1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon TV] Phillip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Part of a bigger article on Amazon's new shows.

Phillip K. Dick was one of the fathers of modern Sci-Fi. His more notable works were the stories that Blade Runner, Total Recall and Minority Report were based on.

Amazon Orders 5 Original Series Including ‘Man In The High Castle'

[​IMG]

uring Amazon Studios’ latest pilot season, The Man In The High Castle became the most-watched since the original series development program began. Amazon has now greenlit a full season of the drama from Frank Spotnitz. It has also picked up full seasons of hour-long dark comedy Mad Dogs, from Shawn Ryan; docu-series The New Yorker Presents; and kids shows Just Add Magic, and The Stinky & Dirty Show. The new series will premiere exclusively for Prime Instant members in the U.S., UK and Germany later this year and into 2016.

The newly picked up projects were part of Amazon’s first pilot season of 2015, which also included hourlong pilots Cocked from Samuel Baum and Sam Shaw and Point Of Honor from Carlton Cuse and Randall Wallace as well as half-hour pilots Down Dog from Robin Schiff and Salem Rogers from Will Graham and Lindsey Stoddart and kids pilots Buddy: Tech Detective, Sara Saves It, Table 58 and Niko and the Sward of Light. Of them, we hear only Salem Rogers remains in contention with an order for a second script.

The Man In The High Castle is based on Philip K. Dick’s alternative history novel in which Nazi Germany and Japan were the victors of World War II. Almost 20 years later, much of the globe has been split between the two countries. But tension is mounting for the Axis powers, and the stress is playing out in the U.S. where fascism rules and the few surviving Jews hide under assumed names. (Check out a clip below.)

The drama pilot starred Alexa Davalos (Mob City), Luke Kleintank (Pretty Little Liars), Rupert Evans (The Village), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Mortal Kombat Legacy), Joel De La Fuente (Hemlock Grove), Rufus Sewell (Eleventh Hour) and DJ Qualls (Z Nation). David Semel directed and exec produced with X-Files alum Spotnitz. Ridley Scott and David W. Zucker are also exec producers with co-executive producer Jordan Sheehan of Scott Free. Executive Producers for Headline Pictures are Stewart Mackinnon and Christian Baute. Isa Dick Hackett will also executive produce and Kalen Egan will co-executive produce on behalf of Electric Shepherd (the production arm of Dick’s estate). Christopher Tricarico is also executive producer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J_Y697LmYiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Sounds awesome. I love this type of storytelling, the "what-ifs".

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I read the book and remember liking it -- though that was a long time ago now.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

When does it start? I'm in.

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

The pilot is available through Amazon Prime. I just watched it. It was surprisingly loyal to the book.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

This show was bad ass. I hope it gets picked up. Watched it last week and purchased the book.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lol didn't read the article until now... Yay!

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UIDKPydxAFM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I just finished the pilot and thought it was great. Can't wait for more episodes.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

me to. ive told several people over the years that they would eventually make a movie from this book.

the premise was very interesting to me.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can't wait to see this, or as my significant other says, "More Dick!"

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

There's a Blade Runner link already. I know Deckard will catch it, anyone else get it?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's not a good thing, is it? :)

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I heard that once too. Now I have a frequent shopper card at Cindys.

#15 CCorn, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess it could be one's into multiple partners at the same time, which can be fun to watch. :)

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

New episode(s?) come out tomorrow. The first two have been really good, I've been fighting temptation to not read the source material.

18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I think you stayed away so far, I have faith you can last another day! ;) Great to finally get to see the rest of the series..

19. TheresTheDagger

REALLY want to watch this but have Netflix not Amazon Prime.

Any suggestions on other ways to watch?

Or should I consider reading the book instead?

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

The tv show is loosely based off the book, and honestly the book is meh. I actually liked the pilot much more than the book.