1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Bears Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brandyon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I see you're not even bothering to read at this point, again, the innocent window punch, in context:
    This incident was described to Briles himself, the only issue is how innocuous the description was.

So I knew eventually we'd drop the "aw shucks, I'm just a regular guy and i don't see anything wrong here" act and launch into full on Sic'em Bears advocacy. It appears we are there.

No I am not alleging a massive multi-year explicit conspiracy among various institutions. You know as well as I do that I am not doing so, but painting your opposition as absurd via straw men is a good tactic (i know this tactic well, having used it myself many times)

I am alleging an institutional failure on multiple fronts in service of football, as has happened so many times before, and, take heart, will happen many times more.

These institutional failures consist of:

1. Briles and his staff either behaving negligently (in not investigating further) or recklessly (if you believe Boise) in bringing this guy into the fold in the first place.

This is not, and should not be the standard which we should hold him to, and other than the fact that he has a winning football team that you like, you would not tolerate this behavior in real life.

2. Briles and his staff continuously obfuscating the ongoing criminal investigation/charges/indictment/trial for a period of almost 2 years ("we expect him back in the fall)

This is not, and should not be the standard which we should hold him to, and other than the fact that he has a winning football team that you like, you would not tolerate this behavior in real life.

3. The university itself conducting a ridiculous sham of an investigation absolving him of all wrongdoing.

This is not, and should not be the standard which we should hold the university to, and other than the fact that they have a winning football team that you like, you would not tolerate this behavior in real life.

4. I can't speak much for the criminal investigation itself, other than that is alleged to have been seemingly a bit more pro-defendant than the usual case, because you know football. But I'll give you that.

All of these things above have a common theme - give Ukwuachu/Briles/Football/Athletics/Baylor a pass because Winning/I like them.

Is there anything criminal about the above acts? Probably not.

Is there anything dangerous about it? Obviously yes.

Is it a perversion of the core mission of Baylor University, not even considering the whole "holier than thou" deal? Obviously yes.

Is it going to change anythign? Obviously no. Look at Florida State or anywhere really.

Relax, nobody will remember this in a few months.

1 person likes this.
  2. SamFisher

This piece of paper is the Zapruder film in the collective Baylor defense consciousness.

Considering that the coach signed it to get him the hell out of Boise after his first incident/s, I'd say it's pretty damning in terms of his ability to stay there.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So you said it yourself again. Nobody will remember this in a couple of months.

"So Baylor is acting like any football first university now?"

4. SamFisher

And I forgot of course to mention the cherry on top of all this - the initial reaction by the Baylor faithful such as yourself to all of the above was "well yeah, it's hard for us to get top recruits"

No further comment necessary.

5. sammy

Good luck to your team, Sam.

Sic em!

6. Nook

Nook Member

Nothing special about Baylor other than overly high tuition for the quality/reputation of the school and of course the backwards social construct. Art Briles is a known liar.

7. sammy

Awesome post. Thanks for your input.

Our football team is better than yours though :)

You're a big Astros fan. Special thanks to Drayton again.

#427 sammy, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was not aware of the threatening texts or the verbal abuse. I would not welcome someone into the fold had I known that. Like you, I have no idea the extent to which Briles knew of that.

I'm not sure it's Sic 'em Bears advocacy to point out that the "cover up" you were alluding to was because of a gag order issued by a judge and agreed to by the prosecutor.

I'm not suggesting Baylor and especially the player should get a pass. The player is going away for 18 months. I'm shocked it's not more...it seems to me it should be. I made it clear that I think the university should have done more to get this guy counseling once they brought him in...and that it sure seems like the investigation was lazy.

9. Nook

Nook Member

They wanted to win football games and Briles was given latitude because they are winning football games. They made a choice, football above morals and now they are living with it. FWIW Baylor is not alone in making that choice, I suspect many universities would look the other way.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Isn't the president of Baylor, Kenneth Starr? The irony.

11. sammy

12. sammy

13. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

One week guys, cannot wait to actually play a game!

14. the shark

the shark Member

Came across this earlier this morning.

You know, the real evil perpetrated by Briles and the Baylor athletic department was keeping Ukwuachu's rape charge secret while simultaneously keeping him on campus with thousands of female Baylor students who had no warning that a sexual predator was on campus. This is the opposite of OU's Bob Stoops allowing DBG to transfer from Mizzou. The entire OU campus knew about DGB's history and so everyone was aware to keep an eye on him. Now, there's nothing wrong with a Christian school giving students second chances who have run afoul of the law, but only as long as the school does it in a transparent manner. In the case of Ukwuachu, the fact that his rape trial only became public knowledge a couple weeks ago suggests that Baylor officials, the local media who cover Baylor football, and Waco law enforcement did everything in their power to keep this case secret. It's disgusting. If I was the father of that girl, I'd be going scorched earth on that school and the people directly responsible. Anyway, the following comes from a poster on a Texas Tech message board:
    Art Briles was caught in a lie when he told media that he was completely unaware of Ukwuachu's violent past and dismissal from Boise State's program when he welcomed him to Baylor's program and campus. Was Briles also unaware of Mike Orakpo's violent history and dismissal from Colorado State's program when he welcomed him to Baylor's program and campus? Was he aware of Tevin Elliot's violent character when he welcomed him to Baylor's campus? (see Jan 2014 - conviction for violent, serial rapes).
    Was Briles aware of Daryl Stonum's three run-ins with the law (and two DUI convictions) when he welcomed him to Baylor's program and campus after being kicked out of Michigan's program? Was Briles aware that Ahmad Dixon had been arrested for criminal assault while he continued to play him during the 2013 season on the basis that he was not actually incarcerated at the time of the games?

Mike Orakpo, LB – Orakpo was recruited to Baylor after being expelled from Colorado State University following an arrest for a “savage beating” that injured four people, two of them seriously, and led to a drug probe when police found evidence of drugs and anabolic steroid at his residence. According to a 90-page police report, a search of Orakpo’s and another expelled CSU’s residence yielded foil packages marked as anabolic steroids, as well as hypodermic needles, nine unmarked vials, eight of them refrigerated, and three used syringes. Possession of anabolic steroids is a felony in Colorado (but apparently not in Waco). With full knowledge of Orakpo's issues, Briles welcomed him to Baylor.
    www.cbssports.com/collegefoo.....chance-allstars

Tevin Elliot, DE - Baylor player recruited by Briles who was sentenced to twenty years in prison and a $10,000 fine after being convicted in January 2014 of raping and sexually assaulting four Baylor women, including a freshman girl twice at a party at a Waco apartment complex. Prosecutor LaBorde called Elliott a violent serial rapist who can’t admit he did anything wrong because he doesn’t think he did anything wrong. Briles called Elliott a sweet young man who was a good football player and deserved a second chance.
    According to an arrest warrant affidavit, one of the victims, who was a freshman student at Baylor University, told officers she went to the party on April 15 at the Aspen Heights apartments at 3344 South 3rd St. and while there, met Elliott. At some point, Elliott asked her to go outside with him and although she said she didn't want to go, she told officers he was persistent, the affidavit said. As they went outside, the affidavit said, Elliott "picked up the victim and took her to the pool area and volleyball court area where she was sexually assaulted twice" telling Elliott on several occasions "she did not want this." The victim later returned to the party and told an unidentified witness about the attack. That person took her to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, the affidavit said, and police were called a short time later.
    www.wacotrib.com/news/courts.....9fe39a7d5e.html

Josh Gordon, WR – arrested by police after being found stoned and asleep in the Taco Bell drive-thru at 3:30 am on Wed night prior to game with Tech. Briles played Gordon against Tech (but held him out of warm ups and Baylor's first drive as punishment) and said he was sticking by him because he was his kind of player. Gordon eventually left the Baylor program because of his third arrest for drugs in Waco, transferred to Utah where he never played because of failing another drug test and ended up at San Diego State. However, Baylor claims Gordon as one of the players it has put in the NFL. Gordon was suspended from the Cleveland Browns for a year for failing yet another drug test.

Daryl Stonum, WR – kicked out of Michigan following his third run-in with the law in three years at Michigan. When dismissed, Stonum was just coming off a season-long suspension in response to his second DUI arrest. Briles welcomed Stonum to Baylor's progam and campus.

Lache Seastrunk, RB – Recruited to Baylor under questionable circumstances after initially signing with Oregon after street-agent Willie Lyles was found to have accepted a $25K payment for delivering the recruit and leaving Oregon under investigation by a toothless NCAA.

Shawn Oakman, DE – Recruited to Baylor after kicked out of Penn State’s football program (and they put up with a lot at PSU) for theft.

Sam Ukwuachu, DE – Recruited to Baylor after being kicked out of Boise State following an arrest and an unspecified violation of team rules. Ukwuachu started in 12 games for Boise State as a freshman and was named a freshman All-American; however, he is no longer welcome at Boise State. Briles welcomed Ukwuachu to Baylor's football program and campus.

Ahmad Dixon, DB – Dixon was represented by a street agent during his recruitment and surprisingly decommitted from Texas to sign with Baylor, the first 4-star player to sign with Baylor during their streak of winless seasons. Dixon was arrested for criminal assault last last September during the season. According to the Waco Police Department, the 21-year-old male victim arrived at an apartment where Dixon and his friends were playing video games on the night of Sept. 16. Dixon became angry and began to assault the victim, punching him numerous times in his face and head causing pain and injury and a possible concussion. The victim waited until the next day to report the assault after Dixon made threats to the victim and victim‘s family . Waco police arrested Dixon who was subsequently bonded out of McLennan County Jail. Briles continued to play Dixon during every game that season because he was not actually incarcerated at the time of the games.

dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/09/27/ba...ssault-charges/

Antareis Bryan - Dallas police have arrested a Baylor football player. Antareis Bryan, a Dallas native, has been charged with aggravated robbery. He was booked into the Dallas County jail early Saturday morning on a $25,000 bond. Bryan is a starter who started every game for the Bears during 2009 and 2010.

Willie Andrews, DB - A Baylor football player was arrested and charged with possession of mar1juana with intent to distribute and operating an unregistered motor vehicle. Andrews was seen driving a black Ford Crown Victoria when police received a call that there was possible drug activity in the area. Police found $6,800 in cash and a 1/2 pound of mar1juana in Andrews' unregistered car.Subsequently, Andrews was arrested at his home and charged with assault with a dangerous weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm when police responded to a call that Andrews allegedly pointed a handgun at his girlfriend's head during an argument. The handgun Andrews allegedly used was found near a dumpster at Andrews apartment complex. Andrews had previously been sentenced to 30 days in jail after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge. The gun was found in his car by Texas State Troopers during a traffic stop. At the time, Andrews was serving a two year probation.

Robbie Rhodes, WR – Rhodes was arrested on drug charges and evidence tampering in May 2014. Because Rhodes attempted to hide the drugs after being apprehended, he was also charged with tampering with physical evidence. Briles said the matter would be addressed internally and added that he expected Rhodes, who is a starter, to start every game next fall so long as he is not incarcerated at game time. However, after Briles presented evidence to the McLennan County prosecutor showing that Rhodes had once previously passed a drug test at a prior time in his life, the prosecutor said that he was dropping all charges including the evidence tampering charge due to the fact that Rhodes was too important to Waco and to Baylor’s football program. Rhodes was a four-star member of BU’s 2013 recruiting class, rated as the No. 8 wide receiver in the country and the No. 8 player in the talent-rich state of Texas at any position. With the legal path now cleared, Rhodes is expected to be a significant contributor to Baylor’s high-octane offense in 2014.
    www.cbssports.com/collegefoo.....on-drug-charge.
    June 2014 Update: Unable to subsist for three weeks without narcotics, Rhodes fails yet another drug test only days after getting his May drug charges dropped and is released from the team, which raises even more questions. First, how many drug tests do you have to fail to get kicked out of Baylor? Hundreds? It should be noted that Rhodes never even passed out in the Taco Bell drive-thru, so why was he kicked off the team? But the biggest question is: knowing that when player-criminals from Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Colorado State, Boise State, Huntsville, etc, are booted out of school they transfer to Baylor, where is it that player-criminals from Baylor transfer to? Guantanamo?

Cordell Dorsey, Safety - An Abilene Cooper football standout who has committed to play for Baylor University was arrested Wednesday for alleged aggravated sexual assault of a child. In addition to his arrest, 18-year-old Cordell Dashun Dorsey has been suspended from Cooper’s football team “indefinitely,” Abilene ISD Superintendent Heath Burns said in a written statement. Cordell Dorsey has a verbal commitment to Baylor University and was recruited by Baylor Head Coach Art Briles.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I came across your mom earlier this morning.

BA-ZING!

16. the shark

the shark Member

Thank you for visiting her in the hospital.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm a regular Candy Striper.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is the part I love the most. It's not just Briles. It's not just the football program. It's not just the admissions office. It's not just the university.

It's the entire law enforcement of Waco...including the judge who signed the gag order and the district attorney who agreed to it. It's also Obama. Obama did it too. He shut all this up. They're all in the tank for this kid who never played a down of football for Baylor and who was never even on a roster.

But Josh Gordon was kicked out for mar1juana.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Never mind the guy was actually convicted. Light sentence aside, he has been punished for this while Jameis Winston was the first pick in the NFL draft and he raped a girl with no consequence at all. But Baylor's the one that's shattered this wholesome image the NCAA has been portraying for years. Give me a ****ing break.

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Hello, I'm Dr. Candy. I'm here to check your tonsils... with my probe.