1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryce and Brett are still on the board, Do we Bite?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IronTexan93, May 2, 2015.

?

Should the Texans draft Bryce Petty or Brett Hundley?

1. Yes, If they feel good about either one, get a trade done and grab them

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Yes, but preferably at our pick without having to trade

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. No, the team needs elsewhere should be addressed instead

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Simple question, do you believe at this point we should draft either Bryce Petty or Brett Hundley on Day 3 if the opportunity is there?

Personally, I don't think we need to because there are still some positions that should be addressed, but at the same time I would definitely not be opposed to the Texans drafting a QB. I do not think Savage's presence on the team should hinder them. If they find either of those guys to have good upside, go for it. Let Savage fight for his job if he wants it bad enough. Ideally however, I would like to try and avoid trading up for one of them, but rather just letting them fall to our pick.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It depends on what they think of Savage and his future. Doubt they give up on him after one season, unless they really like Hundley or Petty.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see why they would.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

They don't pick till near the end of the 5th. The players won't be there and not enough assets to move up. If they fall, maybe. But I doubt they'll last past the fourth round with the Bills, Cards, and Jets picking.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No. Like Petty but we already have Mallett and Hoyer fighting it out to start

6. awc713

awc713 Member

Although I do like Hundley and Petty more than Savage, you can't just take a project QB every year. Let's see if we can develop Savage. If not, there will always be Pettys and Hundleys to draft in future years.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This. 3 of our 4 remaining picks are compensatory selections, which you can't trade. Petty and Hundley aren't going to fall that far and we can't package picks together to move up even if we wanted to.

And if they did fall that far, who's the last 5th or 6th rounder who turned into a franchise QB? Tom Brady is really the lone exception. Nobody else has done squat unless you're impressed by Dan Orlovsky and Derek Anderson, and those are the best examples.

#7 Cannonball, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
  8. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I agree that taking a QB every year isn't very logical, but if i'm thinking upside, and the Texans feel they can get more upside out of a guy like Petty or Hundley as opposed to Savage, I don't see how it hurts to draft one of them if the opportunity presents itself.

I obviously don't know what upside the Texans see in Savage, but I'm not really a fan of it. Maybe if Savage looked and had the desire of a guy like Mettenberger, I would feel differently, but I don't get that type of vibe from him. Savage gives me a TJ Yates type of vibe. Maybe he can be good, maybe he can win us a playoff game, but does he have the desire to be "the guy". I don't feel it. I feel like he's just along for the ride, and if he starts, good for him, but if he doesn't, he won't be tripping over it. Actually, I don't even really know if he cares about even starting in general, let alone being the guy. What does Savage even wan't to prove?

Petty and Hundley seem to me like guys who wan't to prove the doubters wrong, and become successful starters in this league one day. I welcome that fiery competitiveness and I really think those type of traits should be quality characteristics of being a Texan. If this means Savage's status on the team is at jeopardy because we draft guys who actually wan't to compete, maybe that means he might not have been worth the pick we spent on him.

1 person likes this.
  9. conquistador#11

i'd pull the trigger. you never know.
    plus, we kill it with undrafted free agents, we can fill in depth from that pool.

savage and petty can compete for the third spot.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it's not like you can have a large stable of QBs to develop

there are only so many snaps in games and practice to go around

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sounds like a really bad country band

12. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Tell that to the Eagles. Plus, I know it's Cliche, but Tom Brady was 4th on the Pats depth chart entering the year he got drafted. It's possible to have four camp arms. Even if you don't intend to roll with four during the reg season, you can still bring in arms for competition during training camp. Also, the Texans were able to manage the splitting of reps for Fitz, Mallet, Savage, and Keenum at one point during the season.

13. Cannonball

Yeah, in camp. During the season, they didn't get Keenum back until after Fitz and Savage got injured (same game) and Fitz went on IR.

14. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/top_ten_QB_busts/giovanni_carmazzi.html?state=play
    Interesting piece on Giovanni Carmazzi. Savage could possibly be in this very same situation if we do add another QB, although granted Savage actually has minimal game experience.

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Fine with Mallet-Hoyer-Savage

16. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Agree. Tom Savage is like Matt Schaub except not as inspiring.

17. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Annnnnnd, this thread is almost pointless. Petty to the Jets.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The fact that mannion and Grayson were picked before them means...well a lot of teams might not like them. I don't think petty is good and hundley won't be anything special

19. Cannonball

It was pointless to begin with. Even if we wanted them, they're not going to fall to us and we're not allowed to trade 3 of our 4 remaining picks so we can't package them together to move up. And f*** me if we're going to start trading future assets for a guy who has a statistically miniscule chance of being a franchise QB

20. Cannonball

Grayson and Mannion played in pro style offenses in college (as did Savage). Transition to the NFL is going to be easier (mentally) than it is for Petty or Hundley. All other things being equal, team will prefer a pro style college QB.