1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Morey should be fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Apr 19, 2012.

?

Should Morey be fired

1. Yes

364 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. No

821 vote(s)
    69.3%
  1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Simple Yes or No Question. I understand he's "following" orders and using his moneyball philosophy to make sure they get a bang for the buck and not suck but this is stuck in no man's land 3rd year in a row. Reality is 1st round exit even if they make it to the post season over the red hot Utah Jazz.

Each of the last 2 years should've shown him that this team doesn't have the talent to be a real threat in the West..they just beat teams that dont take the Rockets seriously and beat good teams when they're napping. But late in the season when every team comes to play and are mentally sharp to finish out the season they can't buy a win. Its fools gold of a team thats been constructed. Shouldn't he have learned his lesson from the last 2 years and convinced the ownership to go a different direction, instead they stuck with the same philosophy and are gonna be stuck in no man's land 1 more years. These last 3 years have probably set the Rockets back another half a decade.

1 person likes this.
  2. underrated015

underrated015 Member

hate saying it but yes.

3. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

17 out of 20 votes in favoring of firing him. Wow didn't expect the feeling to be this strong around here.

4. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

In morey we trust :rolleyes:

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not yet.

We know 2 things.

1. Les is the one who wants to rebuild without tanking.

2. When Morey has tried trading up, he mainly went hard after Rubio and Cousins, and both have turned out to be stars in the making. He also went after Jonas V last year, who went 5th, but many think this extra year of exposure would have made him the #1 or #2 pick this summer.

That tells me that Morey can pluck the right players at the top of the draft, if given the opportunity. So, what would be the point of firing Morey, just to have another guy come in and still try to win without tanking? The first thing that must happen is Les must approve traditional rebuilding. If that doesn't happen, God himself still wouldn't make it work. Once Les changes direction, you need someone who can draft the right talent, and again, Morey's shown he's had the right guys on his radar. So, why fire him, if Les approves sucking to get higher picks?

#5 RV6, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    2 people like this.
  6. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Every GM is always trying to improve team, they're always on the lookout to add players like Cousins or what not so he's not the only GM. Sealing the dealing and getting it done is another story

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

My goodness... you guys have lost your minds.

There are a lot of people that should take the blame for this collapse lately.... Daryl Morey is not even close to being one of them.

1 person likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You got it wrong. Those guys want Morey helping another franchise ... a franchise with an owner that is friendly to the idea of tanking

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

But every other rebuilding GM has their opportunity to find talent at a higher pick. It's not about trades, but what players he's got as his top targets. You could have the best and most accurate talent evaluator in the planet, but he's not going to do much for you, if he's stuck picking 14th. Neither Rubio or Cousins went top 3, Cousins fell out of the top 5 and Rubio just hung on. While other GMs dropped them on their list, Morey had them at the top. IIRC, Cousins was #1 on his list.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Why would you fire an employee who did exactly what you told him to do?

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I think there's blame to go around, but the owner's not going to fire himself so YES.

There are basically three ways to improve:

1. Draft
    2. Free Agency
    3. Trade

Morey has been a good drafter but he has been GM for years and keeps landing in a bad draft position. And with nothing to show for it but a shiny, gold, imaginary, 9th place trophy. If this is Les's fault, (a) the owner isn't going to blame himself, and (b) it's the GM's job to talk the owner out of bad ideas.

Maybe nobody could do a better job than Morey when it comes to attracting free agents to Houston, Texas in 2012, but you can't really argue anyone could do a worse job either.

Morey has been good at trading up. I give him props for this: I don't think we've really lost a trade in the long run since he's been GM. But, try as he might, he has been largely an incremental trader. Trading up baby step to baby step. It's too little, too late.

And we also find ourselves in a difficult situation with regard to our new coach, a coach that Morey had some hand in helping to select, after having had a hand in firing our last coach.

We're not about to sign a game-changing free agent. We're not about to make a game-changing trade. Our draft position will probably be 14 again.

And last year was the "let's change coaches" year. Only two years after the prior "let's change coaches" year. Whether or not they change coaches again this year, something's gotta give.

I really wish it would be Les but I don't think he's going to fire himself. I wish he would, I wish he would.

1 person likes this.
  12. ApuN

ApuN Member

Geeeez

Its really sad that so many Clutchfans don't know who writes the paychecks

Les has made it known he always wants to be "competitive" forcing Morey to "rebuild through mediocrity"

It just doesnt work that way.

Les' problem is the same problem Drayton McClane had-they don't have visions for a long term plan which means short term pain for long term gain

You cant blame this on Morey

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If we get the 14th pick and the 15th, then at least we can't say well what if we had Kawhi Leonard instead of Morris,... then we would have both.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Minnesota drafted Johnson over cousins and monro. Portland drafted Oden over Durant and Webster over cp3. Detroit drafted Darko over 3 all-stars. The Rockets once traded 3 first round picks for Eddie Griffin. The list of GMs who fail at drafting at the top of the lottery is a long one. In fact, GMs fail at drafting top 5 picks more often than they succeed

15. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

are the Rockets standards that low you're gonna compare them to the freakin Timberwolves? How sad is that?

16. Batman Jones

That's an easy one.

Because it didn't work.

17. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Just goes to show you that clutchfans have absolutely no idea. Morey fired.........you gotta be kidding me?!?! :confused:

18. Batman Jones

But you could on Rudy and CD? Or JVG? Or Adelman?

If you're the boss you can blame it on anybody. And Les is running out of anybodies to blame it on. You think he wants to have another year like this one? Think he thinks replacing McHale will be the difference?

I answered the poll wrong. I thought it asked "will Morey be fired," which I think he probably will be. "Should he?" Does it matter?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey is sacrifice..... GMs after GMs, Coaches after coaches..... Les gets old and tired, problem solved, Les goes

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

WTF!!! You people want to fire Morey after he has done everything to try and get a star here??? It is not his fault that stars love each other more than they love championships. I think that both Morey and Les have seen the light abd will go all in on a rebuild. Out with the old, in with the new.