1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Synthetic Diamonds vs Natural Diamonds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Does anyone have any experience with synthetic diamonds.

I'd like to get my gf a ring, and while I'm the traditionalist, she tends to enjoy the beauty in things as opposed to the value.

I've bought her a modest sized diamond ring, and she does appreciate it, but I've read that Synthetic diamonds almost identical to natural.

Not Cubic Zirconia. As I understand it, synthetic is a higher quality, but I'd like some first hand feedback on it.

I'm not looking for advice, but I am looking for experienced feedback...

and for the record, I'm no expert in rings, diamonds, or jewelry.

So please, if you've seen or purchased these synthetic diamonds, can you tell me if they are as nice as I've read?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I haven't bought one myself, but do know about them.

Lab created diamonds will save you about 25-30% vs. real diamonds.

Moissanite will save you more.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't know much about them, but did learn quite a bit about the real ones.

Just received the ring set, VVS Diamond.....popping the big question this weekend.
    :)

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why not just get her a pencil lead with glitter sparkled on it?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Awesome congrats -- let us know if he says yes!

1 person likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Diamonds have very little intrinsic value. They only cost a lot because the debeers have a monopoly and have perpetuated civil wars in areas that produce diamonds. That being said, get something that she would like. Unfortunately, diamonds are a symbol of how much you think they are worth.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I won't buy real diamonds because of the blood diamond industry. I have morals. Synthetic or Moissanite only.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

After my wife's wedding ring got stolen, we replaced it with moissanite.

We were robbed in our house, but my proposition is why would you wear anything out in public that attracts criminals, be it a diamond or Air Jordans? Why would you expose anything expensive?

My wife is very level headed and not concerned with conventional traditions or impressing others, but I think she is rare. I think most girls who dream about romance the way boys dream about sex might feel differently. I think just sliding a moissanite ring by without discussion would make her feel betrayed if she found out later.

But diamonds have a false value crated by massive advertising and a world wide cartel controlling their supply. If your girl understands that, she's a keeper.

9. Falcons Talon

Oh, they're definitely more cost efficient, but I'm asking about the quality.

10. Falcons Talon

That's awesome. Congratulations! Just don't stop traffic for the proposal!

11. Falcons Talon

http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/diamond-de-beers-marketing-campaign

I used to be the romantic traditionalist, but in my age, have come to question why I would pay such a price for a stone that can be lab grown and has the exact same look, properties, and serves no other function than to look pretty, and can use the money saved to take her on a trip.

12. Falcons Talon

I've definitely got a keeper. I don't think she will ever have it appraised, but I will tell her its a man made diamond, especially since the money I saved is getting us 4 days on the Riverwalk. She loves the Riverwalk at Christmas.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

No one but a jeweler can tell the difference between Moissanite and a natural diamond. They are both shiny rocks. Qualitatively, I don't think 90% of people could tell the difference between a 1 carat diamond that costs 20 grand and one that cost 3 grand; or a moissanite that costs 1 grand.

I think the diamond, gold and silver traditions of weddings date back to giving the bride some financial security in the event things go bad. They can be converted to cash.

14. Falcons Talon

Well, the synthetic stone is a 1.0 ct princess cut/ GH color / Stone Clear: VVS1 and the ring is 925 sterling platinum plated.. She prefers silver/white gold.

I should get it Friday. Hope it's as nice as I think.

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From a geological perspective the main difference between a real and synthetic is that the synthetic is more perfectly formed. Natural will always have some kind of heterogenous quality.

16. Asian Sensation

It really doesn't matter what you get her... Only if you shut down I45 to propose.