1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets formally ask permission to interview Mavs' Dwane Casey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Pride, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
    Rockets big admirers of Mavs coach Rick Carlisle and by extension Casey, who came to DAL w/Carlisle after all-too-brief stint as Sota coach

2. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
    Rockets formally ask permission to interview Mavs' Dwane Casey for coach vacancy. Mavs say yes but want to wait for suitable playoff break

3. buffalobills!!!

Hmm heard good things about Casey

4. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

The Houston Rockets have formally requested permission to interview Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Dwane Casey for their coaching vacancy, according to sources close to the situation.

The Mavericks, sources said, will grant that permission but have told the Rockets that they'd like to delay the interview until after Dallas' first-round series with Portland at the earliest so as not to disrupt the team's playoff preparations.

Sources said that Casey is one of the more serious candidates on a long list of potential Houston targets to replace Rick Adelman, which stems partly from the Rockets' high regard for Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle. Casey came to Dallas with Carlisle to run the Mavs' defense starting with the 2008-09 season after posting a record of 53-69 in 1½ seasons as head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The 54-year-old Casey has been waiting for second shot at a top job since being dismissed by Minnesota with a record of 20-20 during the 2006-07 season. He narrowly missed out on coaching jobs last summer with the Atlanta Hawks and Los Angeles Clippers and ranks as one of the league's most highly rated assistants.

The Houston Chronicle reported in Thursday's editions that the Rockets already have established contact with two other high-profile available coaches -- Mike Woodson and former Cavaliers coach/current ESPN NBA analyst Mike Brown -- and have interviews scheduled next week with former Mavericks assistant Mario Elie (now with Sacramento) and current Rockets assistant Jack Sikma.

Sources say that the Rockets will not rush their search, however, to allow for the possibility that candidates not currently available -- such as Orlando's Stan Van Gundy -- could suddenly hit the market like Adelman did, depending on what happens in the playoffs.

Other assistants whose teams are still in the playoffs, such as Boston's Lawrence Frank and San Antonio's Mike Budenholzer, also are expected to draw interest from the Rockets. The Chronicle reported that Houston also has interest in longtime Lakers assistant Brian Shaw if Shaw is not chosen by LA to replace the outgoing Phil Jackson.

Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6402661

1 person likes this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I like him. Got screwed in Minny-so.
    Bad speller but smart coAch.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I like Dwane Casey. Good Xs and Os guy. The Clippers were idiotic for choosing Del Negro over him.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

wtf? is it just me or are the rockets only interested in black coaches?

1 person likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Is the Hedgehog Black?

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm thinking Joerger, Casey, and Budenholzer will all end up on the short list. I'd rather go with one of them than Brown or Woodson, but I like Woodson over Brown between the two.

10. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

agree

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Brian Shaw is an interesting choice, would be funny if we got him and Adelman ended up with the Lakers.

12. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Black
    Dwane Casey
    Mike Woodson
    Mike Brown
    Mario Elie
    Brian Shaw

White
    Rick Carlisle
    Jack Sikma
    Stan Van Gundy
    Lawrence Frank
    Mike Budenholzer

Let's see...5 white guys and 5 black guys replacing a white guy that replaced a white guy that replaced a white guy. Yeah, I think you're right. They're only looking for a black coach.

Racist much? :grin:

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

a defensive minded, x's and o's type guy?

[​IMG]

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

why do people say things like this? why? :rolleyes:

15. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

Yeah, I like Casey.. Just saw in his bio that he's worked with George Karl, Nate McMillan and Flip Saunders.. now with Carlisle.

He won UK's all-academic award and was a business major so he might be able to take Morey's analytics into account more than some player coaches. Seems like he'd work his tail off.

Just get a feeling like the more cerebral types, Budenholzer and Casey, are at the top of the list.

16. Fiah

Fiah Member

I like this

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

yes, it's just you.

18. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Sounds like he is already more accomplished than Mike Brown. I don't want that man in Houston even interviewing.

Maybe we can get Mike Brown's white guy assistant.

[​IMG]

19. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

20. vick

vick Member

I dont care what color the coach is, just win ua a title