1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] This is Josh Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For those wanting to keep an eye on Josh Smith as a possible FA addition for the Rockets

--
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9086709/nba-atlanta-hawks-forward-josh-smith

This is Josh Smith
    Atlanta Hawks forward explains what he's looking for in free agency, his career
    Updated: April 3, 2013, 2:02 PM ET
    By Ramona Shelburne | ESPNLosAngeles.com

It is one of those perfect California afternoons by the beach where the sunlight hits the water just right, the breeze knows when to pick up a little to cool you off and the biggest decision you have to make is what to order for lunch.

After being squarely in the national spotlight leading up to the NBA trade deadline in late February, the life of Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith is back to normal.

He didn't get traded, even though in a few months he will become one of the most sought-after free agents on the market. He is still with the Hawks as they gear up for a playoff run that will likely go unnoticed unless they put a scare into a team like the Miami Heat in the second round.

He can walk through the lobby of this luxury hotel in Marina Del Rey without being recognized. He can have lunch a couple of blocks from Staples Center before a game against the Los Angeles Lakers without being disturbed.

If you're an NBA fan you recognize his rather common name and his versatile game.

But after that, how much do you really know about him?

Yes, he fills up the stat sheet better than just about anyone not named LeBron James.

And yes, he did say he thinks of himself as a "max [contract] player." But that's not the whole story.

"Each interview is delicate. What you say or how you say it, at the end of the day they're not putting that recorder and letting the whole world listen to it," Smith said.

He's calm, not defensive, about the quote that hangs over him and has been used to explain why the Hawks would consider trading a homegrown talent who could help them recruit Dwight Howard, an Atlanta native and also the best man at Smith's wedding, this offseason.

"The question was asked to me, 'Do I feel like I'm a max player?'" Smith continued. "And I gave him an honest answer. I said, 'Yes I do.' And the reason why I say this, is because if you don't know your worth, who will? I can't set my standards low. If you set them low, that's how people are going to view you. Like when you sell a house, you don't sell the house for $2 million. You put the $5 million sticker on there … and then you work it out. You negotiate."

He speaks slowly, but with a confidence that suggests he's thought all this through and made his peace with it. It wasn't pleasant to hear the reaction, but it also wasn't personal. Things rarely are for a player who, despite his preps-to-pros pedigree and status as a borderline All-Star, is still a bit of an unknown nationally.

"I think he's a little misunderstood to people that don't really know about him," said Clippers guard Jamal Crawford, who played two seasons with Smith in Atlanta. "If you don't know him you think he needs to grow up, but he's actually very mature. He's a great teammate, we had great conversations, he has your back.

"But if you ask his teammates and the people that see him every day, they love him."

Despite the trade chatter and his impending free agency, Atlanta means a lot to Smith. He sponsors AAU and high school teams all over the city, paid for the living expenses for the family of Rajaan Bennett -- a star football player from his high school who was murdered before he could play at Vanderbilt University -- and hosts a Thanksgiving dinner every year for My Sister's House, a shelter for women and families affected by domestic abuse.

"Sometimes I feel like my tithe to the church is being able to give back to my community," he said. "I grew up in poverty. I wasn't a rich kid. My dad drove trucks, 18-wheelers.

"My mom had callouses on her hands from doing hair and using the curling irons. My dad used to unload the truck himself just to try and get extra money to buy me shoes. I had one pair of shoes, this pair of navy blue Converse he bought me. And I had to wear them with all my outfits at school and then turn around and play basketball in 'em.

"So you know, I learned to appreciate the little things."

Which is why the quote about being a "max player" is more about respect than money. Appreciating the little things the 27-year-old Smith does on the court.

"I believe I can be that," Smith said, when asked if he can develop into the type of scorer who is generally awarded a max contract. "But my thought process is, 'As the team succeeds, I succeed.' If we're a hell of a team, and we're playing well, individual accolades trickle down.

"There's definitely still room for me to grow. I work on having more consistency with my jump shot. But every night it's not going to go in for you. But if you look at the intangibles, each and every night I play my all. I can pass the basketball well or I can sit on it and take the challenge on the defensive end. I still can block shots and get out and run."

The Hawks ask Josh Smith to juggle a lot of roles.
    Smith gets fired up as he explains himself. His voice grows a little louder. He sits up in his chair and looks me in the eye, making sure his words are resonating.

You get the sense he appreciates being asked the question. But also that he's long since resigned himself to the idea that his play must speak for him. He can guard five positions and drop 30 points. But he knows his jump shot needs to become more consistent, and that he settles for it too often.

Smith is filling it up again this season, with 17.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 1.8 blocks per game, but his player efficiency rating has dipped, from career best 21.14 last season to 17.53 this season. His 3-point attempts have also risen to a career high as he and the Hawks try to adjust to life without Joe Johnson's scoring and spacing on the perimeter.

"I like passing the basketball," he said. "I like to reward people for good work. Every kid wants their mom to take them for ice cream when they do good. People want to get rewarded. And if they don't get rewarded, it can become, not a selfish thing, but like 'I'm going to take this shot because I haven't got any looks,' and then everybody else does the same thing."

He's been like this from as far back as he can remember. From the days he and Howard starred on the Atlanta Celtics AAU team, to his time sharing the court with Rajon Rondo at Oak Hill Academy, this is the type of basketball he believes in. And it's the type of situation he'll be looking for when he hits free agency this summer.

"Winning. That's all I care about," Smith said. "I want to have an opportunity to have a legitimate shot at getting a ring. I've been successful in high school, AAU, I want to have a legitimate shot at winning a title."

That place still might be Atlanta. After all, the Hawks valued him highly enough not to pull the trigger on any of the trades they entertained before the deadline. More than a dozen teams inquired about Smith but no offer came in that met Hawks general manager Danny Ferry's goal of returning a good young player while still maintaining all the flexibility he created last summer by trading Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams.

"I think our situation was unique in terms of still being competitive but also having cap space and flexibility going forward," Ferry said. "We looked at all of our options at the end of June up until the trade deadline.

"Josh and I have had a positive and honest relationship from Day 1. He's been professional this season despite a lot of change and obviously a lot of distractions. I've enjoyed working with him."

Smith says he didn't take what happened at the deadline personally. He is still open to a return to the Hawks but is also looking forward to free agency and the recruiting process, which he hasn't truly gotten to experience.

Before he decided to forgo college and enter his name in the 2004 NBA draft, his heart was set on Georgia. After coach Jim Harrick was hit with NCAA violations, he met with Indiana coach Mike Davis and was sold on the Hoosiers.

In 2008 he signed an offer sheet with the Memphis Grizzlies as a restricted free agent. The Hawks matched and that was that.

"I went to Philadelphia and sat down with the Clippers for dinner because I was already out here in Los Angeles [where he now lives during the offseason] for an adidas photo shoot," Smith said. "So this is going to be exciting for me to travel to different cities, and sit down and talk to executives and GMs."

He's pretty clear about what he wants to see and hear. Because he's also very clear about what's important to him.

"The first time we made the playoffs [in 2008], we played the Celtics," Smith said. "It was a seven-game series and the three games we had at home, it was unbelievable. You could feel the building shaking. You could feel the intensity, it was loud.

"I want that feeling."

That kind of atmosphere has been rare in the nine seasons Smith has played for the Hawks. Atlanta has never been known as a great sports town. The Atlanta Braves made the playoffs 10 consecutive years, from 1995 to 2005, often playing to a half-empty ballpark. The Hawks are 26th in the league in home attendance.

"The only time where I can honestly say it was rocking was that first series against the Celtics," Smith said wistfully about the first-round matchup. "For those moments, that excitement should just be there."

To create that kind of excitement and hype, a team first has to win and give its fans something to be excited about. Smith gets that. Atlanta is his hometown. And if the Hawks aren't creating buzz, well, some of that falls on his shoulders, as well.

"Winning changes everything," Smith said. "And the person changes everything."

Smith, of course, could be one of the people who changes things for Atlanta and the Hawks. Ferry has created some $33 million in salary-cap space to pursue at least one of the top free agents on the market this summer and re-sign Smith. Howard, Smith's close friend, will be one of those max players to hit the market this summer.

"Is Dwight serious about [Atlanta]? That's the question," Smith said. "Everybody would probably want to have him on the team.

"But Dwight is global now. That's in his mindset. He's addicted to it now. He's addicted to being global and international. That was the whole reason he wanted to leave Orlando is he wanted to have that big market.

"I'm not going to say it's farfetched [for Atlanta to lure Howard], but it is going to be kind of difficult to be able to persuade him."

It's a complicated situation to process. It's also in the future. A lot can still happen between now and then. It's best to focus on the present, on what he can control, and then let his game do the talking.

"I think we'll prove a lot of people wrong," said Smith, whose Hawks are still right where they usually are this time of year, in the middle of the Eastern Conference standings. "I love playing in the postseason. That's what we play for. It's a different type of feeling, it's a different type of adrenaline rush. I love those moments."

It's what he's looking forward to now.

It's what he's looking for in the future.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would love Josh Smith for about what he is making now.

3. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I was disappointed in him this year.. I really thought at his age and Joe Johnson leaving town he would bring his game to the next level and he didn't.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

If he was serious about winning, he wouldn't be chucking up all those 3's and creating so many TO's by assuming he has the skills to be a great passer. He's an average passer of the ball and a below average 3pt shooter.

If he realized that his bread and butter is rebounding/shotblocking/putbacks, and what could make him a top PF is making good decisions with the ball, then he is worth the MAX. I've always said the Rockets are a team which are going to have to pay max money to near-max players. But at Smith's age he is more likely to go from near-max to nowhere-near-max than becoming a responsible team player.

If he's willing to commit to reducing his 3pt attempts and get his rebounding rate up, I would take him in a heartbeat. But I feel like he would take that kind of advice as disrespect, which is childish.

Let's see what happens. If we have no other options, I would be content giving him near-Max money. For the MAX years and dollars though, I would probably rather stick with our team as is.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Great post, Mathloom

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Josh Smith is what he is and will likely stay that way before declining. It's rare for NBA players to raise their game to another level after 9 seasons. He isn't a young player anymore and experienced dogs don't learn new tricks.

7. Raven

Raven Member

I don't see Dwight Diva leaving LA and I don't see Josh Smith getting a max, but all it takes is one reckless GM, just one.

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I read some other interview with Smith on the more technical parts of his game, his role, and he seems pretty smart about it.

Which makes it more puzzling why he still takes his share of ill-advised shots throughout the game.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

I hope Morey is patient this summer, no reason to jump the gun on Smith, Millsap, Love, Dwight or any other available FA. I rather he pursues a trade for Aldridge or Marc Gasol.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

One has to believe that DM the GM will pursue every possible avenue and will pull the trigger on something good, or wait until the next Harden op presents itself.

I have faith.

PS I am hoping against JSmoothe, unless it's a package deal with Superman.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

PPS I do see Houston as having global impact. I do. I do.

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

The 3's honestly don't bother me too much. It's the long 2's and corner 3's Josh Smith needs to get rid of. He's become an OK shooter from 3 from the wings and though you certainly don't want him hoisting wing 3's left and right, I don't mind him taking open jumpers from there every now and then.

With regards to Josh Smith's passing I wouldn't discourage him from trying to make plays for others, considering that he actually does have very good vision for a big. He's unselfish, too, so passing comes natural to him.
    You are right that he's a fairly average passer, so though he usually makes the right read/basketball play, his passes end up being off target a decent amount of the time. Still, I think think the good considerably outweighs the bad here and I think that would be even more so the case if you were to put Smith on a better team where he'd have a less prominent role on offense.

Smith just is a big tease. I think there are some areas he could still improve on, but for the for part he'll be what he is now, which is a very good, but not quite max-level player. I wouldn't pay him max money under any circumstance, but I'd happily take him for up to $15M annually.

1 person likes this.
  13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He needs to keep it simple, cut down on fancy high risk passes.

'Tease' is a good word for Smith. He has so much ability and he seems to add something every year, and yet there's so much silly and risky in his game.

14. basketballholic

Josh Smith's 3-point shots aren't really the problem. The problem is the amount of 2-point shots he takes outside the paint area. That's what drags down his efg and ts the most. In our system, I think we fix that. With our emphasis on the 3, and with our emphasis on pick and roll and by constantly having Smith in the pick and roll I would expect his shots in the paint area, specifically the low block, to go up significantly, and with our emphasis on avoiding those 2-pt shots outside the paint, I think Smith's scoring efficiency going up tremendously as he gets to the line more often and as he finishes more shots and takes a lot fewer 2-point shots outside the paint.

I know Smith is not a great free throw shooter. But he has been over or very close to 70% for 5 years of his career. He can make that better by playing or a winning organization.

It's obvious to me that Smith has the skills to be much more efficient. I think it's up to him to find the team and accept the role that puts him in that position instead of being in a position with the basketball creating. He wouldn't be creating or attempting to create here. We've got Harden and Lin for that. I think his efficiency would improve drastically here in Houston.

Thank you vorped.com for all those fabulous shot chart graphics.

1 person likes this.
  15. Awesome

Awesome Member

He'll get some decent money from someone and be called overpaid anyway.. but he'll be happier to play for a team with a better chance at winning than Atlanta

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I think a lot of you are sleeping on josh smith. He's only 27, his game shouldn't decline that soon, and he's a he'll of a player right now. Yeah he makes some bad decisions sometimes but like he said in the article, every night he plays his all and our team needs that. It's evident with his teams success. They're a consistent playoff team and he's always one of the top two sometimes three players on the teams. Yeah he hasn't had much playoff success but how often was his team favored to win. He can't spread the floor, so what. Neither can Dmo or any other power forward we have. It's on the team and coach to figure it out. Great defender, agressive, tough, experienced. The dude has averaged 15+ pts and 8 rbs and almost 2 blocks most of his career and wins more than he loses. Y'all are trippin. Let's not wait around and hope for someone better cuz he is good enough.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

^ not directed at all of you

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

man imagine the free throws, they'd be close to if not the worst ft shooting front court in nba history

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Paying someone the max or near max and then expecting them to change their game is like marrying someone hoping they'll change, it might make sense in your mind, but to everyone else it was just naive.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ouch, true. But would you make that trade off? I would because June is a great month for hooping in Houston.