1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[SI] Rockets Plan Begins at the Free Throw Line

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SageHare6, May 5, 2009.

1. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Didn't see this anywhere. If posted, pls lock. Thought it was very insightful though... including mention of KL insights.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/05/05/rockets/?eref=sircrc

Ian Thomsen > INSIDE THE NBA

Rockets plan for toppling Lakers begins at the free-throw line

Yao Ming's late-game foul shooting sealed Game 1 win for Rockets over Lakers
    Rockets actively look to create free-throw shooting opportunities in each game Lakers center Andrew Bynum has struggled in limited minutes in the playoffs

Andrew Bynum's ability to stay out of foul trouble and defend Yao Ming is crucial for L.A.

When Yao Ming had to be helped off the floor to the locker room with an apparent knee injury Monday, the Lakers might have known trouble was on the way. In another second half of another opening game 11 months ago, Paul Pierce returned from an injury that saw him taken off the court in a wheelchair to nail them with three-pointers while establishing Boston's control of the NBA Finals.

In this case, Yao, too, returned in a hurry from his knee injury, but, of course, he didn't beat the Lakers with threes. Instead, he finished Houston's 100-92 upset in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals by going 6-for-6 from the foul line upon returning from the locker room with four minutes remaining. The Lakers had closed within 85-81 when Yao responded with eight of his postseason-best 28 points in the final 2:24.

Pending the health of his right leg following his knee-to-knee collision Monday with Kobe Bryant, Yao's ability to exploit the free-throw line is going to be a big issue in this series.

"The whole key is getting into the bonus," Rockets forward Shane Battier explained when I was around the team in March. "When we get into the bonus, Yao becomes the best center in basketball and a top-five player in the game -- it's because of the numbers, because he's so good at the free-throw line."

Battier was basing his claim on stats compiled by the unique front-office staff of general manager Daryl Morey, who declines to say how many analysts he has hired to break down the NBA statistically because he doesn't want to create a standard for rival teams.

"It's a big factor for us," Morey conceded of Yao's foul shooting. "Yao goes from being a very, very good player to a great player when we're in the bonus."

The issue of Yao's ability to exploit foul trouble is especially relevant in this series because of the vulnerability of L.A. center Andrew Bynum, who has struggled in the playoffs since returning in April from a midseason knee injury. Bynum is averaging 5.8 points and 3.0 rebounds in 15.3 minutes per game in the playoffs, and in Game 1 he was held to 15 minutes after drawing two fouls in the opening three minutes.

The Lakers will need the 285-pound Bynum -- their biggest player by far -- not only in this series against the 7-foot-6 Yao but also in a potential NBA Finals against the top-heavy Cavaliers, who have 7-3 Zydrunas Ilgauskas, 6-11 Anderson Varejao, 6-10 Joe Smith and 6-9 Ben Wallace.

Bynum's troubles also affect All-Star Pau Gasol, who must shift inside to play center in place of Bynum. Gasol is more valuable to the Lakers as a power forward who can exploit seams and make plays for others; when pushed inside against bigger centers, he is forced to become more of a blue-collar player, and the Lakers lose some of his creativity.

Another issue to watch throughout this series is the role of the Rockets' young point guards. As much as they helped Orlando by sending Rafer Alston to the Magic to replace Jameer Nelson at the trading deadline in February, the Rockets believed that three-team deal improved them with the acquisition of backup guard Kyle Lowry from Memphis. Whether the point is being run by starter Aaron Brooks or Lowry, the Rockets are now able to pressure opponents and push the ball all game long.

"Part of the Lowry trade was that he's another guy that gets to the line," Morey said, referring to Lowry's ability to draw fouls and put Yao in position to exploit the bonus. "The Lowry trade really clarified how we want to play at both ends. We can push the ball with our point guards up the floor, and if we can't get anything in transition then we get it to Yao [in the half court]. If they're either denying Yao heavily or double-teaming him, we can get spot-up shots out of that. And then late in the shot clock we can run high pick-and-roll with our guards. It's going to be hard to stop."

It's even harder for the Lakers because backup point guard Jordan Farmar -- a big contributor in last year's playoffs -- has given them 3.5 minutes in three playoff games while dealing with injuries this season.

For all of these issues, the Lakers still had their chances to win on a Monday night when Bryant needed 31 shots for his 32 points. It will be interesting to see how L.A. attempts to free him against the defense of Battier and Ron Artest (another player who created foul problems while going for 21 points and seven assists in Game 1). All of a sudden, the Lakers know what they're up against.

Very very impressed with you Mr. Morey. ;)

Methinks you are very insightful and very clever in your player peronnel analysis, and I salute you.

theSAGE

2. guangzu

guangzu Member

If Yao can get to the line 10 times each game like yesterday, Lakers are done.

3. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

More like 10 MORE times.

Rockets got to the line 29 times yesterday vs. 19 for the Lakers. Granted 6 of those, or more, came in the final 3 minutes of so of regulation, but there were a good number of no-calls imho (some leaving our players bloodied, bludgened and outright bewildered.) The silver lining is that we got as many FTAs as the Lakers ON their own turf. For any away game, knowing how poorly and inconsistent things have been officated in the past, I'm 100% happy if we get a near equal number of free throws as the Lakers.

In Houston, I would fully expect the Rockets to continue getting a good number of FTAs. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see them average 20+ through the two games in Houston prior to the closing two minutes of he game.

imho, I also think Yao will have another whopper of a game in Game 3 at Houston and just feast on the line courtesy of Bynum. Bynum's quick. But he can be sloppy. Esp. after his little injury. If Yao stays aggressive, there's no reason we can't get the Lakers into the penalty with good time remaining in each quarter. The other guy who draws fouls well, is as the article said, KL. Note that KL's drawn fouls tend to get called during fast breaks when he is pushing the ball and pushing the action - both good signs that we are staying aggressive.

The free throw differential outcome will also be interesting insofar as how well we keep Kobe OFF the line in addition to how well we minimize the number of fast break oppportunities for the Lakers. For these reasons, I'll be looking acutely at our FTAs per game.

;)

theSAGE

4. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

There are many keys to the rockets success and one of them is definantly their FT shooting and their propensity to keep the other team off the line. We're one of the best teams at keeping the other teams best foul shooters off the line.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great article and I can't believe that its not a given that free throw shooting is very valuable to a team's success. Just consider that the Rockets could've won game 2 against Portland if they hit free throws up to their average. Adelman probably remembers how missed free throws cost the Kings from winning game 7 against the Lakers.

One of the things that has bothered me about the NBA over the past 10 years is how much free throw shooting has declined particularly among big men. We are blessed to have a big man who shoots free throws reliable enough to take technicals for us. There are few other teams that can say that.

6. blender

blender Member

That neatly sums up our offensive philosophy.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

From Basketball-reference. Since the 06-07 playoffs, the Rockets are 10 for 20 in post season games. Out of those 10 losses, 4 of them we could have won if we hit more free throws. On top of that, the first one was a game 7!

5/5/07 - L99-103, 24/33 FTM
    4/19/08 - L93-82, 18/29 FTM (a tie if we hit 100%, so not counted)
    4/21/08 - L84-90, 16/26 FTM
    4/26/08 - L82-86, 17/25 FTM
    4/21/09 - L103-107 22/32 FTM

I'm sure the statistics would make it even more apparent if you look at our wins and how important hitting free throws were to those. So its not even the aggression to draw fouls, or the refs to call them, but just making the ones we are given that control our destiny. It breaks my heart seeing how often our consistent FT shooters go 1-2 especially Brooks. There was a game this season where Yao missed 4 in a row, my brain nearly exploded.

8. bugerking3

bugerking3 Member

Hidden in this article lies another nugget of "OMG Morey's a genius".

Kyle Lowry draws fouls. Yes, that's good, everyone knows that's good. News flash, aggressive players are good.

But Morey saw that Yao Ming becomes even more beastly once we're in the penalty.

Which means that Kyle Lowry in his own way makes Yao ming more beastly.

Whowouldathunkit?

Here we are, quibbling over "OMG HE HAZ NO RANGE", and Morey snickers and says "He still makes Yao better".

Morey > us

9. jedicro

jedicro Member

I'm pretty sure that's one of the first things I noticed when we got him. I didn't directly make the direct connection to Yao, but it makes plenty sense. Having players that draw fouls is always a good thing.

10. jedicro

jedicro Member

And while I like the article, I have to disagree with the title. I don't even think an explanation is needed. (hint: defence)