1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-43] Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Zhou Qi?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

67.8%
  2. NO

32.2%
  1. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

RUSH HOUR ROCKETS STYLE starring Dirk Zhou-wts-Qi

Dirk Zhou-wits-Qi

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't hate. He has a legit point.

My friend and I signed up for a YMCA league when we were 15 because we wanted to dominate - and we did. Had we put up those numbers in D1 college we'd have been considered top 10 prospects.

3. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I like the potential of Qi - length, nice touch, fluid movement, range. It's a nice recipe, but as has been brought up he didn't face off against top competition and needs to gain bulk.

I'm more confused by the Louisville C we drafted. I wonder if we were hoping to grab Brogdon, and were left scrambling.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If Zhou put up the same stats as Dragen Bender did, does he go in the lottery? Go look up Dragen Bender stats. It's not about stats. A lot of euro guys get drafted based on their skill. Many of them don't even get a lot of playing time.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have to disagree about Ralph's NBA weight. I think he weighed at least 25 pounds more than Zhou Qi's 210, but I agree that those who believe Zhou could gain 40 or even 50 pounds are way off-base. I haven't a clue as to whether he'll become an effective NBA player, with the selection being quite a surprise to damn near all of us, but he's intriguing. I hope he works out for the Rockets. His height and quickness are an unusual combination, but he needs to put on enough weight to withstand the level of play in this league. The guy is going to be knocked around a lot. Whether he has the skill and coach-ability to make it is yet another question, of course. We'll find out.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Here we go again, talking about the long clutch fan tradition.

Its always those so called X ONLY FAN that will start to use the race card first?

And you are already mentioning him should be the #1 scoring option in order for him to be successful?

LOL

That really sounds familiar isn't it?

7. Terry Teagle

Terry Teagle Member

I don't think there will be a sizeable ZOF contingent. Lin is unique because he's a normal person, not some physical freak, and he represents the first Asian American player of note. Yao Ming, Yi Jianlian, Menke Bateer, Sun Yue, Mengke Bateer, Wang Zhizhi -- these guys were Chinese nationals and mostly tall dudes.

8. malakas

malakas Member

in a Euroleague team? Most likely yes.
    But with his defence Zhou would never get one minute from a coach in a Euroleague team.

The Chinese League and Europe are two different leagues and play the game MUCH different. In China the scores are higher and there is no defence, and players score more easily than the NBA in Europe the scores are much lower, the defence is crazy and tough and the priority and players score less easily.

9. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Qir up fans

Disclosure: I have no position in ZHOUQI, and I definitely have no business relationship with any company whose player is mentioned in this video.

Let me know if you want a cheap translator

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Kne1AnDjk3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Thanks for the video. A must see for the doubters. Dude knows how to block shots. And he showed some range too. Def. worth a look at pick 43.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

And Qi weighs more than Nerlens Noel did when he was drafted.

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Def I am more excited about this pick. He needs a quicker release to be effective in the NBA though. Mobility needs work too.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

There's a sizeable Mongolian population here in N. VA, DC, MD area and there would be tons of Mengke Bateer Only Fans if he was still playing just from where I'm at alone.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

43rd pick and people are still complaining....

1 thing about DM, his 2nd round picks are usually hits. Its his 1st round picks that I'm afraid of.

15. alethios

alethios Member

Man, his arm length tho! I don't care what you say, he's going to give players in the NBA fits at the basket too. Problem may be that NBA players know how to use their bodies to draw fouls, so he could also be a foul machine.

16. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

Keep him at his natural size. I loved when Yao could hit 20/10 every night, hated when his foot gave him problems and he was obviously worse. All that weight ruined him in my opinion. Not saying Qi will be Yao or a 20/10 player, but quickness is in now.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mengke Bateer played for the Chinese National team and I think any Chinese would root for him as well.

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

2 years into the league and we're going to be saying Hakeem who??? Right guys, right??

Nope.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My greatest fear is that after watching Qi play in the league, Hakeem may very well forget his own name as well.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Couple of vines

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just Michael Beasley dunking on Zhou Qi and a little extra <a href="https://t.co/bUi7URbDOw">pic.twitter.com/bUi7URbDOw</a></p>&mdash; kd➡️hou (@kd2houston2016) <a href="https://twitter.com/kd2houston2016/status/747153469979627521">June 26, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>