1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Celtics offer Rondo, Allen to Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dantonv08, Jun 23, 2009.

1. dantonv08

dantonv08 Member

2. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Stuckey really isn't a true point guard. I would rather have Rondo but Hamilton and Prince are very tempting.

3. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

was just abt to start a thread on this..

complete BS.. i will never trade Rondo

4. dantonv08

dantonv08 Member

sorry i forgot to post that Detroit rejected this but if this is true it shows Boston is looking to trade Allen maybe we could go after him??

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This is, what, the 2nd or 3rd major Rondo rumor now? Maybe the C's know something damaging about Rondo that we don't? Are they afraid to pay him? I mean, this is Danny Ainge initiating all this.

6. dantonv08

dantonv08 Member

I think they are just afraid to pay him cause he's not worth the money he's gonna be asking for....

7. baller4life315

They'll have his Bird Rights and Allen's deal comes off the books after next year. I know that doesn't change his likely high asking price but it certainly makes whatever extension he signs more digestible.

8. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

He averaged a triple double in the playoffs. He's worth a lot more than people are suggesting. He's going to be a top point guard in the league for a long, long time.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'd make a run at both of them. Still amazes me that theyre willing to do that. 2 years removed from a championship and theyre willing to break apart their core. This is just pure curiousity on my part but wonder what we would have to do to aquire one or both of them. Allen will be in the last part of his deal, and Rondo, I'm not sure about.

10. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Boston would of had a pretty sick line up...

1) Rodney Stuckey
    2) Richard Hamilton
    3) Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince
    4) Kevin Garnett
    5) Kendrick Perkins

but I defiantly get why Detroit shot this down. They would have nothing after next season besides Rondo. They're also already losing Rasheed Wallace.

11. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

A lopsided deal in favor of the Celtics. If the Pistons do agree then they are totally on a rebuilding mode. Problem is that they get a good pg but an aging sg who would give them at most two more productive years. The Celtics would have earned a finals seat with that line up.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't get Boston's urgency to move these players. I think they can give it one last shot in 09/10. Apparently Rondo is a real douche in the locker room though.

13. uchlha

uchlha Member

Danny Ainge is that you? :)

If i was the Pistons I'd jump on this deal

14. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

apparently.. there have been some issues with Rondo.

but still. . i will NOT trade him.. no way!

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I kind of disagree with you guys and see where Ainge is coming from. He understands that KG/Pierce have a 2-3yr window max. As a former player he realizes how rare it is to even have a championship caliber team at hand. Boston has suffered some nasty droughts. He isn't worried about the future nearly as much as you guys might assume he is. The NBA is fairly weak right now, Boston is definitely a threat.

So why not deal Rondo who has skyrocketing value and get several solid pieces? It really does make sense to me, winning now is underrated. The only overrated thing in this thread is Rodney Stuckey.

16. jlwee

jlwee Member

The No.1 rule of the trade:
    Never trade with your rivals unless you are really desperate.

So i don't think Joe Dumars will wanna help the Celtics!

17. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

That's a really stupid deal for the Pistons. Rondo is nothing without a team and his superstars.

18. baller4life315

I don't have a problem with the thinking but this package is nothing special. It isn't "several pieces". Laterally speaking, Prince is the only difference and he wouldn't even be starting in this scenario. All I know is: Rondo is way better than Stuckey while Rip is probably a little better than Allen. Does Prince really sweeten the deal enough? Mind you, you're taking a player used to starting and demoting him to the bench. I just don't see it.

#18 baller4life315, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  19. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

1: will you trade TMac/Battier/Brooks for Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and Rodney Stuckey?

2: you think Detroit will do it?

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Rip-Prince-Stuckey combined barely make as much as McGrady alone. There's no way to include Battier in that deal and have it work financially.

The scenario would be:
    Houston does not resign Artest, McGrady (and Brooks) to Detroit for Rip & Prince.
    The problem with that is, Detroit receives a single wing player that is unlikely to be a 20ppg stud at the cost of both of its swing position players (who combine for 32 ppg). That's a big drop off in production for very little gain in return.

Evan