1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Cancer?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htownrox1, Nov 6, 2010.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I thought I would be prepared for the news. I kinda expected what I was about to hear, but I guess there is still some hope deep inside of you that it won't be what you think it is...

I just found out yesterday that my Grandpa was diagnosed with cancer of the liver and he was given 6 months to live. At first, I thought I would be ready for the news, but in all honesty who is ready for that type of news? He had been complaining of pains in his stomach, and he didn't feel hungry, so he wouldn't eat. My mom, grandma, and aunts immidiately took him to the doctor, and they ran tests. The doctor really couldn't figure out what was completely wrong with him, except diagnosing him with cirosis of the liver. Because of that the doctor ordered him to do more tests at a hospital in Lake Jackson, Tx.. That leads to what we found out yesterday.

I was at home when I found out because, honestly I didn't wanna have to see my grandpa like that again. I just saw him the week before, and he didn't even look like the same person. His body was real weak and frail looking, but his stomach was really swollen. I just knew immidiately something was really wrong. So pretty much this past week we have been waiting for the test results, and let me tell you, it wasn't easy. Because my Grandpa lives out of town, my family has been having to drive back and forth and that took a toll on us, both physically and emotionally.

I don't know even where to start on how great of a person he is. He has been the only grandpa I know because my other one died when my dad was 18. So me being his first grandson, I guess there has always been a strong attachment we have shared between each other. He took me to my first ball game at the Astrodome, and my first Rockets game at the summit, in which i'll never forget. After that, he then moved out of town because of different reasons, and we haven't seen him as much. Because of that I do feel guilty now seeing him like this. If it really is true that he has 6 months left, I am gonna do all I can to be with him.

Idk, sorry if I'm rambling I just don't know really what to say. My whole family is taking it really hard, and there is just a real depressing feeling around. I wish I could do more but all we can really hope for now is a liver transplant. So overall I guess I ask you all for your prayers please. I know its a long shot for him to keep living, so I'm not asking for a miracle. I just hope through many prayers that we can deal with it in the best way we can. Thank you.

3 people like this.
  2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'll definitely keep him in my prayers.

I don't know what else to say in this situation (I have no real experience) but stay strong man and don't give up hope!

3. liljojo

liljojo Member

Dude, that sucks. Hard. Prayers going your family's way. Hope you get to visit him soon, even if it only to sit there with him.

4. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Prayers for your grandpa man. I've recently had a good 3-4 people that I know be diagnosed with cancer; testicular, lung, breast, and breast.

It's sad that a hundred years ago it didn't exist and now it slowly grows everyday in the # of people it affects.

Never lose hope though man, there's always a chance. My grandpa is a breast cancer survivor and I have a good friend's mother in the hospital right now who's been battling it for the last few months. The guy I know with testicular cancer also made a full recovery and is now out there living his life.

Just pray, take whatever steps necessary and recommended by docs, and always keep an eye out for 2nd opinions and better cancer treatment doctors/facilities.

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

My thoughts are with you and yours. My Mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer at the beginning of the year, and we lost her in the summer. It's not easy, but at least you have time to say what needs to be said.

Shower the people you love with love
    Show them the way you feel
    Things are gonna be much better if you only will

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

That really sucks. I'll keep him in my prayers... Hope there's a chance, however small it may be, but just stay strong.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Cancer has existed throughout history....

htownrox1 - I am sorry for your grandfather. If at all possible, y'all should see if he can get admitted to MD Anderson for further evaluation. It is the preeminent cancer facility in the world and if he can be helped, they can do it.

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

htownrox1, I am very sorry that you have to go through this difficult time. I'll keep you and yours in my prayers.

Not to get on my soapbox, but as a cancer survivor that was told that I had limited time left, the best support came from my family and friends that only acknowledged my illness when I brought it up.

I'm not suggesting how to "feel" or react, but it was beneficial for me to continue going on with my day-to-day life, working and functioning in-between radiation and chemo.

The time-tables that doctors give are usually realistic, but they're not always accurate. I'm hoping that your loved one is proof of that possibility also.

Much love.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Cancer sucks! Sorry to hear about your awful news.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Spend as much time with him while you can, and hear about his life.....I will pray for you and your family.

Cancer is a terrible thing to go through, I lost my mother from it...just horrible memories of that.

Stay positive when you are around him and do as much as you can with him.

Pictures, videos, and stuff like that if you can, for memories sake.

Good luck....and god bless.

DD

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

Hey bro, I think I know of something that may help you and your family... Just last night a member of my church preached a message about his father who has the same problem as your grandmpa.... Only 6% of his liver works and rushing to the hospital is an everyday thing for him since there are liquids building up in his liver that must be removed..... He also is on the waiting list for a transplant but its gets complicated..... Bro, I recorded the message and would love to upload it so that you may download it and listen to it.... It trully was life changing for everyone where the preaching went last night and wht it ment.... I can have it by tomorro bro. Just know one thing man, you cant change anything and neither can the doctors but there is one who can.... Seems to me like you and your family are need of a miracle.... Mathew 6:33 says Seek Him First and the rest shall be added unto the... I know you are going thru alot man but seek him in this moment and I promise he will be there for you and with you..... Ill send you a message via the rep if you want to talk about it and I will let me church know to pray for you...... Wht is your name by the way? and your grandmpas name as well so I can request the whole church to pray for you, your grandpa and your family..... Stay Strong man....

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear about that and the best thing to do now is be there for him and stay positive.

When you ask "Why cancer?" there is really no answer to that just like there are no answers to why there are tsunamis, earthquakes or hurricanes. I don't know if this is going to be of any comfort to you but worrying about the why something like this happens might not be as worthwhile instead of treasuring the time you have left and the time you had with your grandpa.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Echoing the sentiments of spending time, talking about his life, etc. I lost my grandfather to cancer and had the same feelings- he was so strong and just wilted before our eyes.

Thoughts & prayers your way.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My grandmother died of lung cancer when I was about 14. She moved into our home to be with family.

She was a huge Astros fan. While she was dying...laying in bed for months, frankly, dealing with chemo treatments...I would watch the Astros with her. She usually didn't have the strength to stay awake long enough to watch the whole game, so I'd keep score from the inning she fell asleep and leave it on her bedside table so she could check it out the next morning.

I can remember her smiling when they'd make a good play or after a win. I'll never forget that time with her. Talking through how my day at school had been...listening to her cough so deeply...watching the 'stros together.

Whatever it is you have done with your grandfather...do more of it before he passes. Spend time with him. We will all pray for the miracle...but the truth is, we're all going to die. It may be you before him. Make the most of every moment you have with people you love. Never let a moment with him pass where he doesn't know how much you love him. Don't waste a minute of it.

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I wanna say thank you all for the encouraging coments and support, it does mean a lot. i know its not gonna be an easy process, but I am gonna take the advice from yall and spend as much time with him. I really wanna stay strong especially for my mom i know she is taking it really hard. Thanks again.

16. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Will definitely keep him in my prayers. Stay strong.

My grandfather passed away in june. He was my first grandparent to pass and man it was tough. I just didn't know what to do and hated seeing my family like that especially my grandmother.

Stay strong.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This is really tough to deal with, but this is a time for you to let him know what he means to you and for you to learn from him in this difficult experience. Hopefully, he will not suffer. My condolences.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

This is why Garnett is a little b****, he doesn't take this **** seriously. Sorry to hear that...

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

My grandmother died of cancer as well. Sorry man...

20. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Just had a cousin, 31 years old, pass away from cancer...such a terrible thing to happen to anyone.

Prayers for you and your family during this difficult time. Just make the most out of it.