1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets.com: Omer Asik Impresses Early

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Among other camp notes:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/news-and-notes-training-camp-edition

It looks like that if the guy has the stamina to last 30+ mpg without picking up too many fouls, his contract will be a total steal. Omer Asik is a human monster.

#1 Carl Herrera, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

What else would you expect from the 7'2'' Chuck Hayes?

1 person likes this.
  3. Convictedstupid

Also the terms usually involved in making sweet sweet love.

2 people like this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That's exactly what Asik appears to be. He moves laterally as well as any 7 footer I've seen. I don't count Dream as a 7 footer.

5. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

He's really quick in the scrimmage videos. I thought he was Montiejunas at one point.

6. tomato

tomato Member

So Asik is a "great passer" and we saw that Terrence Jones can handle the ball a bit in SL. I'm really hoping Royce White can get some practice in before pre-season starts so he can find a role here.

7. mirus

mirus Member

i think i saw asik pass the ball at day 2 - surprising but i think it's nice

8. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

A giant with great timing. His ability to throw back shots completely alters the shots of anyone even thinking of coming near the rim.

I think Omer actually has the chance to be better than Chandler defensively. The guy has a similar ability to keep his guy in front of him when the offensive player faces him up or he gets switched with a smaller guy on the PnR. But his size and length allows him to also be a great post defender, whereas Chandler can be pushed around by the likes of Howard or Bynum. Omer has a much stronger base.

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Watching the scrimmage videos, I think he will really play well with Lin.

Lin is good at drawing defenders with dribble penetration. He gets a lot of tough lay-ups that hang on the rim long enough for Asik to follow them up.

Chandler had a lot of easy tip-ins last season.

10. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

He's not a stiff. He's a legitimate NBA caliber athlete. The fact that he's 7'2" doesn't hurt his case, either.

11. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

He's better than Joakim in my opinion, just not as developed.

12. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Here's where people were wrong re: Asik -- the guy is just a great, great athlete. He's not some typical offensive challenged 7 foot stiff. He runs the floor, he scores in the paint with ease because of his size... the guy's a stud.

13. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

i really hope he keeps his foul total low. come on asik! let's go!

14. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Well, you figure just about everyone playing in the assoc. is a stud. But within this elite group of a few hundred, there are multiple strata of studliness.

In an era of terrible centers, asik should rank in the top half of starting centers this season.

Lin and Asik aren't CP3 and Dwight, but you will have above average play at both critical positions. That's why I think this team has the potential to be a .500 team or a bit better this season.

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Just looked up some old stuff when he entered the draft

Draftexpress.com: 6'11 and 230lbs,
    nbadraft.net: Strength rating - 6/10, thin by NBA standards and needs to bulk up.

To me, Omer seems around 7'1 now, and probably 280lb+ and strong as an ox (CD interview).

Definitely a hard worker.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The guy is a stud on defense and a very good rebounder. He won't be scoring outside of put back dunks. He isn't a "great, great athlete" either. I don't know where you are getting the stuff you are saying from, but it's just not reality. He is a really nice player to have, but he won't come close being reliable on offense and he won't be scoring in the paint with ease.

17. trowa

trowa Member

with lin and asik, rockets can definitely have the chance to take the 8th spot. the question is, do they want to.

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

If you talk about jumping high as athletic, then he isn't. But he's pretty athletic in terms of lateral movement, for someone his size and weight.

19. shoops

shoops Member

He's still raw on offense, but I hope he shapes up well and his effort translates past practice to the real thing.

Lol nah, it's gonna take more than that. The conference is tough, and the team is just so young and raw for now. When they get into some close games, it's gonna be tough...still, hoping for the best though!

20. trowa

trowa Member

jump high? dude is 7ft and u cant really tell how high he can just because he doesnt need to. not everyone is like westbrook or jsmith, jump more inches than they needed just for fun