1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Fat Shaming Doesn't Motivate People to Lose Weight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 11, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obesity has been a topic that has come up frequently in Hangout and there have been some posts saying that fat should be shamed to encourage them to lose weight. A new study shows that that doesn't work and could lead to increasing weight.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health...-motivate-obese-people-to-lose-weight-study-1

'Fat shaming' doesn't motivate obese people to lose weight: Study

(HealthDay News) -- Discrimination against overweight or obese people, commonly known as "fat shaming," does not help them lose weight and may do more harm than good, according to research from London.

Being harassed or treated with disrespect, receiving poor service while shopping or being thought of as stupid may actually lead to more weight gain, the researchers found.

"Our study clearly shows that weight discrimination is part of the obesity problem and not the solution," said the study's senior author, Jane Wardle, director of the Cancer Research UK Health Behaviour Centre at University College London (UCL).

"Weight bias has been documented not only among the general public but also among health professionals, and many obese patients report being treated disrespectfully by doctors because of their weight. Everyone, including doctors, should stop blaming and shaming people for their weight and offer support, and where appropriate, treatment," Wardle added in a university news release.

The study, scheduled for publication in the journal Obesity, involved data from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing, which tracked nearly 3,000 adults aged 50 or older. The participants were followed over the course of four years. During that time, they were asked if they felt they were discriminated against because of their weight, age, gender or race.

Five percent reported weight discrimination, ranging from less than 1 percent of those in the "normal weight" category to 36 percent of those classified as "morbidly obese," the researchers reported. And those who experienced fat shaming gained more weight than those who didn't.

Even after taking differences among the participants into account, weight discrimination was associated with a weight gain of roughly 2 pounds. The researchers added that those not "shamed" lost about 1.5 pounds.

Although the authors noted that their research was a population study and not an experiment, which makes the connection only observational and does not prove cause-and-effect, they concluded that fat shaming only makes the battle against obesity harder to win.

"There is no justification for discriminating against people because of their weight," the study's lead author, Dr. Sarah Jackson with UCL epidemiology & public health, said in the news release.

"Previous studies have found that people who experience discrimination report comfort eating," she added. "Stress responses to discrimination can increase appetite, particularly for unhealthy, energy-dense food. Weight discrimination has also been shown to make people feel less confident about taking part in physical activity, so they tend to avoid it."

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Can't shame obese people for too long because they simply don't live that long. It's sad what this country is becoming.

Fast food
    No travel unless it is to Vegas to sit on there ass and play slots and gorge on buffets
    Watch tv and play games
    Drive around in a parking lot for 5 minutes to try and get a good spot so you don't have to walk an extra 75 feet to the store

Blah blah blah

How is that for shaming

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

In the South, I often come across skinny shaming more than fat shaming. Any girl who seems to be thin is often ridiculed as being anorexic and needs to "eat a burger." I don't see this much elsewhere, but have seen this comment being made often over here. Sad state of times we are in.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Being fat is the latest fashion. I'm stylin.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It is OK to call someone too skinny at work but not too fat.

And of course far shaming doesn't work. Losing weight isn't easy and I have no doubt most overweight people try.

6. conquistador#11

apparently tapeworms do the motivating,

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Does it motivate people to stay skinny?

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who thought that it did motivate in the first place?

9. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

good genes

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Fear of being fat?

Yeah.....I'd think so if it causes them to watch what they eat, and exercise.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This guy, I think. :confused:

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Calling people jackass generally doesn't make them try to be more likable either.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

No shaming from me... I kind of fancy them BBW.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The older I get the more I am convinced that you can't externally motivate people period. They either have the internal motivation and drive to do what they should or they don't.

What's ironic in society is people are extremely paranoid about contracting diseases they have almost zero chance of coming in contact with. SARS, West Nile Virus, Ebola is the latest I guess...but the diseases that will kill them like heart disease, cancer, and diabetes that are mostly preventable they tend to just be like meh I'm not changing my lifestyle. YOLO:rolleyes:

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Instead of shaming fat people, we should make them wear gold stars on their shirts to make them easily identifiable as fat. So we can treat them with extra love and respect.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Pretty much agree with everything youve said. I simply do not see overweight people living a healthy lifestyle. There is an entitlement mentality in that if other people are eating not so healthy food, they should be allowed to enjoy it too. There are a small percentage of people who indeed have legit health issues. Then there are those with slow metabolisms that do not adjust their diet accordingly.

17. 713

713 Member

What happened to all the Best Ass/Face/t*tties threads? I come back and there all gone. :confused:

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Fat acceptance doesn't help either

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's really not the point of fat shaming, it's more the tax for being able to get bacon doubles and a strawberry shake at 2 in the morning on every third street in a major city or a decent philly cheese steak in every mall food court in America; to say nothing of the miracle of online pizza ordering.

One think that confounds me* and probably a lot of other fat people is food shaming: "I've been good all week so I can eat cake." No, I can eat it because it exists, and I have a mouth.

*Which admittedly and obviously betrays a lack of self-discipline.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Except for every single minute of their life before high school graduation.