1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cannabis] Tan Parker (R) Supports MMJ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GanjaRocket, Sep 19, 2014.

1. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dalla...rker-open-to-medical-mar1juana-in-texas.html/

This election season our newspaper added two questions on drug policy to questionnaires we sent candidates for state offices. Rep. Tan Parker, R-Flower Mound, surprised me with his answer on whether he’d support putting a medical mar1juana amendment on the ballot for voters to decide.

Parker said he’d be open to a tightly written medical mar1juana amendment.

Further, in an interview with the editorial board yesterday (along with his Democratic opponent, Daniel Moran, a UNT student), Parker said he would support legislation eliminating jail time for possession of small amounts of mar1juana. His position reminded me of Gov. Rick Perry’s statement this year that, “You don’t want to ruin a kid’s life for having a joint.”

Parker’s position is interesting, coming from the chairman of the House Corrections Committee who’s regarded as pretty conservative. If Parker occupies this space on drug policy, it could indicate movement by more Republicans than I would have expected for next session.

Here is Parker’s answer to the medical mar1juana question on the online questionnaire:

Like so many other Texans, I have a first-hand understanding of how difficult it can be to meet unique healthcare challenges within our existing framework. I do support new and innovative approaches to treating those who are terminally or otherwise extremely ill. For example, I recently attended a legislative seminar on the topic of allowing terminal patients who have exhausted all other treatment options the ability to employ experimental treatments that are still in the testing phase and not yet approved for wide use.

I do think it is important that we grant those whose lives are at risk every treatment option possible to cure their condition and live a productive life. Medical mar1juana is a topic that has been discussed in the Texas Legislature since I was first elected in 2006. Like any other issue of public policy, it is one that is always evolving and I look forward to continuing to compile new data and information on the topic.

However, I am currently considering support for tightly written legislation that would provide mar1juana on a strict prescription basis for very specific conditions that have clearly demonstrated medical benefits, such as epilepsy.

In our interview yesterday, I told Parker that his position on MMJ is newsworthy, considering his politics. I think my eyes bugged out. He chuckled and said: “I throw people off once in a while.”

He told us this, on medical MJ:

When you see children battling epilepsy, and you see the horrific seizures that they’re going through, and I’ve got verifiable scientific evidence that shares with me that this can really make a difference in the quality of life for these children, I find it to be inhumane on my part to not look seriously at how we can create and craft [a bill] very tightly for specific conditions.

This is not, by any means, Tan Parker opening up the world to mar1juana or decriminalization, broadly.

--- continued, follow link..

if a guy like him with a hard to please constituency is in support, could we see a momentum shift in texas?

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lol.

He's in favor of Medical mar1juana. Its not just going to be walking into a doctor's office and complaining about back pain, looks like it'll be a systematic process.

3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Yea also lower penalties for simple posession.

It doesn't matter if texas has strict program enrollment.

The fact that it gets approved at any extent with this states conservatives is huge

4. bongman

bongman Member

OP.. Pass the dutchie to the left hand side :grin:

5. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

how you feel about vaporizers? :D

6. bongman

bongman Member

their ok but still prefer the smoke. :p

7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

8. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

you gotta get a vape that puffs clouds like a pax or arizer solo.. then you wont really miss smoke on the daily

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

so this thread is about smoking weed, not medical mar1juana laws or benefits?

they + are = they're

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised there aren't more Republicans that support decriminalizing mar1juana or even medical mar1juana. It seems like something that the libertarian and pro-business wing of the party would support.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

it seems like a no brainer to remove mar1juana from the list of Schedule 1 Narcotics.

12. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

their pro-business wing is propped up by Anheuser-Busch and others..

supporting something that's the opposite of alcohol makes them squeamish but now the overwhelming environment/sentiment is that they can make money doing both