1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"No Layups" NBA/Rockets Radio Show, Mondays at 9pm

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Puff, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Puff

Puff Member

last point on this...
    no one on the show is predicting the Rockets demise...

The question was asked, what do you do? What do you do if the Rockets are 8-20?

That is a question ALL Great organizations asks. If you dont ask questions, you will never be prepared.

Would it surprise me for the Rockets to win 48 games? No I predicted that. But if the Rockets struggle, as they did early on, the question can be asked.

2. RX2012

RX2012 Member

not a blind fan, i know what i see. i look into the nba everyday. and I'm just as objective as you. Except i know that all the information that's been given so far isn't accurate and skewed because of scheduling and injuries.

3. RX2012

RX2012 Member

and puff, i think the show in general is great. it's just the last one I couldn't handle.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We'll be on tonight at 9pm. Nuño is on vacation but I'll be on with Raheel and Danny. If you want to talk about anything specific, would love to have you call in. Thanks...

5. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

thanks for the heads up

6. worzel gummidge

The Nash rumor!

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Any pod cast?

DD

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There is no Nash rumor, just idle speculation. More's the pity... ;)

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clutch on this morning with Lance.

Carmelo/Granger talk starts at 5:45.<div><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="210" height="25" id="mp3playerlightsmallv3" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerlightsmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://thegame.podbean.com/mf/play/gdf68t/DaveHardisty12-27.mp3&autoStart=no" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed src="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerlightsmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://thegame.podbean.com/mf/play/gdf68t/DaveHardisty12-27.mp3&autoStart=no" quality="high" width="210" height="25" name="mp3playerlightsmallv3" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed></object></div>

Before we go year in review, lets talk about now. I dont think it matters Yao has been ruled out. They got used to playing without him. Doesnt affect what they're doing.

Yeah, short term it helps the team. Didnt click early. They needed him on D long-term for the playoffs but akward fit early on. They like to run, shoot, pass, move quickly. Wasnt best fit for Yao.

Brooks coming back in. Lowry playing better. Rockets finally meshing. Saw this with Miami. It takes time. Heat playing well. But Rockets feel like they're comfortable now. With addition of Brooks, it will help.

Yeah, they're saying all the right things. Saying it's a positive. They seem ready to put Kyle back to the bench if needed. Tough decision though. Lowry took the reigns and has put up some good numbers. IMpressive is his 3 pt shooting. Right now, is it a fluke or real improvement? If improvement, he needs to be starting.

I look for dynamic players. Tracy obviously once was. Martin would fall under that. Terrence Williams is another guy I think that is or could be. What might it take for him to get into the rotation?

You're right. Surprised a little he isnt in the rotation. But Rockets logic might be, NBA playing time is earned. They're not in a rush to make that decision. Williams has a lot to learn but talent is there. This guy can do some things on O and D. No reason to panic. After trade deadline, maybe then you can panic if he's not in rotation.

Rockets gearing up. Becoming more and more obvious. Bosh never considered the Rockets. Set-up deal. Now with all these pieces, no one is out there to "buy". Thoughts on how they might transition all these trade pieces. Any prayer they move Yao?

Before TD, that is interesting. Paul and ANthony guys were in mind but I think they're out of Carmelo sweepstakes. Cant trade 2011 pick. Out of Carmelo. Have to throw in Danny Granger as darkhorse. Thats a name getting flirted around. I dont think they will trade Yao. He means too much.

Year in review - 2010. You can say what you want not being able to get past 1st round. Thoughts on 2010 and how they changed or perception has changed.

2010 will be remembered as Yao-McGrady era. Final brick fall if you will. Hung over our heads for four years. Going back to 06, we were concerned about injury with these guys. 4 years hung over us with injuries. Right now, we are realizing how spoiled we were with having a franchise guy. We dont have that right now. 36-42 for calender year I think. Just a bunch of scrappy role guys.

Moves of 2010, Rockets brought and then traded Trevor Ariza. Just a passenger. Poor man version of Pippen. In and out. Other move was Martin.

Ariza - he was a decent player for Rockets. Overrated coming from LA and championship squad. I like the Lee move. On 2 levels, an upgrade. Helped on salary and on the court. Lee can score effeciently. Martin can still be one of the better deals in franchise history. You trade a broke down McGrady for Martin. You traded Landry for Hill. Hill not as good but has more upside, better size than Landry. And then the draft pick considerations that also came.

Rockets 2010 also been where people have been challenged with Daryl Morey. Me not so much. Daryl is taking shots, trying to make things happen. Where do you sense the public is with Morey and what people think of Rick Adelman.

Some fans questioning Daryl. I'm not one of them. He is outstanding. Doing things behind the scene to increase the value of this franchise. You look at the D-league and what they did there. There is no GM out there who will magically bring you that superstar. They need that opportunity. As for Adelman, happy with him. Good coach. Wonder what will happen after this year. He came here to be part of Yao-McGrady era and right now, that is gone. I wonder if hes in for the long term rebuild/retool.

Bob McNair may settle for mediocrity, Les will not. He will make changes if losing.

Yeah. Without Yao, a lot to ask but Rick a high dollar, high profile coach. This will be a different team going forward. Not sure of the fit if rebuilding.

Texans season winding down. Rockets giving reason to turn the TV on to basketball. Honestly, faster Brooks and WIlliams are in the rotation, fans will tune in and want to watch..

Yeah. January will determine which direction they will go at the TD. December pretty easy.

Thanks for joining us.

Thanks Lance.

2 people like this.
  10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Interesting, last time Clutch brought up a name that most thought was not tradable...his name was Kevin Martin.

#90 rockets934life, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks for the time fellas, had to bail to put kiddos to bed.

Always great to talk Rox with Clutch, Nuno, and who is the new guy?

I do still like Raheel though.....

;)

DD

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Will post podcast if/when they do

I dont think they're really trying to trade Yao. But today, Rosas, didnt shy away from it. Doing due dilligence. Nobody untradeable but probably dont want to trade him.

What Rosas said, is what is there in general. Not really shopping him but fielding calls. Does surprise me that the Rockets would part ways with him if they thought he could play again

Why does that surprise you?

I agree. Smart on-court decision. I operated under the assumption that Les would not part with Yao if he could play. Not sure if thats the case but shock in that regard.

Team like Sacramento would make it ok to me. He wouldnt re-sign there.

Thats the way I feel to. Credit to Yahoo. But in this instance, I was questioning some parts. Teams re-signing on the cheap. Yao can go where ever he wants. He loves HOuston. Hard time believing that.

Who could Sacramento give the Rockets?

Dont think they would give up Cousins.

Maybe guys Udrih, Garcia they could throw in.

Who or what are Rockets looking for?

They need a C. Not sure they say they absolutely need a C but...Team I look at is Indiana. 2nd or 3rd worst in attendence. Granger comes to mind. Hes not a need, need a C but maybe a C isnt available. They're looking for great value if they'll move Yao.

You thought the Rockets were floating out an idea. Explain that.

It was speculation on my part. I read that Y! report. It reads like an advertisment by the Rockets. Looked like leaked by Rockets. Ive told this story before. Rockets had a deal to send Hakeem for #5, #12 pick, Christie and Willis. They had to rebuild. They knew this was a chance to rebuild but were concerned about backlash. Whether they leaked it or not, it got out there. When it was negative feedback, they pulled back. Seems similar here with Yao.

How much backlash would there be? Dont think fans would be pissed. THey'll get something for him in return if they do move him.

Certainly not on the Hakeem level. He brought 2 championships. Where Yao differs, he is a global icon. My speculation - if they float it out there, its preparation for the possibility.

Possible they know Yao is done? Maybe Yao knows too.

Definitely a theory. For Yao's name to get out there, as good as Woj is, Yao had to know before hand. They had to have his consent. There is a mutual understanding. Either he knows hes done or he wants to help Rockets.

Fringe benefits - what are they now a days?And what about Steve Francis in China. Total of 14 minutes

For his teammates or the Rockets? .

I talked with others about Rockets, and blown away how skinny he looks. He lost weight. As for Yao, isnt as big as impact as before. Rockets did benefit early in his career. That has been downplayed or has gone down. If Yao comes back, thats another story or connection to China. Certainly not the same as it used to be.

There is something behind this whole thing - talking about Yao -. Could be one of your theories. Whatever it is, there is more to the story.

Definitely. Yao was at the game but didnt talk to media. There is no way the Rockets have their hand caught in the cookie jar. They knew this was coming out. They probably talked to Yao. Everyone knew what happened. I agree with you. They know something we dont.

[Caller]: What is their thinking on Chase? Never seen a guy lose confidence like this. One thing to be in a slump but this guy looks scared. Thoughts on him and how long do they go with him?

His confidence is shot. Better player than shown. Shot has abandoned him. He has gone south. I think he'll be traded. Whispers say he is on the block. Anyone could be traded though. One guy I think who will be dealt.

They're in a rebuild/reload move - what to do with Adelman? Is he going to stick around? I dont see him sticking around for rebuilding.

Certainly. He came here to be that guy to take Yao/T-Mac to title. He said he wanted to be in right situation and that was here. HOF coach you bring in for a championship. At the same time, he stuck with the Kings.

Rick was Daryl's first hire. Clyde's hire I think. Daryl has come a long way. When he first started, stage fright perhaps but now knows hes the real deal. Was Rick his guy?

I think so. I think he liked him. Daryl wanted to keep JVG but issues other places.

I dont think Rockets going back to rebuilding - they wont ever use that word. Dont think they'll be at that level. Patterson, Williams, others and say we're gonna roll with these guys.

Assuming thats what your saying, he's going the Boston rout, unless your going to gut your team, is it chasing a last minute thing like Garnett? What are they looking for? Young or old superstar?

Medium. Granger would be medium.

Boston rebuilding was crazy. They got 2 great players in Allen and Garnett along with Pierce. Went from worst to best. Extreme example there with Boston. They're proceeding with re-tooling. They have 3 levels of talent - starters, and then guys you bring up to big show, and the D league guys. They're waiting for right opportunity.

Tough because...unless they make a trade, not gonna sustain long term success. Makes it remarkable what Dallas has done with Dirk. Have remained top 2-3 year after year.

Winning streaks collide tomorrow. Heat tough D. Looking forward to it. Rockets playing better of late.

When Lowry goes, Rockets go. Its the way the team runs. He's a tough PG, very aggressive. Amazed he....hes not a half court guy. Hes fearless. Throws his body at you. Whats amazed me is his 3 pt shooting. Is shooting lights out. Never really had success from long range. When hitting 40%, its not a contest. He should be starting over Aaron Brooks.

Interested to see what happens with Patterson and Williams. Team is back at .500 but 2 guys - what else to prove in the NBDL? I'd like to see them get some minutes.

Yeah, they're lottery picks. They need some playing time.

Chase not helping his value out.

Yeah. Jeffries gonna get moved. They need a 2-1 or 3-1 deal. Lets hope that opportunity arises. There are enough teams cash strapped.

How hilarious was the LeBron contraction thing.

Ridiculous

Idiot. A dork. Not a LeBron guy.

He cant do right.

Thanks for having me on.

2 people like this.
  13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I tried to actually listen tonight for once, but the link to "listen live" wasn't working. Thanks for the recap as always, hsf

14. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

The recap is much appreciated. I tried to listen to the podcast, but apparently that's not working at the moment.

15. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Thanks for the recap.