1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

George W. Bush

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MadMax, May 3, 2002.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://usatoday.com/news/washdc/2002/05/02/bush-poll.htm

Bush's rating not just wartime bounce

By Richard Benedetto, USA TODAY

There is more to President Bush's relatively high approval ratings than just the patriotic, rally-round-the-flag effect of his leadership in the war on terrorism, a new USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll suggests.

Built on the faith Americans showed in him following his response to terror attacks on Sept. 11, the poll shows that almost eight months later Bush has developed an image among most Americans as a strong, competent, leader who shares their values and has elevated respect for presidency.

Once seen by many as not quite up to the job, analysts say he has effectively used the groundswell of support that buoyed him after the attacks to earn high marks for his overall conduct in office and forge strong personal bonds with a broad majority of Americans.

"You've got to think this is more than just the normal bounce from the rally effect," says independent pollster Larry Hugick of Princeton Research Associates. "We have seen some slippage in Bush's approval after peaking in October, but his personal ratings are still quite high."

The poll suggests that Americans have taken a closer look at Bush since Sept. 11 and find that while they strongly approve of how he has led the country in response to the terrorist attacks, they also generally like him as a person and admire his character, regardless of whether they agree with him on the issues.

"Bush comes across as the average American — very warm, very sincere, very friendly. ... It's hard to dislike him," says Jaime Regalado, director of the Pat Brown Institute of Public Affairs at California State University at Los Angeles.

Or as Amy Muzzocchi, 35, a computer worker in Rosedale, Md. put it, "He turned out to be a lot better than I thought."

But whether Bush can translate that goodwill into political clout to advance his legislative agenda and elect Republicans to Congress in November remains a question mark.

Perceptions in Washington that his support is slipping — 90% in September to 77% now — have emboldened Democrats to criticize him and some conservative Republicans to balk at toeing the Bush line on issues such as the Middle East.

At the same time, the poll shows that Bush's political coattails may be short.

Seventy percent say Bush deserves re-election, but if the congressional elections were held today, voters favor Democrats over Republicans, 48%-44%.

"President Bush has done an excellent job in the war on terrorism, but on kitchen table issues such as health care and education, the public trusts Democrats," Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe.

Issues aside, more than three of four Americans continue to approve of the job Bush is doing, a high level of support rarely sustained over such a long period of time by previous presidents.

Only Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1942, the first year of World War II, and Kennedy in 1961, his first year in office, have maintained job approvals above 70% for longer than Bush has.

Analysts say that reservoir of personal confidence and trust could be a source of political strength if another terrorist attack occurs or he moves militarily against Iraq.

"In tough times, most American always give presidents they like and respect the benefit of the doubt," Emory University political scientist Merle Black says.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

<b>Or as Amy Muzzocchi, 35, a computer worker in Rosedale, Md. put it, "He turned out to be a lot better than I thought."</b>

That may just about sum it up. For a lot of people, expectations were EXTREMELY low. It's like a C student making an A-. The whole family is proud. But, if an A student makes an A-, everyone is disappointed.

Another key issue is the fact that there has been almost no domestic agenda to focus on. Nearly everything has revolved around foreign policy and war efforts, which is fine. But, the comment that America trusts Democrats more on domestic issues is telling. Given that fact, there is a good chance the Senate gets more Dems in seats this fall as will the House.

I doubt very seriously his approval ratings would be sky-high if 9/11 never happened.

Personally, I don't dislike the guy. I disagree with almost every policy he proposes with a few small exceptions, but he doesn't seem like a bad person for what it's worth.

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I just can't jump on the dubya bandwagon... nah gonna do it... I'd probably be OK with him being president if it wasn't for the Florida scandal and the fact that it was his brother's state in which this fiasco occurred.. there's something askew with this presidency and I don't like it...

[​IMG]

4. TraJ

TraJ Member

rockHEAD,

You never cease to amaze me, and it's not a good thing.

I'm ready for your knee-jerk response now.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

rH's knee jerk response...

weeeeelllll excuuuuuuuuse meeeeeee, traj..
    what are you, secret service?

Why do you hate America so much?

[​IMG]

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

George W. Bush seems like a nice guy. I'd love to talk baseball with him or drain a couple of brewskis with him. I do not agree with the majority of his policies however, and if he were running for President against Zippy the Pinhead, my vote would go to Zippy.

http://www.zippythepinhead.com/