1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team needs a leader!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The problem with the Rockets (as I see it) is that everyone has heard all the hype about McGrady being a top 5 player in the NBA. I believe that all of them, including Yao, are waiting for T-Mac to lead them. Unfortunately, he's been struggling with his shot & he's, on several occasions, made it perfectly clear that he doesn't want to be the leader of the team. A case in point is his most recent comment (posted in another thread) about not expecting to see so many double teams when he came here.

T-Mac wants to be an integral part of the team, but not the leader. That's where, I believe, the Rocket's problem lies. We don't have a leader. Everyone is running around expecting someone else to step up & say follow me.

We've got a lot of solid talent on this team, but we don't have a vocal leader that'll start giving directions on the floor & get in someone's face when they're screwing up. Yao is too passive to be the leader & T-Mac doesn't want to be the leader.

I believe that our last hope of finding a leader on the current roster is Sura. Maybe he'll step up & take the leadership role.

We need to make a trade for a player that'll do just that. Otherwise, we're going to struggle all year long.

THIS TEAM NEEDS A LEADER!!!

2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

We need more than a leader...but thats a good start

3. University Blue

If YM and TM are consistently seeing double-teams on offense, that means Houston lacks a consistent third or fourth scoring option and teams are focusing their defense on shutting down YM and TM.

Eaton had Bailey.
    Abdul-Jabbar had Green and Thompson.
    Parrish had McHale and Bird.
    Edwards had Salley and Rodman.
    YM has ________?

YM has Patrick Ewing and Dikembe Mutombo (and Kelvin Cato the last two years). PE, DM, and KC are not ideal mentors for YM on offense (or defense). Barkley or James Edwards, who had effective back-to-the-basket games, would be better mentors for YM.

Thomas had Dumars, Johnson, Dantley/Aguirre, Laimbeer
    Johnson had Abdul-Jabbar, Worthy, Cooper, Scott
    Bird had McHale, Parrish, Ainge, Johnson
    TM has ________?

TM has Taylor, Jackson, and Sura.

Fans/critics/beat writers can attribute the on-court demeanor of Houston players in the last few games and the next few games to JVG...and they would be correct. If I am a Houston player and read quotes about imminent changes, then I would want to see the changes made quickly so the team can re-focus on winning games. Something is wrong with Houston, that's what the players read and are told. If a decision has been made re: personnel changes, the only thing players can do (and it's human nature) is to wait for the changes.

University (California Trippin') Blue

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes but a leader has to pick it up. Maybe Yao is waiting on T-Mac, and T-Mac is waiting on Yao to be the leader. One of these guys needs to take the initiative, and not just for one game, or one part of a game.

One if not both of them need to grab the team by the reins and drive it in their direction.

Van Gundy's system may be part of the problem, but neither of these guys seems like they are banging at the door about to burst out, and the only thing keeping them back is Van Gundy's system.

They look like they are just content to run the plays the right way, and hope it works out well. Occasionally one of them will remember they have the talent and ability to do something else, but it is never consistent.