1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutch Community Reaches For The Stars! (9/27)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roc Paint, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Hello mikol13,

I just got off the phone with Amber with the Star Of Hope, and she gave me some info for your little ones. I Hope this helps you!
    I also Hope to see you on the 27th. ;)

Hello Roc Paint,

Please pass this message onto your friend who has younger children that would like to volunteer. For almost all of our onsite projects, we ask that our volunteers are high school age and older. However, we have a few onsite projects for those that are Jr. High age and younger as well as several offsite projects.
    “Snacks & Goodnight” is a project suitable for any age. This project has been a tremendous hit with our volunteers, as well as a huge blessing for those we serve. Our volunteers provide an evening snack for all of our guests and get to help pass it out! At the request of our parents, we have made changes to include healthy snack choices and reserved cookies for only Wednesday or Friday evenings:
    · Mondays – popcorn, pretzels or goldfish
    Tuesdays – peanut butter & jelly finger sandwiches
    Wednesdays – cookies
    Thursdays – fruit or veggie trays
    Fridays – cookies
    Saturdays – pudding cups, Jell-O cups or fruit cups
    Sundays – Rice Crispy treats or granola bars
    We have two Star of Hope locations where we offer this project: (Group size: no more than 10 please.)
    1. Women and Family Emergency Shelter (300 clients/snacks) on 419 Dowling St., Houston, TX 77003 [on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings] from 7:15 pm – 8:15 pm
    2. Transitional Living Center (125 clients/snacks) on 6801 Ardmore St., Houston, TX 77054 [on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings] from 7:45 pm – 8:45 pm
    If you would send me several dates and times that you are available (as well as location preference if you have one), I will check on our calendar!

Also, We have a new opportunity that we are offering through our Extended Services Programs. In partnership with Star of Hope, New Hope Housing is hosting activities where we need volunteers of all ages to help! New Hope Housing is a company that serves low income individuals by providing affordable apartments and a supportive community. Star of Hope has many clients living at these apartments in a program called New Haven. New Haven participants are those who would struggle with mental illnesses and chronic homelessness. The three locations we offer these special events are:

• 2424 Sakowitz, Houston, TX 77020
    • 4415 Perry, Houston, TX 77021
    • 577 W. Rittenhouse, Tx, 77091

Each month, we are given a calendar of events where they can use up to 10 volunteers of all ages to participate and assist with their events. Would you like for me to send you the list of this month’s events?

Additionally, all of the following projects are volunteer needs that can be completed from the comfort of your own home or church! We would love it if you would possibly consider selecting one of these projects to do to help the Star of Hope:

· Notes of Encouragement – Please mail notes to my attention at 6897 Ardmore St., Houston, TX 77054 – (Examples Attached)
    Everyone loves to receive a special card in the mail, but our clients don’t often receive mail that is positive and uplifting. Your notes will bless and raise the self-esteem of those who are struggling through difficult times. Volunteers can use any type of card they prefer and, if this project is being done by a corporate or church group, you are welcome to use cards with your logo. Volunteers can simply pen a note or can decorate the cards with markers, colored pencils and/or stickers. In other words, they can be as creative as they want to be!

Sack Lunches – Sack lunches are an everyday need for clients who are out job searching, at social service appointments or just getting back to work. Most sack lunches consist of a sandwich (condiments on the side) and a few sides such as chips, snack bars, fruit, dessert. We also ask that you provide water bottles to be distributed with the lunch.

Care Packs – Our clients need the same hygiene and toiletry items that we use when dressing each day. You might even want to include a scripture card or note of encouragement.

Donation Drives – Ongoing needs include diapers/pull-ups/baby wipes; socks and underwear in all shapes and sizes; towels and twin-size sheets (can be gently used); toiletries; and non-perishable food.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding any of this information and/or would like to set something up. I am happy to help and thanks again for everything! J

Sincerely,

Amber Wilmeth
    Volunteer Liaison
    Star of Hope Mission
    713-440-5333
    www.sohmission.org
    Hope For The Homeless - Blog

1 person likes this.
  2. RocRouge

RocRouge Contributing Member

Hi guys and gals,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Star of Hope mistakenly double booked us with another group at their Transitional Living Center location near the Medical Center, :( therefore we still have the following location available where the need has been upgraded to 12x volunteers the evening of 27-September (4:00-6:30):

-Women and Family Emergency Center, located near Minute Maid Park and the BBVA Compass Stadium at 419 Dowling Street, 77003

And maybe afterwards we can all go for a drink/dinner at one of the nearby pubs/restaurants!?

Remember, we are still trying to lock-in a head count for this event. Please respond with your interest so we can add you to our list!

Thanks again for all your volunteer contributions, and a special thanks to bobrek for your generous donations to the Clutch Community cause. :grin:

Kind Regards,
    RocRouge

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'll be there!

There's a Lucky's Pub really closeby

4. Roc Paint

I was hoping we could all go to the Astros game afterwards, but they will be in NY that night. Dang!

BTW, Lucky's Pub sounds fantastic! We were thinking the same thing.

5. Roc Paint

Ok guys/gals...it's getting close to "Crunch Time" for our upcoming event. I have 5 verbal commitments thus far... not including my wife and I. I am really hoping to get to the magic number of 12 to participate for this wonderful cause. Please post if you are willing and able to join us.

Thanks again,
    Roc Paint

6. Roc Paint

I felt the need to bump this... due to the fact that I have trimmed the fat on my social site... that Clutch allowed me to start. (I got a little to caught up in the Cybrex thread... and for that, I am sorry)

To be honest...at first I went fishing to try to recruit as many ClutchFans members as I could. Come to find out...not everyone had the same vision or time as I do, and I want everyone to know that I totally understand that. There will more events forthcoming, and I can't wait to meet everyone who may be interested.

From here on out...I will keep my mouth shut on issues that don't help my cause, and appreciate anyone who would like to donate their time to helping others. There are so many people that I would like to thank for their contributions thus far... not only for being by my side from the start... but also the well wishes and donations from abroad.

Kind Regards,
    Roc Paint

7. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Hi, I would like to commit to going. My email is dscheduler@gmail.com

I would also like to join the community group. Do I just press join group button?

8. Roc Paint

I'll send you an invite. ;)

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Hi Roc,

I emailed you through the board last night, and just wanted to know if you received it. ;)

Thanks!

Richard

1 person likes this.
  10. Roc Paint

I guess not, but I just sent you an invite. ;)

11. Roc Paint

I am realizing there may be some misconstrued information on the Clutch Community social group...apologies for that! At one point, there were up to three locations where we could have volunteered at; however, we are down to ONE location now (accepting 12x volunteers) and want to make clear that the above location at: The Women and Family Emergency Center at 419 Dowling Street, is the correct location for our September charity event.

12. RocRouge

RocRouge Contributing Member

Dear Clutch Community Supporters and Friends,

We are about one week away from servicing our neighbors in need at the Star of Hope Women and Family Emergency Center, next Saturday, 27-September from 16:00 - 18:30! We are hoping to obtain a generic / preliminary headcount of the ClutchFan members that are interested in volunteering for this months local charity by this coming Sunday. So far, we have the following commitments:

• Mr. Clutch
    • mikol13
    • benchmoochie
    • LonghornFan (still waiting to hear back)
    • Plowman (still waiting to hear back)
    • Kristina (a friend from outside ClutchFans)
    • Elizabeth (a friend from outside ClutchFans)
    • Roc Paint
    • RocRouge
    If your name is not listed above and you'd like to be added, please respond to this post, or email Roc Paint or I with your acceptance to volunteer at this event.

Don't forget, we also plan to go to Lucky's Pub (near the event location/Minute Maid Park/BBVA Stadium) for a drink and/or dinner after the event, so come hungry/thirsty and my hubby Roc Paint and I will buy your first drink for participating in this great cause. :grin:

We are really excited about the support we are receiving from all of you, and are fondly looking forward to this great evening event!

Thank you again (and again, and again, and again)!

RocRouge

#32 RocRouge, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. Roc Paint

HFD station #50 donates tickets to Clutch Community for upcoming pre-season games. Details on how I will disperse them...coming Soon! ;)

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Looking forward to it!

15. Roc Paint

I've got two tickets to give you Mr. Clutch for one of the following games:

10-09-14
    Memphis

10-13-14
    Phoenix

10-24-14
    San Antonio

See you this weekend! :)

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Does Elizabeth and Kristina look good ?

17. Roc Paint

Why don't you sit the next play out Champ.

18. Roc Paint

Just an FYI, everyone needs to wear a hat or a hair net...I think I'm going hat, besides I think you need hair for the net to do its thing. Lol

My wife and I will be supplying the aprons for whoever attends. :cool:

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm coming with mikol13, Roc Paint....really looking forward to this.

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Daft Punk & I would like to say kudos to you Roc Paint! What you and your wife are doing is very commendable!
    I hope Clutch Community keeps on growing! I also want to make a shout out to Clutch himself for letting you to do this through his website!

Live long and prosper my friend!...;)

1 person likes this.