: Ron Artest - how difficult will it be to sign him?

DM: You don't know, we hope it is not difficult, but some of the dynamics of free agency are going to make it hard on any team...hard to know the answer to this.

H: What does AB need to work on this offseason

DM: Development on defense and finishing, and work on his left hand a little bit, these are improvements not necessarily weaknesses, most of his turnovers are with the left hand.

H: Carl Landry

DM: Focus and committed on the defensive end....he focused on the offense last summer but we need him committed on D too

H: Scola?

DM: Just get some rest, we don't have a lot of burdens for Luis because of his national team committments, maybe work on his left hand

H: Von

DM: Von made a lot of strides, but he is similar to Carl in that he needs to work on the defensive end, and being more integrated into the offense, he is a supreme scorer and driver, but not as involved at getting teamates the ball...though he had a couple of games where he did that well too.

H: Will teams be interested in Von?

DM: Yes, both Von and Ron, DM never had a problem with a player looking for the best situation, money or whatever...we are focused on the Rockets, he doesn't have a problem with players doing whatever they need to do, Von has been a good story for us.

H: Kyle Lowry

DM: Finishing at the basket, and a full training camp will help, also shooting, he is a very focused guy, already talking about shooting 1000 shots a day in the summer, we may tweak his shot a bit in the offseason, didn't want to mess with it during the year.

H: What about Yao, and the future, he can opt out in 2010?

DM: We are still committed, he is our cornerstone, all the contract stuff we will keep in house, never address that publicly, in terms of injuries, we are optimistic, even though he is a big guy and prone to injury, this one is a very small issue the doctors are not worried about it...it came at a bad time....if it came earlier he would have healed up and been right back out there playing.

H: Ron struggled without Yao....surprised?

DM: Not really, he has a game that is hard to quantify, he is the guy that has to force the issue and take the hardest shots, whomever is that player, Tracy was the focus before, but Ron got some of that because he had to force the issue on some of that because others were out.

H: Taking callers?

Caller: Ocho Texto - Congrats on a successful season, and thanks for taking the calls, and letting me live my GM....life...get me out of this broom closet and get a window view?

DM: We don't even get that corner office.

OTexto: I look forward to the acquistion of Chris Bosh and Joe Johnson...

DM: I would retire if you got that done.

OTexto : Do not resign Yao.....

DM: No question there is there?

H: thanks for taking the time all year.....

END OF THE SHOW....

MY fingers are now...officially SORE.....

They are playing Lady Gagga as an exit to the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------

DONE.

DD

#9 DaDakota, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    11 people like this.
  10. BleedsRocketRed

Basic recap of important points:

Morey was upset on how we lost game 7. He honestly thought Rockets had a better shot, but does not want to take away from the fact of even making it that far without Yao. Gave Lakers credit because they are a good team. Their size and defense were the key to game 7 win.

Plans for active offseason and draft. Wont do something to just do something. Ron and Von situation important. Expects active trade offseason due to economy. Trade front coming up due to some teams willing to part ways to scrap salary.

Morey laughed at the notion of Nash brought up, kinda beat around the bush, wont say anything to avoid being fined by the league.

Morey surprised at Boston losing game 7 a home.

Latest on Tmac playing again, doctors haven't ruled out beginning of season, but he does not honestly know when he would be ready. Says honestly could be ready for start of season.

He does not know about Artest now, hopes it wont turn difficult. Too hard to know at this point since its early.

Arron Brooks - Looking for continued develop defensively and finishing. Wants him to work on left hand and dribbling errors. Minor issues, left hand causes dribbling errors

Carl - Get him focused on D. Thinks hes improving, but feels he could improve on D

Scola - Wants him to rest, but maybe work on his left hand.

Wafer - Feels he made a lot of strides, same as Carl pretty much, Defense. Maybe more integrated into the offense. Feels like there will be competition to sign him in offseason

Lowry - Finishing at the basket, thinks a full training camp will help him out. He needs t work on shooting, but he was told hes focused, maybe tweak and work on his jump shot

Future of Yao - Still feels hes the cornerstone of the team. Keeping all contract negotiations between him and the team. Feels optimistic of Yao, not worried about this latest injury. Doctors are saying he will be fine and its only minor.

Feels Ron and Arron were given situations where they had to force the issue and results to their inefficiency at times.

9 people like this.
  11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Jeff, no offense to you, but what makes you so sure they won't trade Tracy. Morey never tips his hand to anything.

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Five Star Recap.

thx

13. BugOnAHarley

BugOnAHarley Contributing Member

Thanks for the recaps.

Hmmm. Good to hear they have some draft picks from previous trades.

14. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

DD, great job!

It means a lot for those who can't listen to or watch anything at work.

15. DaDakota

I have to try to earn my keep/rep and do something positive for the board......

I post often enough....

:D

DD

2 people like this.
  16. real_egal

Is this a not-so-subtle way to ask for approval points? I just found out this reputation thing recently. First I thought it was online status for that small green square, that I saw you and a few others got 2 or 3. I was like - maybe they are online all the time?:D

OK, you got my point for the recap.

1 person likes this.
  17. DaDakota

I want people to start using the rep feature for quality posts etc, that is the only way it will start to be useful.

I spread a lot of rep around, probably the most of anyone, if there is a good post or poster, I let it fly...

I encourage everyone to rep posts they think add to the quality of the board.

I really want the GARM to improve, too much gunk in here...we need to scoosh it out.

:)

Thanks for the comments about the recap, it is not easy to do, but I enjoy doing it...

DD

3 people like this.
  18. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

Thanks again, DD

19. real_egal

While we are at it, off-topic to the interview, how do you disapprove a post? the only radio button available is "I approve" though.

20. DaDakota

It is positive only, which makes sense....negative can be too personal and people can be petty.

:D

You're welcome !

I hope DM can get what he says done.

In Morey we trust.

DD

1 person likes this.