1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I believe in James Harden.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

First off: let me make it clear that I am in no way happy with how Harden has played this season. No one, and I mean NO ONE; is above criticism.

At times he has been pathetic and utterly underwhelming.

That encouraging improvement in Defense we saw last season has vanquished. The ever efficient exterior has suddenly reverted to a twisted wannabe imitation of Iverson, prone to boneheaded turnovers and mental lapses the width of the Grand Canyon.

It's been terribly disappointing, and yet, despite all this, we are just a hairs whisper from reaching that fifth seed.

It is fair to say that a lot of fans have lost hope in Harden. And for those who have: that's okay. The beards play has been so lackadaisical that I more than understand this view point. He has been terrible. But despite all of this:

I believe in James Harden.

Perhaps I am a fool. And that's okay too, feel free to bump this thread in the future and throw shade at me, I will take it.

I'm not going to spew the same rhetoric that many supporters of Harden have this season, as everyone here knows what those arguments are. Some of them are feasible, some of them aren't.

Perhaps Harden is destined to be another Vince Carter or Tracy McGrady, who are special players in their own right. But I believe that one day (and one day soon) Harden will wake up and look into the mirror. Contrary to what many say, he can't be happy with his performance this season.

I believe that once the novelty of his shoe deal and the bright lights of fame fade, he will realise how far removed from winning he is. When he realises that dropping 40 points a night doesn't matter, and playing winning basketball does on increased individual efficiency does (that includes a greater devotion to leadership and defense); he will become the best player he will be.

It's possible this never happens, history is littered with brilliance that never matured. Some may think that Harden spends seldom time reflecting or is not particularly smart, but one only needs to watch his face to know there's more than meets the eye. There is a lot of thinking going on inside that head. You can see it in his eyes.

If I am wrong, that's okay. Call me out, throw the shade. I am a rockets fan first and foremost, but I still believe Harden can be that guy.

And for the fans who have given up for him, there is nothing wrong with you. You are just as much rockets fans as me or the next guy, and when the light bulb comes on inside Harden's head, we will welcome you back with open arms.

Go Rockets.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he becomes Clyde Drexler

3. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

Good post.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Love is the answer. I believe in James Harden. He has always been the type to shock you when you expect it least. Now is that time. He still doesn't know how to be a winner when expectations weigh heavily, but this he can do. This is Harden's game. In college. Off the bench. As a starter. As a star. He loves being the underdog.

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Then you will sink with him.

The question is: do the Rockets still believe in him to lead the team into contention in the coming years?

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Kind of have to when we know we're stuck with him for at least a little bit longer.

This won't be our season though. Got to start over completely and starts in the off season.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I believed in Jordan and the promised land

8. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="480" height="260" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cdUWPXX2qCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

As soon as Harden stops being a "me first" player this team will take off.

10. dmorey

dmorey Member

his dick needs to be cut off
    so he can concentrate on basketball
    instead of chasing p***y

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Was cold blooded in the clutch last year, which is why it makes me even angrier that getting paid by adidas means he can slack off and disrespect the game/us fans.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Dammit, these things don't work. We need a Harden is done as an elite player thread.

13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This.

14. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Good to see a Harden nut-hugger acknowledge his deficiencies. At least you are honest in saying that he has been terrible and not pulled up cherry picked stats to hide his poor play.

As a Rockets fan, you are well entitled to believe although it might just be blind faith right now.

15. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

thanks Gumbleton, but I'm not a Harden nut hugger.

Howard has really turned things up. Thornton has been huge for us. Time for Harden to join the party, as he's been poor all season. He will get there in the end

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We have to. 26 years old coming off what he did last year, with no obvious injury hampering him this year. We are tied to him for better or worse until his contract expires in 2018, hopefully longer if he can break out of his 2015-2016 slump. I.e. break up with Kardashian.

17. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

OP, respect your optimism for Harden, but you usually post like you're his personal PR rep. Harden doesn't need anymore coddling. He needs a stern hand if he is to turn the corner as a leader. It just appears however he is not a good leader. A good leader does not come into this year with the mentality Harden did. He got the big shoe deal coming off of an MVP caliber season and stop striving to be the player this team needs him to be. He's carried himself like a real chump instead of a championship level leader this year, that's why this fan base has turned on him hard.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

I believe in Vernon Maxwell and players who contribute to Clutch City

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

It's just the way I write. It's been getting pretty overwhelming on here this season (with good reason though), so I thought a positive thread couldn't hurt.

I agree he doesn't need to be coddled. He needs tough love ASAP. Someone that will be on his ass but lift him up at the same time. I'm not sure who that is, but JB isn't that guy.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if that's a haiku it's too many syllables :cool: