1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets, in need of roster spots, are on the clock with Ronnie Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I wanna be optimistic in hoping we can trade brewer, but I'm just not confident at all his contract can net us anything useful, barring some crappy 2nd rounder with huge protection.

I would love to say package him in a multi team deal with omer but why bother even thinking that.

3. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

why did the rockets even signed that guy if they weren't going to use him? he was solid in utah and chicago.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

same reason every team has players at the end of the bench; in case someone gets injured. No team is running a 13 man rotation.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Perhaps for:

a) a moment like this
    b) the chance that he looks like the player he once was

Either way, it was a tiny investment with very little downside.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 22m
    Since I'm getting asked again, will repeat tweet that Rockets will not waive Brewer by deadline, guaranteeing contract for rest of season.

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 10m
    Word for most teams with 11, 12 man rotations -- bad. RT @venramamurthy: Why don't they atleast play him, then? This team is so frustrating.

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 9m
    Don't have better use now for roster spot, not looking to cut costs. RT @solidz75: @Jonathan_Feigen can you explain to is what this implies?

7. arjun

arjun Member

Great point clutch, this is an excellent opportunity for the Rockets to solidify our bench.

Dunleavy would be great, there are many other options out there as well.

8. Bogeyfree

Bogeyfree Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Since I'm getting asked again, will repeat tweet that Rockets will not waive Brewer by deadline, guaranteeing contract for rest of season.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/420605137548091392">January 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I like the Dunleavy idea a lot. A solid 3 point threat that could soak up some of Cisco's minutes. Hasn't he been injured this season, though?

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

While I dont doubt Feigen has been told by someone with the Rockets that they are NOT waiving or trading Brewer today, I do think that Feigen is either being negligent or simply misleading Rockets fans with these tweets.

The fact is Brewer doesn't play on this Rockets team, and currently serves no basketball purpose..... and yes they do have better uses for that roster spot right now. Even if McHale played an 11 or 12 man rotation, I doubt Brewer would still serve any purpose for this team. Thats a fact, and Feigen trying to be cute with fans for not thinking otherwise is sort of annoying.

However, the fact that he (apparently) isn't going to be waived or traded tells me one thing if you can read between the lines here that Feigen isn't telling fans.... The Rockets obviously feel like they need Brewers FULL salary (1.2 mil roughly) as a filler for another larger & most likely more important trade closer to the deadline.

That is the reason most likely that either Brewer isn't being waived to sign a prospect like Troy Daniels, or isn't being traded today in a deal for an upgrade like a Mike Dunleavey Jr. deal that Clutch referred to in his post.

#10 dobro1229, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  11. Play07

Play07 Member

Good read

dunleavy is the 3rd player I have mentioned on CF that I would have signed 2013 off season, would have gave him our "mid level ext." he fits our system from like a glove & he moves without the ball, "the real delfino replacement" interesting to see his name being mentioned in this writing... I may need to start testing my GM skills, Morey I'm ready !

12. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Just because we're not waiving him, doesn't mean we're not trading him. Still an expiring.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Somethings gotta give.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I would like Kaman off the bench

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FWIW, Feigen did not say that the Rockets weren't going to TRADE Brewer by today. I seriously doubt that the Rockets would tell any reporter about a trade before it was sure to go down. Still, I, too, do not doubt that Feigen got reliable information that the Rockets will not waive Brewer themselves today.

I also completely agree about the Rockets likely viewing the merits of Brewer as salary filler in a trade by the February deadline as outweighing the need to open a roster spot for another player (Daniels?) who likely would never see the light of day in the Rockets' rotation.

Also, as Feigen mentions, the Rockets simply have little/no financial reason to need to avoid Brewer's guarantee. We're talking about ~$700k in additional salary. While this is nothing to sneeze at (I credit Les Alexander for being willing to spend the money), it's not like the Rockets have luxury tax concerns that could haunt them in future seasons or anything.

Brewer still has some on-court value as a situational defender. Replacing him with a guy like Daniels would only reduce team salary by a couple hundred thousand dollars, while potentially weakening (ever-so-slightly) the team in the playoffs. Not to say that a guy like Daniels isn't a better longer-term play. Just that Brewer has his own advantages for this season.

Still, that whole salary filler for another trade thing is probably the biggest reason to keep him around.

16. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

We signed Brewer to show that we do care about defense on this team.

We don't play him because we actually don't care about defense.

1 person likes this.
  17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

If we can get Dunleavy,it will be great! But I don't think Chicago will give up him.
    Dunleavy played very bad in the beginning of season, but was playing vey good recently.

18. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

We need a defensive sg/sf, but the guy shouldn't be Brewer
    Morey should bring a 3D guy like B.Rush

19. Play07

Play07 Member

shumpert a month ago, NY wanted him gone, not now probably

20. Toast

Toast Member

Nice article, Clutch!

I think the implication here is keeping Brewer is a sign that Asik can be moved this season (paired with Brewer's expiring contract).

But even if a trade doesn't pan out, the Rockets can still benefit from an expiring contract, so it's the safe bet.