1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The thing about 'stability'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by killtaker, Apr 20, 2011.

1. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

Just some quick research in response to people and players not wanting to be treated as 'assets' and desiring more stability.. Grow a pair.

1990-91 Chicago Bulls:
    Paxson/Armstrong/Hodges
    Jordan
    Pippen/Levingston
    Grant/King
    Cartwright/Perdue

1997-98 Chicago Bulls:
    Harper/Brown/Kerr
    Jordan/Burrell
    Pippen/Kukoc
    Rodman/Caffey
    Longley/Wennington

How many players from the 90-91 Bulls championship roster were on the 97-98 championship roster?

Two. Jordan & Pippen. Nobody brings up stability issues if you have a superstar or two to build around.

1999-2000 LA Lakers:
    Harper/Fisher
    Bryant/Shaw
    Rice/Fox
    Green/Horry
    O'Neal/Knight

2008-2009 LA Lakers:
    Fisher/Farmar
    Bryant/Vujacic
    Ariza/Odom
    Gasol/Walton
    Bynum/Mihm

Again, just Kobe and Fisher were the 'stable' pieces for two completely different championship rosters within the same decade. You can do this for the Spurs.

The point I'm trying to make is getting a superstar is what provides stability. Until we get that player, we have to constantly find ways of upgrading the team. Even after we get that star, it'll be likely we see 30 new faces within a 2-3 year span again, but it won't be considered a problem because we'll probably be pretty dominant.

You can get your superstar (through the draft) by promoting a losing culture like the Clips, by luck, or do your best to win and acquire a superstar by hard work. The latter might take longer, but it's admirable, and as a fan, I can take a lot of pride in that.

I'm disappointed by the Adelman thing, but have much props for Morey in the way he prepares his field and plants seeds for the future.. because the day it rains we're gonna to be instant contenders and be positioned to be a top team for a long time.

2 people like this.
  2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think most people agree. Fan favorites are a big thing in Houston for some reason though and people get attached to players. To me fan favorites are overrated compared to wins and losses. If we won more there would be more fan favorites on our winning team and more sold out games.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's not about stability, it's about humanity. Morey has no humanity or moral center and is not to be trusted. All he wants to do is to chase the next supposed superstar, who will have better options and no interest in signing with a rats' nest of an organization.

A team needs to know what it is first and make additions and subtractions accordingly. This team has no such self-knowlege or self-respect.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

We are not a rats nest of an organization. I have laughed at some you long term posters stuff. You guys often put down this franchise alot while saying others are trolls though. Saying we cant sign players because we arent good enough destination. Criticizing the GM for moves he does make. Saying our team isnt good enough for free agents to begin with. Then saying its Moreys fault. He either has to get free agents or has to trade for the players he wants and make moves. So which is it? He has to do something to reach those goals though.

5. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

This is crazy talk. "Humanity" is overpaying scrubs who think they are better than they really are.

6. Carl Herrera

Humanity is not talking about your player as assets. Humanity is knowing who you are.

Humanity is what Pat Riley used to attract James and Bosh and keep Haslem.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Dude... the idea of playing with other stars and having an easier road to deep in the playoffs is what attracted Bosh and James... also the climate of south beach. Humanity ?? Pat riley's humanity must be awesome because after signing James and Wade vererans started lining up to sign with the heat cmon man.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, I didn't expect to see 'Riley' and 'humanity' in the same sentence. This must be sarcasm.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I can't ever take anything CH says seriously, because...well, it's hard to tell if he's serious or not. lol

It is funny watching people get their feathers ruffled about it sometimes. I'm not a big fan of satire but some of it is entertaining.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Humanity is a 5'8 balding coach running out to hug a 7' opponent's leg, so everyone would just get along and stop fighting.

#10 heypartner, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  11. Carl Herrera

Exactly, humanity is what Jeff Van Gandhi has and Alexander and Morey lack.

12. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Ya know, when I woke up this morning, I was hoping I would hear a lawyer preaching about humanity and moral centers.

13. GMNot

GMNot Member

... that and the 3 players concerned (Wade, Bosh and James) plotting it (read relishing the thought of playing on the same team) during the offseason. ;)

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You talkin' bout a decade? A decade? Not 3 or 4 years, a decade? What are we talkin' bout? a decade, a decade.

15. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

*applauds*

16. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I don't like the samples, 9 years is a LONG time.

17. realmustang

realmustang Member

You guys are funny. You sit here and complain about all the trades that Morey made even after he trades the players that all of you on this site were saying needed to be traded. I kept hearing a lot of "Battier has to go", "Brooks has to go", "Arriza has to go" and now that they're all gone, you sit here and complain about Morey making too many trades. Make up your freaking minds. I bet all of you were on this site, hitting the refresh button, at this past trade deadline eager to see what trade Morey made.

18. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

I don't get it... isn't that what you want?

Get a superstar and you stand a chance to be dominant for a decade. Morey's proven year to year he can build a championship caliber supporting cast... once he gets his hands on that superstar we're gonna be damn tough to beat for a long time.

Do you want that kind of stability or not?

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, the bbs isn't a monolith. One subset wanted to trade Battier, another subset wanted to trade Brooks, another again may want stability. The sets don't have all the same people, but the community is so big, you wouldn't be able to keep track of who's who. I think this stability argument is a straw-man anyway. I haven't seen many people complain about turnover hindering progress (besides Adelman). I don't know who killtaker is arguing against in the first place.

Who ever said that? I'd like to see you find a counter-example of a team -- success or failure -- that left a roster majority intact for 9 years. The average player's career is shorter than that.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Didn't Morey say that the Celtics and the Rockets both had 30 personnel turnover the past 2 years?

The difference is, the players the Celtics did not move were KG/Pierce/Allen/Rondo, and the players the Rockets kept were Hayes/Scola/Lowry. Role players coming and going is the norm in the NBA, not the exception.