1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Nokia Lumia 920/820 Thread - Windows Phone 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amel, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

It is no different than how Windows works. If you have a Word document open and in the background, you don't go back to the desktop and open word again because it won't take you back to where you previously were.

You go to the task bar and select the instance of Word you already had open.

EDIT - Having it go back to your previous place every time you clicked the icon to open it would REMOVE functionality as you'd have no way to open a fresh instance without killing the app first. Right now you can open a fresh instance of the app, or go back to where you were. In your world, you only get 1 choice, I'd much rather have 2.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

why doesn't facebook haven an official app for wp8? why did microsoft have to do it themselves?

3. Svpernaut

Microsoft owns a big chunk of Facebook (1.6%), so it just made sense. Microsoft develops lots of apps and games they want to see on the platform.

EDIT - FYI, the Facebook app released by Microsoft is the official app.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

They talked about this on one of my podcasts. In an effort to push out feature apps a lot of apps are co-developed with Microsoft personnel. That's why a lot of apps are under the Microsoft brand even if they aren't Microsoft apps. Look at Angry Birds as an example. Microsoft worked with Rovio to just get the stupid app out to the masses.

5. Svpernaut

The driving force behind all of this was Brandon Watson and his team. Brandon has since left to head up development on Amazon Kindle, but Microsoft's aggressiveness remains. Watson was famous for openly challenging Dilbert author Scott Adams to try Windows Phone.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Any way to get gmails in thread format instead of individual emails?

7. Svpernaut

Mine thread just fine. I'd try removing the account and re-adding it.

EDIT - Screenshot of mine.

#127 Svpernaut, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  8. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Never gonna happen. Apple is all about keeping an extremely lean supply chain. Less colors/variation = more profit.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

That and the old apple mantra of you're looking at it wrong. They don't want you to have color. Black and White are colors...

10. Svpernaut

I do however run a website called Microsoft Fanboys after all :p

I've been championing Windows Phone since before it's launch and have converted many, many people. I truly believe it is a most intuitive design and the best mobile platform out there. To this day I've converted about 25 family and friends to Windows Phone, and only one person has regretted it... and it was because he's a Siri w****.

Microsoft does want those apps, but mostly to win new customers. However, they don't believe apps are what makes their platform special, they think it is because it puts people first. They truly buy in to their ad campaign.

I don't use very many apps on my phone to be honest. I have probably 80 apps and games installed, yet I only use 4-5 every day. When I had an iPhone and Android this was different, but the Phone itself does mostly what I do. Including messaging, social network updates, checking in on friends/family, email, etc. I think most people are this way as well, they just don't know it because they use devices that require they use 10+ apps a day to get stuff done.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Apparently there is a movement brewing to make fast app resume from the tile a feature of Windows Phone 8. I saw this over in xda:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1967720

BTW, I saw your interview on the BBC about the Surface. I think you had that apple guy on the ropes, but I think if time permitted you could have gone for the jugular. The one question I had was why didn't you ask him why Apple has so effectively communicated that the iPad cannot run OSX apps, but for some dumbass reason he thinks Microsoft cannot communicate that the surface will only run apps native to RT? If anything, when you add that to the fact that the Surface is still in limited distribution it can easily be communicated to customers before they buy a Surface that it is exactly like an iPad in that it can only run it's own apps, and not Windows 8 (or sadly Windows Phone) apps. Heck, the beauty of Windows 8 x86/x64 in general is that you can run your tablet apps as well as your legacy apps. How many apple fanboys would cream their corn if they knew all (or most) of their iPad apps could on their MBA? I think the media focuses on the negative of RT instead of the positive of Win8.

12. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

So, I'm not getting a Lumia, but I just got confirmation from work that my new 8X will arrive tomorrow! I'm stoked! I've been using a Samsung Focus 2 and it got me really into Windows Phone, but I'm definitely ready for WP8!

13. Svpernaut

Thanks for the feedback. That interview was a whirlwind, it was at 6:00AM local time and they literally got me on the moment they threw it to me so I didn't hear the entire introduction. It was via Skype and there were connection issues, and I couldn't see them I was just staring at a BBC Skype Logo. I had no clue what it looked or sounded like until hours later when I saw it online. A BBC producer contacted me via Twitter from my website about 18 hours before the interview. There are a couple of things I would have said differently, but all in all I think it went well.

The HTX 8X can hold it's own against the Lumia 920... it is VERY nice.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

BUMP

Last night I updated to Windows 8.1 on my Lumia 920. Looks ok. I have Cortana now, though I don't know if I'll ever use it. Anyone else on Windows Phone 8.1? Have any good or bad feedback?

15. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

iOS master race!

16. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I have a Moto X and a Lumia 925 on AT&T with 8.1 developer preview.

I like it, a lot. It even has some features similar to Google Now where you can assign sports teams and get updates from them.

Quiet hours is cool too