1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fat Shaming Doesn't Motivate People to Lose Weight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 11, 2014.

1. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

No ****
    That is all

2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

What color stars should people who smoke wear? Should alcoholics wear a different color symbol? What about people with depression? Everyone fights battles and everyone has different levels of confidence and motivation. Some people even have these things called eating disorder's. These people need help, not shaming

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think overweight people just need to learn how easy and beneficial loosing weight is, also how unhealthy and dangerous keeping the weight is.

Calling someone a fatty and not accepting them because of it of course won't work most of the time, and even cause them to be stressed, which will lead to further weight issues.

4. TheresTheDagger

People lose weight when they are mentally ready. There is no other answer.

In my case, it was the thought of disappointing my family that got me moving (along with being sick and tired of my increasing list of things I couldn't do/wear).

I have been extremely overweight to the point of obesity. Yes, I can say I was (and still am) obese when I topped out at 330 lbs on 5/12/14. For me, the beginning of obtaining the mentality of losing weight was acknowledging where I stand.

Today, I am 272 lbs. Still a long ways to go...but on the way back to being who I really am. Do I miss the food binges? Sometimes...but not really. It's as simple as making smart choices. Instead of binging on a bag of chips, I set aside smart snacks and limit the amount of them I eat. And by smart I mean food that I actually like that is also relatively lean.

My fitness pal and a fitbit are also godsends. Knowing at any moment throughout the day where I am with calorie intake and a little electronic companion to help motivate me to move more has worked wonders. Losing 58 lbs in 124 days has actually not been as hard as I thought.

Now I know I will get there. Its just gonna take time and continued discipline. Good luck to all those out there struggling to lose. You CAN make it happen.

1 person likes this.
  5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I think there is room in our society for shaming!...:eek:

Against fat shaming!

6. Buck Turgidson

Malcontent, Major Malcontent, would you please report to the pink courtesy ham. Paging Major Malcontent.

But seriously, this is the most obvious "study" released this week.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does shaming shamers work?

8. Moleb

Moleb Member

All I have to say is i worked at Starbucks as a young adult, and 90% of the fat people who came always ordered fattening drinks, or if it was a non fat drink. Then they got the largest size. Perhaps because a stretched out stomach, I'm not sure. But that's what I saw.

9. JD88

JD88 Member

I disagree.

Me and my older brother are athletically built, him more so due to his intense workout routine, but my younger brother (who is 12 years younger than I) was a little fatty. So we shamed him and shamed him, and in response he started counting calories and limiting his fat intake (this was a 11 year old kid) and now hes tall and skinny and physically fit.

So while the study says it doesnt work, it should say it doesnt work for everyone.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Theres some girl on fb at the moment who has about 1m followers, and her whole shtick is that she is obese and comfortable being obese.

The whole, "be proud of who you are and your weight" "Love every bit of yourself" type thing.

While it is not nice to insult her/etc/ I think encouraging her thought process is even more damaging. Long term (not THAT long term) she'll have a myriad of health conditions, never be able to push her body physically and enjoy what it can offer.

I was overweight when I finished highschool, I stopped playing sport for 5 months (knee injury) and I was only about 10kgs overweight, but the thing is my face carries weight extremely easily, i.e. I just get a giant marshmellow head. Only one person called me fat. Ever. That was enough to swim/box/eat smaller portions/more healthier.

Ofcourse I KNOW how to eat healthy and exercise more. But some people just need that push.

Spot on, everyone is motivated differently, some can find it within and others can't.