1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A.I. is the most overrated player and the 6ers are the most overrated team in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheReasonSF3, Aug 9, 2001.

1. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I know a lot of people are going to be mad about me saying this, but it's what I believe. I think Allen Iverson is the most overrated player in the NBA and the Sixers are the most overrated team . I'm tired of hearing people say Iverson is the best player in the NBA and best small player ever. He isn't that good. Since I live close to Philly I have to hear all of this garbage everyday, of how Iverson is the best player in the NBA, the Sixers are the NBA's best team (the Lakers are but some Philly fans are too biased). The East is so pathetic. The Rockets swept all of the teams the Sixers beat to make it to the finals in the Regular season! If any Western Conference Playoff team was in the East they would win the East. I have heard people talk about 'Iverson's heroic performances in the playoffs'. In Iverson's career his shooting percentage is UNDER 40 PERCENT! In the playoffs this season he shot 38.9% from the field. Those are not MVP type stats. Some people say he carried them to the Finals and I don't think he did. He shot horrible percentages in every series. I am not an LA fan but the real MVP last season was Shaq. He proved it in the finals. Iverson shots the ball way too much. He averaged 30 field goal attempts in the playoffs and 25.5 in the regular season. If the Franchise took that many shots per game he'd be averaging 35 points per game. I remember the game in Philly when the Franchise made Iverson look stupid. He crossed him up so bad. One play A.I. even fell down :D. A.I. shot 9/28 that game. I think Francis is better than A.I. and that A.I. isn't even one of the top 10 players in the NBA.

2. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

How many Western Conference teams got a victory against the Lakers in the playoffs last year?

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I completely disagree. For a guy at 6 feet to dominate the way he did last year, Iverson showed me something. He definitely was the MVP, leading the 76ers to one of the best records in the NBA, the reason Shaq wasn't MVP was because LA came out of the gates slow because of how out-of-shape he was. LA didn't start clicking until the the midway point of the season when Shaq finally played himself into shape. Iverson carried them to the Finals, he constantly hit the big shots, he was a dominate scorer, it doesn't matter how many shots he takes, as long as he hits them. I'm not a Lakers OR 76ers fan, but the 76ers were a pretty good team last year. They were the only team in the playoffs to even beat LA, not even the teams in the West could do that! And I'm not ready to put Francis up there with Iverson yet ONLY because Francis doesn't have the mental toughness that Iverson had accumulated during his years in the NBA. In other words, Iverson has more experienced, and it showed when he and the 76ers put it together last year to get to the Finals. Without Iverson, the 76ers don't make the playoffs last year, and are a sub.-500 team.

4. Shandon Anversen

the bucks were robbed.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets swept the Bucks, and the Bucks swept the top 4 teams in the Western conference. Does that make us better than the top 4 teams? No. Just because we swept all the teams the 76ers played in the East to get to the finals does not mean we were better than them all.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I agree!

I think the Sixers are in for an ass whooping this year :mad:

7. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

The Lakers hadn't played in 10 days so I think they were a little bit rusty going into game 1. The Sixers stole game 1 but didn't win a game for the rest of the series. I was there at game 5 when they lost it :).

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The 76ers team was completely banged up, so the Lakers should have been able to beat them. Again though, the Spurs rolled over and got pounded, the 76ers were in every game in the series. That speaks volumes. You don't get to the NBA Finals by accident, and the East is a little better then people give them credit for. Charlotte, Milwaukee, Philly and a healthy Orlando can hang with pretty much anyone in the West. I think Philly is getting the praise they deserve.

9. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

RocketsMellenium, I'd have to disagree with that. I was at a book store and I saw in NBA Inside Stuff Magazine that they had the Sixers on the cover. I think it was there first issue since the Finals and they put the Sixers on the cover and not the Lakers. There was an article thought on the Lakers called Dynasty or something like that, but they should be on the cover instead of the Sixers.

10. haven

haven Member

The 76ers were an elite team last year. But it was silly the way that they earned all the hardware when they only tied for the best record in the NBA and played in a significantly easier conference.

IMO, LA was the best, followed by San Antonio, Sacramento, and then Philly. The Bucks, Jazz, and Mavs followed those guys.

Allen Iverson wasn't the best player in the NBA last year. His defense was good, but not great, and he wasn't reliable from the field.

But that's not the same as being the Most Valuable Player. Take Shaq away from the Lakers... and they're still a playoff team in all likliehood. Kobe would probably just pull a McGrady. Webber from the Kings... and they're fine. Peja, Christie, and Divac were all good. Duncan, DRobb, and Anderson all carried SA at points.

But take Iverson away from the Sixers, and they'd be lucky to make the playoffs, even in the East. Don't even mention Mutombo... we all saw his team-carrying abilities on the hawks. Iverson was was the team. So I think they were correct in awarding him the MVP.

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Without Allen Iverson- the Sixers win 15 games. With Allen Iverson, the Sixers win 56 games, make the Finals, and become the only team to get a win against the Lakers.

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

That was when steve went right and iverson pulled a muscle in his rib trying to stay with him! Iverson had to sit out a little after that and played bad after he came in. I'm glad steve gave that little twerp a taste of his own medicine! (I shouldn't say little...he's still 2 inches taller than me!)

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I agree SRF,
    If you replace Ivy with Stackhouse, the Sixers are the same team. No one would consider Jerry the MVP. Ivy can score, but hey so can about half the shooting guards in the leage. It doesn't help him that he is sub six foot. To me, Marbury can do everything Ivy can do, plus he can play point guard. If you gave Steve or Cat the same number of shots that they give to Ivy, they would average about 40 points per game, because they shoot for a better percentage. Ivy is an undersized, injury prone guard who lucked into have a team with good players and perfect chemistry. Put him on the Pistons and they don't win 20 games.

14. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

Allen Iverson has more heart than any player in the league right now. He carried his team to the finals, and I was damn impressed.

I hope Steve Francis was watching so he can see what "laying it all out on the court" really means.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The right guy was the Most Valuable Player last year. As others have said, there might be 5 individual players better than him and 5 more equal, but he meant the most to his team.

It is true the 6ers were only the 3rd or 4th best team in the league last year. But last years 6ers team was the best team in the East we have seen since the Bulls break-up. They, and AI, deserve the accolaids from what they did in the regular season and playoffs.