1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Addition of Ronald Murray to the Sonics affect the Rockets making the playoffs??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce Rings, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Ronald Murray: 36.8 Min, 50% FG%, 36.4% 3-Pt%, 23.8 pts/gm, 5.2 rebounds/gm, 4.3 assists/gm, and 1.2 steals/gm

I know it's early and usually I would say it's too early to get excited about a previously unkown player's fast start, but I've been checking out some of the Sonics' games on League Pass and Ronald Murray looks like the real deal. You see his stat line above and if you watch him play, you'll realize that he simply seems quicker than everyone else on the court with him. He has speed combined with excellent ball handling skills combined with a good jumpshot. He's a beast on the fast break as his speed leads to a lot of uncontested lay-ups or two on ones and yes, he's shown that he can pass too.

Ronald Murray is currently filling in for the injured Ray Allen, but if he's going to put up the above numbers consistently, then there is no way he will be going back to the bench. Either the Sonics are going to use Allen at the 2 and Murray at the 3 with Lewis at the 4 and Barry at the 1 or they are going to be making some deadline deals, using Murray or more likely, Allen, as trade bait to fill some of their other needs.

I post this in the BBS because the Sonics are one of a handful of teams in the western conference along with the Rockets that many expect to be competing for the final two playoff spots in the western conference. What does the surprise addition of Ronald Murray do to the Rockets playoff hopes in the west?

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Obviously he can play, but Ray Allen is the veteran, so Ray is going to get his touches. He makes them a better team. No doubt. And he brings some credentials so I expect he's here to stay. But I don't think it will impact the Rockets. We are going to get our fair share of wins this year. We have a better team than Seattle. We have a better front court and at the very worst an equivalent back court to the sonics. I don't expect the rockets to be that close to the sonics, but it we are, I think we'll beat them in head to head matches and pull away.

3. The Voice of Reason

Not so sure it will make any difference.

Now if the Sonics were a team with great big men and crapy guards and they had an unknow like this come out scoring 23/game at SG it would be different. I mean if they had an injured starter of little skill, and this guy came in and impressed improving their team outlook I woud care. Ray allen does more than this guy, so i think he is just keeping them competitive while their star is down.

4. Deuce Rings

But, Ray Allen is also more expensive than this guy which is why I think the Sonics would seriously look at trading Allen if Murray's numbers keep up. Also, this is no knock on Allen, but having watched some of Murray's early season games, I'm not sure Murray isn't doing a lot of things better than Allen has ever done them (especially defensively). I'm saying that Murray looks like all star material to me when I watch him, not just some role player that's hot in the early going. The best thing I can say about Murray is that when you watch the Sonics play, he is the player your eyes go to because right now he is the best player on the court when the Sonics play. Another month and we'll know for sure.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Murray's play has been unbelievable! All the more reason why the Sonics fleeced the Bucks in the Ray Allen for Gary Payton trade. I didn't like it then (we all knew Payton would leave) and like it even worse now that Murray is busting out.

However in terms of the Sonics making the playoffs, I just don't see it. They still are very thin in the post and that makes them vunerable. Their shooters are very good but how long will that last in a tough defensive game? Until they get consistant low post play I think they will be left out.

6. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Ronald Murray is on my Fantasy squad..and he's holdin' it down.. Looking at other guards..how about Gilbert Arenas? Kid's crazy.

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

No, they have no big guys. Remember the 8-2 start they had last year? Perimeter play can only take u so far. Ask the Rockets of 2001. :(

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

They were a threat to us before the season started and will continue to be one as the season progresses.

Ronald Murray does not increase their threat unless they do indeed end up trading Ray Allen for a good inside presence. But fat chance of that happening imo. There aren't many good inside players available, and I doubt they'd be traded for a sg, one of the deepest positions in the NBA right now.

9. Deuce Rings

I tend to agree that the Sonics are pretty thin inside and this will hinder the team's chances of reaching the post season. I do not, however, think the Soncis will keep both Ray Allen and Ronald Murray if Murray shows that his early season play is what you are going to get from him night in and night out. One other thing about the Sonics. Have you seen this team's passing ability? It is unreal. They put Brent Barry, Ronald Murray, and Luke Ridnour on the floor at the same time. It may not lead to a winning basketball team, but it sure is pretty to watch. If they did get a big man with these passing guards............

10. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Murray got some serious game on him! Kid has bright future in the league and Allen might find himself on the trading block, at least it's not a threat right now.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Marray looks good, but in terms of how his play affects the Rockets, he's just filling in Allen's role. Murray is too small for teh 3 btw.

12. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

I don't think so. I mean he is just filling in for Allen and seattle won't let him take up too many of Allen's minutes once he is healthy. I think he will get more minutes then he used to, but he will only ever be a good 6th man for them with their current line up.

I think they might trade either him or Allen in the near future, he would be worth a good trade for a big man up front.

13. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I don't care if Murray scores 90 points a game, that won't effect the Rockets playoff chances because they only play the Sonics four times a year anyway.

14. Sane

Sane Member

I think they should try and unload Ray Allen for Rasheed Wallace.

The current Sonics + Rasheed Wallace would be pretty damn good.

One thing's for sure: one of their SG's must go. Antonio Daniels is struggling, and so is Luke Ridnour. Barry, Allen, and Murray are all SG's.

Maybe we can send them MoT for Barry? We're too damn packed in the backcourt though.

If the Sonics keep both Allen and Murray (assuming he's for real), then it would be a waste of talent, because Ray Allen demands 40 minutes a game. If they don't make a move, I'd say they're a threat to snatch 8th seed. However, if they DO, and improve their PF position, then they may be threatning for 7th, possibly 6th.

How does this affect us though? The way we're playing, I'm thinking we're a lock for 6th seed. The Blazers aren't really making it work, and we're clearly better than the Suns (who are COMPLETELY healthy, and have added a C). Memphis will be on the outside looking in, and as for the Jazz, I think they'll burn out very soon.

Assuming the top 5 are LA, SA, DAL, SAC, and MIN... We're competing with these teams for the last 3 spots:

Suns
    Blazers
    Sonics
    Grizzlies
    Jazz
    Warriors
    Nuggets
    Clippers

Right now, these teams don't scare me whatsoever, I don't even see them coming within a few wins.

In my eyes, we're looking at 6th or 7th. Hopefully, that means we'll face the Mavericks.

15. tch

tch Member

trade M-To and CATO for allen ....

;)

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

first of all RMurray has come out of nowhere and surprised a bunch of people. but the key to the Sonics success will be 'Shard. He's probablly the best SF in the game. To think he could have been a Rocket...HE SHOULD'VE BEEN A ROCKET!

17. Panda

Panda Member

Murray is 6-4 and 180+ lbs. That's why he is faster than lots of guys. Once Ray Allen come back, Murray will probably back up 1 and 2. With Barry, Allen and Shard starting, that squad is pretty good. Murray significantly boosts the chance of the Sonics making the playoffs. Sonics have no quality big men but their frontcourt gives effort. Guess what, Sonics is 5-1 now.