1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question About Child Prodigies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tree-Mac, May 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

I got this information from some website. Not sure how true they are:

Kim Ung-Yong -- entered college at age 4 and received his doctorate at age 15.

Akrit Jaswal: Performed surgery on some 8 year-old when he was only 7.

So supposedly 12 years of traditional education is soaked into this kid (Yong) when he was only 4?! I mean, where did he find the time to do all this learning?! :confused:

And how does a 7 year old get past all the medical training to do some surgery?! :confused:

2. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, it's a stunt. And sometimes, they have the capability to learn that stuff very quickly but haven't yet.

3. J-Mac

J-Mac Member

It's quite possible.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

If you noticed those kids are both foreign. In America we are forced to learn a lot of stuff that we will not end up using in our field of study. Why would doctors need to know British literature? Or why would engineering majors need to know geography. We are forced to learn a lot more than is needed in American schools, especially high school.

What I'm getting as is I have interned for two ophthalmologist in the past two summers and it is not hard to do some of the work they do. Especially the tests they perform and the diagnoses they do. I have seen them perform surgery and it is not that hard either with all this advanced technology we have.

What is hard is learning how to become a doctor. For example having to take all those advanced calculus, physics, and biology courses to take the ridiculously hard Mcat. Becoming a doctor is the hard part, not the actual work a doctor does. The reason behind this is also because you want the most experienced and knowledgeable people performing on you, but in all honesty you can train most people how to become a doctor and forgo all the studying, but most people can't do the necessary work to become one.

But yeah those people are freaks, I was learning how to chew gum and walk at the age of 4, not advanced calculus.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It is probably there to weed out the lazy people. There are a lot of smart people in the world, but some people just won't put in the work.

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

A good friend of my brothers finished med school when he was 23. Not a child prodigie, but that's still great. He was 15 when he started university. His two sister's were even smarter than him....

7. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

responding to parental pressure

8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me guess...he went to TAMS (Texas Acad. of Math and Sci)? Anyway, there was one guy from my class that goes to Duke's Med School right now. He'll be 21 when he's done with it. Another guy I know just turned 20 and is about to graduate from pharmacy school right now. And I thought I was finishing up graduate school young...

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

When I was in medical school a few years back, a classmate of mine was 15 years old. That means he started under grad university at age 11 or 12. Boy, was this kid bright though. He finished in the top of his class and is in a top notch residency right now to become a Neuro surgeon at age 19. He was an Indian kid of Canadian origin.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I hope all of these prodigies actually contribute something to science, medicine, or their respective field of study.

I mean, if a kid is playing chess and reading/speaking four languages by the time he is 3 years old, what has he done since then?

11. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

No, he went to University of Toronto for Med school ....his sisters went to Harvard and John Hopkins....I don't know the age they finished Med school, but he was the dummy in the family :p

My brothers friend was obviously a smart guy, BUT him and his sisters were pushed really hard by their parents, the guy you mentioned appears to be a natural genius.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I bet they will still have to use cars.com...

13. droxford

droxford Member

I'd prefer that my kids enjoy being children.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I could've done that, but damn beer tastes good.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

These kids did... while in the womb... they've moved on. :D

Check out a kid named Ainan Cawley. I saw a documentary on prodigies on one of them lurnin' channels, and he just blew me away. Here's a link from when he was 6 : http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/11/prweb480311.htm.

On the same documentary was a girl named Akiane. She's a kid that paints some incredible stuff (well, to me they're incredible, anyway). She also sells them for a nice sum and has been able to buy her parents a really nice house. :D

Here's her site :

http://www.akiane.com/

Here're some of her works (the age at which she did them is also listed) :

http://www.akiane.com/akiane_art.htm

Here's a painting of her little brother that she did that I think is awesome :

http://www.akiane.com/paintings/age_13/age13_12-det.htm

16. dback816

dback816 Member

Teaching "useless" things?

You can't seriously think American schools are unique in that aspect........

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Fellas, I'm surprised at you. There are strings on this puppet show. Everyone knows the real source.....

[​IMG]

18. myotuneric

myotuneric Member

I think the real question is ... did he/she survive?

19. esteban

esteban Member

I was able to isolate that pariticular protein in the A/N1H1 virus and came up with the vaccine this morning.

BTW: I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night!

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am a child prodigy. What do you want to know?